News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 595     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
This corner has definitely changed. Despite the eyesore that is 10 Dundas East, I have to admit that it has changed for the better.

While I favour a move of the lobby to the corner of Yonge + Dundas, with most of the façade facing Yonge, a less invasive revitalization could be done by installing an additional escalator between the 2nd and 3rd floor. The existing one was put where it was to facilitate the movement of patrons exiting the AMC theatre. Nonetheless, the absence of a down escalator when you arrive on the 3rd floor via the main bank of escalators is disorienting.

In addition, there's a serious handicap that prevents AMC from attaining the level of exposure that would be mutually beneficial to the theatre and the complex as a whole. That patrons must go up 3 long escalators just to reach the movie theatre lobby relegates this tenant to one tucked away and out of sight, far short of its status as the principal tenant. They tried to make up for it by placing AMC logos on the escalators at lower levels and a ticket booth in the street level lobby. Both attempts fail. The only way to reverse this is to make AMC's presence felt throughout the complex, regardless of which level you're on. An express elevator running up the middle of the escalator well would accomplish this. Existing escalators would have to be moved around or a larger well cut out, but I think it could be quite spectacular.

Finally, there's no getting around the fact that the entire building is extremely deficient in interior design. The blank canvas is there. It could be made into something beautiful by a talented interior designer. A design competition could be a valuable PR move that has the potential to reboot this building in the minds of Torontonians.

I dont think a Giant Esculator would work. Im sure it wouldnt fit but more importantly the reason esculators break is because too many people stand on them and eventually the motor gives out or needs maintenance.. If you had a giant esculator you would potentially have 2-3 times as many ppl on it with a motor that is probably the same size. At least I am pretty sure that they dont make different size motors. But I guess anything can be custom made.

I dont think a Giant Esculator would work. Im sure it wouldnt fit but more importantly the reason esculators break is because too many people stand on them and eventually the motor gives out or needs maintenance.. If you had a giant esculator you would potentially have 2-3 times as many ppl on it with a motor that is probably the same size. At least I am pretty sure that they dont make different size motors. But I guess anything can be custom made.

I didn't suggest a giant escalator, I proposed an express elevator. It would stop only on the main floor and AMC lobby.

In fact, Jack Astors already does this. There's an express elevator off of Victoria that goes straight into Jack Astors from the street.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect HMV to last five more years. Everything it sells will be online at that point unless they radically change their business model.

When I heard that HMV sustained damage from the fire next door I privately wondered if they would collect the insurance and run, for the very reason listed above. I'm glad they're re-opening, I'm one of those types that buys (and prefers) physical media and I like the competition and selection in the area.

I don't know, I don't see HMV going anywhere. But what do I know. I still buy Blu-rays.

Anyway I think AMC does need a better presence on the ground floor, like having more ticket sales downstairs. I don't know how much space would be liberated if the lobby was at the corner and Adidas at the side but it could work possibly.

I didn't suggest a giant escalator, I proposed an express elevator. It would stop only on the main floor and AMC lobby.

In fact, Jack Astors already does this. There's an express elevator off of Victoria that goes straight into Jack Astors from the street.

I have never seen this elevator in operation the doors on Victoria are always locked.

I wouldn't expect HMV to last five more years. Everything it sells will be online at that point unless they radically change their business model.

Online stuff is terrible quality.
I still buy vinyl whenever I can find it because that is by far the best sound quality. CD's may have worse quality than records but it's still better than mp3.
I really, REALLY hope those stores don't die out, I don't want to have to resort to buying online garbage.
This is especially the case with Blockbuster. I don't even have a Blu-ray player so I still get DVDs from Blockbuster all the time. Movies are the same as music in the sense that both are of terrible quality online. I don't care if they have "HD" online downloads, the sound quality is still atrocious and you have to watch it on a small computer screen. I'll take my DVDs on a 42" any day of the week over downloading.

I think ultimately 10 Dundas East despite its many issues has made its anchor tenants pretty happy. AMC, FutureShop and Jack Astors/Milestones seem to do very very well.

In the future, it's probably best to look at other sites around the square that could be redeveloped, especially on the east side. The Imperial Pub site, for example, may give way for something more tourist-friendly.

I would think the Hakim site would be ideal for redevelopment. The triangle parking lot on the corner there definitely leaves Dundas Square with a sense of being unfinished. Putting in something there that acted as sort of a mirror to the City TV building (former Olympic Spirit building) would work well, and sort of 'close off' the square. If that were to happen, the Imperial would be somewhat covered. However, if you were to redevelop that entire half-block (Hakim, Imperial, the Mosque on the 2nd floor of that building, etc), it could potentially be a great thing.

The revival of this thread got me interested in its status with the new owners so I asked one of my contacts (a lawyer for a former investor). He said that they're not sitting on their hands with this building and are perfectly aware that it's a mess and needs serious investment to bring it up to standard. Their main motivation is that they're not able to charge the kind of rent that Eaton Centre and even Atrium on Bay can charge despite their prominent location.

At the moment, they're actively seeking a naming rights sponsor to help fund renovations.

oh.... and by the way, for those wondering, they're not interested in the former Empress Hotel site. If you think this building's navigation is already complicated, it would be much more so if they had to integrate that site into the plan. Plus HMV isn't selling any time soon. It's Ryerson's for the taking.... and I'm glad. It'll make a great gateway with both sides belonging to the university.

Back