News   Jul 12, 2024
 671     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 643     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 286     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
3D billboards along the Gardiner? That doesn't make sense. I don't know of many cars with polarized red/green windshields; in fact, that sounds kind of hazardous

^^^ Hahaha.

This is what I mean:

imgbillboard2mz3.jpg

cheeseblock2dr2.jpg

3dxs2.jpg

There was also that Air Canada one with an airplane fuselage breaking through both sides of the billboard. It was around for a long time.

I really don't know about this 3D advertising ban. There are almost always 3D billboards along the Gardiner for airlines.

I don't blame you for being skeptical, I was surprised when i read it, too. I think it's a situation rather like being open on Boxing Day, no action is taken unless there is a complaint, and you'd want to be a huge lame-o to complain.

Well, here's your lame-os.

http://illegalsigns.ca/2007/02/19/ad-nauseum-three-dimensional-billboards/

They even mention the Dairy Milk sign.

In Dundas Square, Titan Outdoor has erected an illegal 3D display for Dairy Milk. While a site-specific exemption to the by-law allows very limited three dimensional signage at this location, this sign is operating under permit 01-1150908 and that permit regulates all roof-top signage at this location. The permit allows signs that conform to this diagram, a diagram that does not permit the Dairy Milk 3D elements. Because the permit is open, we sent the building inspector to inspect the signs. We have not pressed for the removal of this sign although we advise Titan Outdoor to cease and desist from using this space, or any other space, for illegal 3D displays regardless of whether a variance application has been filed.

So wait, a variance has been applied for, and yet they still threaten and send in the city inspector? I truly hate these people.

Exactly. Except they are not anti-corporate, they just fight to keep the Canadian law system accountable to big or small corporations, which have grown accustomed to decreased regulation. They would be more than happy to challenge even a small business that puts up an illegal sign.

Rubbish. Don't try and tell me it's not the anti-corporate Adbusters set doing this. I refuse to believe these same people would work toward the enforcement of panhadling bylaws. I don't care much for either of these laws for the record, but there's no way this isn't anti-advertising interest group. They're just using bylaws to help with their "culture jamming". Barf.

If there's a sign in your neighbourhood which is causing you grief, by all means tell city hall, but to go around taking pictures of people cutting down trees around signs (were they on a stake out? Did they get a tip-off that this might happen? Or do they spend all day, every day hanging around signs because something like this might happen?) is almost sad. And to call them "CBS Outdoor’s Butchers" is ridiculously overly dramatic.
These people obviously hate outdoor advertising, and fine. Just don't try and tell me they're only interested in standing up for the law (as is evident in their appreciation of vandalizing of outdoor signs).

I don't get it, why are these guys so against 3D signs?

They certainly go out of their way to have them torn down.

I don't get it, why are these guys so against 3D signs?

They certainly go out of their way to have them torn down.

They're actually against all signs. Of course, the official line is they're only against illegal signs, but I don't buy it. Illegal signs are just the only ones they can do anything about. While I won't accuse them of the vandalism which occours to many an outdoor sign, it seems they sympathize with the vandals (sorry, culture jammers) who perpetrate the behaviour.
I'd actually be much happier if they only went after the 2D signs as the 3D ones tend to be interesting. But as city hall is too busy trying to get washrooms put in everywhere to change this particular law, it is still illegal to have 3D billboards in TO. As 3D ads are always illegal (without a variance), they are an easy target for this group.

Dundas square could certainly benefit from some eye-popping 3D signs, but anyone who tries it is going to have these guys right up their ass. Really, it's the city's fault, but it probably wouldn't be an issue were it not for this group. I doubt anyone else knows or cares about such bylaws. Hell, even most of the urban mega-nerds on this board don't know about them.

I've never heard of this 3D sign ban until now. I've got to say that is the most absurd thing I have read in months. Could this be what killed the cheesy roof elements at TLS? So what happens to the Sam's sign for example? Mothball it forever? Give me a break.

Existing signage is usually protected. Remember all those store signs that used to hang out over the sidewalk? They're illegal now but the existing ones can stay until they're taken down or fall down and kill someone. Besides, I think I read somewhere that the Sam's signs would actually be inside the new building.

Why are they illegal?

Who knows? Safety issues?

And how can they be put up in the first place if they are illegal?

Like anything illegal, people just do it despite the law. From the stories on illegalsigns.ca, even when they're reported, the city seems to not give much of a crap (good).
The city doesn't have the means to enforce a lot of their bylaws, and much of the public are ignorant and/or apathetic to such laws as they don't really make a difference in their lives, so there isn't a lot of pressure to enforce them. It's hardly an election issue.

Existing signage is usually protected. Remember all those store signs that used to hang out over the sidewalk? They're illegal now but the existing ones can stay until they're taken down or fall down and kill someone.

I've always wondered why it is that in a downtown with such heavy pedestrian traffic there there are no signs that are perpendicular to the sidewalk/building. Go to Europe and having signs hanging from the buildings so you can actually see it as a pedestrian is the norm.

You can't even tell that there is a Best Buy on the south side of Dundas when you're standing on the south sidewalk. The signage appears to be designed only for people standing on the opposite side of the street.

Now I know why.

Back