News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Agreed that they have the concept spot-on, but that is no excuse to half-ass something. The fact is more than just the youth go to dundas square. Isnt it the busiest intersection in Canada (if not, one of the); we should not gear it towards one specific target, the youth, but make it a universal destination for everybody. Yes, that means actually trying to produce quality buildings.

People don't go to Yonge and Dundas to view "good architecture". They go to Yonge and Dundas to shop and be a part of the scene or vibe that happens down there. It's geared towards youth and as far as I'm concerned it seems that it (TLS) hits the spot on target.

So where do people go to see good architecture? And should we only have good architecture in that particular area (or strive to have it everywhere possible)? And should we be content with bad architecture everywhere else?

I was having a cig with two of the JA's waitresses downstairs, and they were saying that there are already regular customers...it's also packed almost all the time. Sounds like a success story so far. Are the prices as insane as rumoured?

So where do people go to see good architecture? And should we only have "good architecture" in that particular area (or strive to have it everywhere possible)? And should we be content with bad architecture everywhere else?

Why put "good architecture" somewhere it won't be understood or appreciated? As for your question, where should people go to see "good architecture", I guess that all depends on what each one of us considers "good architecture" and that could be anywhere in this city for all anyone here is concerned. (or vice-versa).

Also...

We have already established from the previous posts what type of crowd hangs out at Yonge and Dundas, and this building non-descript as it is, does the job of creating the electronic eye candy the teen-boppers seem to love. On top of that it has all they stuff they love inside. (ie. movies, candy, icecream hamburgers, electronics. etc etc).

It does what it does, and it is what it is.

So where do people go to see good architecture? And should we only have good architecture in that particular area (or strive to have it everywhere possible)? And should we be content with bad architecture everywhere else?

Go somewhere else. I couldn't tell you because honestly I don't give a rat's behind about architecture. All I care is that it's fun and functional. Architecture Schmarcitecture. Pffft.

Going to "see architecture", is thankfully usually the last thing on a person's mind when they're heading to Yonge/Dundas.

Is architecture like that new age word now that people love to use to sound haughty?

OnceAThief...

This building was not meant to be haute couture. It was meant to be functional & economical. Build a box, cover it with electronic advertising, fill it with movies and electronics and cover your bills, pay your shareholders and pensioners.

Honestly, not rocket science.

By the way.....

I don't think the haughty and haute couture crowd hang at Yonge & Dundas.

LOL, last few comments seem to have confused good architecture with some sort of monument. Good architecture belongs everywhere, the marriage of form and function. You should expect, even demand, that everything down to the loley backyard shed gives that.

Back to TLS... I'm actually more disturbed by the function side of things. Like someone said, its one of the busiest intersections. So instead of inviting the street in, much of the complex meets the street with stairwells, faux retail facades and an employee locker room/lounge. Nice, the youth will enjoy that.

Back to TLS... I'm actually more disturbed by the function side of things. Like someone said, its one of the busiest intersections. So instead of inviting the street in, much of the complex meets the street with stairwells, faux retail facades and an employee locker room/lounge. Nice, the youth will enjoy that.

You make the point exactly..... kids don't think in this kind of detail.

(From a business point of view you would be like: Why employ more financial resources than necessary on the rug-rats???)

Why put "good architecture" somewhere it won't be understood or appreciated?
So, at what age should people stop being subjected to bad architecture? I think labeling all "young people" as ignorant fools who can't understand or appreciate art is a bit offensive.

(From a business point of view you would be like: Why employ more financial resources than necessary on the rug-rats???)
Yikes. We aren't talking about toddlers here, caltrane! I think you are severely underestimating the under-25 crowd. We weren't all D-students at this point in our life. This is an entertainment complex for everyone. When people say it's geared towards "youth" they don't mean the type of youth who frequent McDonald's Fun Land.

Go somewhere else. I couldn't tell you because honestly I don't give a rat's behind about architecture. All I care is that it's fun and functional. Architecture Schmarcitecture. Pffft.

Going to "see architecture", is thankfully usually the last thing on a person's mind when they're heading to Yonge/Dundas.

Is architecture like that new age word now that people love to use to sound haughty?
Why are you hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

True, they don't think it. But they do experience it just like everyone else, they are just less conscious of it.

Let's not forget about tourists, people in town for business and tens of thousands of "adults" who live in the area and go there to shop regularly. TLS is at the heart of downtown Toronto's shopping area so it's not just about local youth, this is an extremely prominent location.

I don't know about you guys, but when I was "young" (Yonge-Dundas age?), I was able to distinguish between a well-designed building and a poorly designed one. Same goes for pretty much all of my peers. Geez, some of you are completely out of touch with youth!

Should all elderly intensive care units be built like precast prison boxes just because old people are going to die soon anyway?

You think adults deserve good architecture? Look where most of them choose to live (suburban cookie cutter pomo houses, hideous north york condos, etc). Should "adult" venues be a reflection of that?

This is argument is ridiculous. Age is not an excuse for bad design.

Edit: I'm sorry, but I'm just astounded at this. Some of you have a really low opinion of youth! When you get old, do your younger years become so blurred that finger painting, driver training, and university graduation might as well have happened in the same week?

So, at what age should people stop being subjected to bad architecture? I think labeling all "young people" as ignorant fools who can't understand or appreciate art is a bit offensive.

No of course not all youth are "ignorant". But can we make the assumption that the kids that hang out at Dundas Sqaure are?.. I mean....for arguements sake.

Yikes. We aren't talking about toddlers here, caltrane! I think you are severely underestimating the under-25 crowd. We weren't all D-students at this point in our life. This is an entertainment complex for everyone. When people say it's geared towards "youth" they don't mean the type of youth who frequent McDonald's Fun Land.

Your right the complex is aimed at everyone. But lets face facts, the main draw is the kiddie contingent. Once you have them, the older crowd will follow..hence the "Jack Astors" & "Milestones" on the upper floors to accompany the AMC megaplex.

I'm going to make another assumption as follows: A-students probably find the whole idea of Yonge & Dundas offensive. They probably do their best to avoid the entire area like the plague. High-falutin' teens probably like to go art galleries & museums and could not be bothered in the least with gawdy media squares. Hence, they were probably not figured into the equation when the design and construction of the building was underway.

I think I have finally read the worst excuses and ultimate apology for the crap that is TLS, and it so sad to read. People are actually excusing bad architecture for the most illogical reasons (young people????? seriously???? that is the best you can do???).

Back