News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 792     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
As large a building as it is, it still comes down to the math. It's just a question of whether the lost revenue for 5 years of reconstruction plus the cost of the building itself justifies the potential for new income from additional space plus whatever premium they can charge for space in a successful building. But given the location and the history of the site I can't see the city seriously opposing a megaproject on that land, and that allows for some interesting math to come into play. They could easily look at doubling or tripling (or more) the available retail space, plus making the space way more functional. The theatre and restaurants have been successful, but with more space they could look at expanding them and adding additional entertainment draws. They could add significantly more office space (the market must be there, if the Atrium is looking to expand), add classroom space for Ryerson, put in condos/hotel, you name it. Throw in some civic improvements (+15 connections, improved TTC interface, public realm sutff) and I actually think this thing is more likely to happen than the Oxford redevelopment of MTCC.

I don't see 1.5 to 2 million square feet occupying the site. Tearing the Ryerson garage down and expanding the complex into that space would remedy many of the internal layout issues.

Cineplex sign earlier today

xOkiKAh.jpg:small

That signage looks pretty bad, especially with the cardboard behind the window. You would think a shopping complex this big and prominent, would have much more professional looking signage. That's just pathetic.

The city should never have issued the demolition permit without leases being signed for occupancy and funds raised to start construction immediately after demo. Construction didn't take long, the site just sat empty for a decade with the famous blue hoarding surrounding it. That reminds me, the city should never have authorized advertising on the hoarding. PenEquity was still making money while the city's interests weren't being met. There wasn't enough incentive to get the damn thing going.

I don't think this will happen again, first because we have a very active City Councillor in charge, second because this location has gotten so much more valuable so every week that it's not occupied is millions of dollars in rent flushed down the toilet and third, it's already fully occupied with tenants happy to remain and more lining up to take the place of those leaving.

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse, but it also took more than 10 years for this to be built, at one of our busiest intersections. This should not happen again.

It took about two years from start to finish. It sat as an empty lot after demolition was complete, full of weeds and gravel for eight or so years.

The latest interior shots by me

IMG_20140101_221007.jpg

Looks like they are painting the underside of the piping and HVAC systems that run through the foodcourt.

Basement work looks like it's still in progress.

Back