khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
TTC wait times on texts, screens
New next-arrival-time messages let riders grab coffee – or a cab

Dec 16, 2008 04:30 AM
Tess Kalinowski
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

If information is power, then the TTC is about to put a little bit more of it into the hands of riders.

A new $5.2 million GPS-based screen system means TTC patrons will have access to next-vehicle-arrival information on streetcar and bus platforms by early 2010.

But even before that system is fully installed, riders will be able to get information about when the next bus or streetcar will arrive via text messages on their cellphones.

LCD displays inside stations will show when the next several vehicles are due to arrive and map where other streetcars and buses are located down the route. LED screens, which are less susceptible to weather conditions, will announce next-vehicle-arrival information on platforms.

By late next year, similar information will be available on LED screens at about 350 outdoor transit shelters across the city.

Giving riders the ability to learn how far down the line the next vehicle is means they can grab a cab instead or take time to get a coffee, depending on their schedule.

"It will give people more information to make intelligent decisions about how they travel and move around the city, and that's critical," said TTC chair Adam Giambrone, who showed off the new screens at the 510 Spadina streetcar platform yesterday.

The system is expected to become increasingly accurate as it records data based on variations in the vehicles' travel pattern and calculates the differences, he said.

Also coming to the TTC next year is a text-based system that will allow riders to receive next-vehicle-arrival information for the more than 10,000 bus and streetcar stops in the city via text messaging. Each stop will post a number that riders can use to access that information.

About 6,000 of the TTC's surface stops have shelters. The new shelters being installed as part of the city's street furniture project are wired to work with the LED signs. But it's not clear yet which shelters will get the displays, said TTC spokesperson Brad Ross.

"There's a criterion that needs to be established with respect to which shelters those go in. There are about 3,000 stops that are fairly major intersections," he said.

A next-train arrival system for the subway will be installed on subway platforms around the city early next year.

"No matter where you are, you will have access to real-time information at your stop," Giambrone said.

The same information will be available on the TTC's web page.

More is coming in the next year, including the opportunity to sign up for email alerts on problems in the system. Next summer, the TTC hopes to launch a trip planner that will help riders map and time a route anywhere on the system.

Source

I'm very excited about this.

What is the best part is they plan to put the LED signs at most stops.

Imagine a world where you no longer need to wait for the Queen streetcar...

Ok, you will still need to wait, but knowing whether to walk or wait is going to be very nice.

Saw it at Union Station today. The letters are bright enough to blind you without wearing sun glasses, and it's annoying how with each update, the arrival time can change by up to 6 minutes. It sounds from the article that the system will learn how to better predict arrival times with each passing day, which is pretty cool! My only comment is to turn down the brightness of the sign.

The most important requirement of these signs is they be able to show the branch/destination of each bus, otherwise it could be slightly more than useless.

They must also be able to account for a bus that will layover in a terminal, these is no point in having a sign at a subway station saying a bus is 'due' when its really parked on the other side of the terminal with it's driver taking a 15 minute break.

These are a lot better then whatever VIVA uses .....

The most annoying thing with the VIVA system.
For whatever reason the time cannot go up - so many times I've been waiting with the arrival time stuck on 5min ... 2/3 min later it goes down to 4min. Makes the whole thing useless in some situations.
Granted it doesn't happen all that often.

I'm really glad the time actually goes up on these things!

Saw it at Union Station today. The letters are bright enough to blind you without wearing sun glasses, and it's annoying how with each update, the arrival time can change by up to 6 minutes. It sounds from the article that the system will learn how to better predict arrival times with each passing day, which is pretty cool! My only comment is to turn down the brightness of the sign.

Agreed. From far away (i.e. halfway down the corridor leading up to the platform), the LEDs are so bright that it's difficult to make out the words because the aura from each diode bleeds into the adjacent one. Then again, maybe it's time to get my eye prescription rechecked.

LOL ... it's not that bad guys ... :)

I mean the typical complaint you expect with these things are that it's to dim! Not that it's too bright. Too funny.

Anyway, who cares about the screens - I want to see them installed at stops!

For whatever reason the time cannot go up - so many times I've been waiting with the arrival time stuck on 5min ... 2/3 min later it goes down to 4min. Makes the whole thing useless in some situations.

i've seen the time go up numerous times actually. i've always wondered though why the time doesn't change to "due" even though the bus is at the station, while other times it changes to due even though it's still about a minute away. the only guess i could come up with (i have no idea how the technology actually works) is that it has to do with the refresh rate at which the signal is being sent out.

Maybe you have ... but I've seen the time stuck on a certain time for way over a minute ......

Viva arrival times do go back up, but the way they are refreshed makes it more likely to remain at the current estimate because by the time the next refresh interval comes around (seems like its every 45 seconds or so) the time could have gone up from 4 minutes to 5 minutes and back down. But you'd never see that change.

I believe the computer is set up with a pre-determined route that the GPS system follows and uses to guess when the arrival time is, because for places like transit terminals they have to take into consideration that while the bus may be coming closer to the terminal very fast, once it gets there it has to make quite a few stops and turns around the terminal before it actually reaches the platform. What screws this whole thing up the most is traffic or bad road conditions, because the timings are based on normal road conditions with average traffic volume.

I don't believe for one second that the TTC system will be any better at determining the estimated arrival time than the Viva system. I'd actually be surprised if the technology was any different at all. Why reinvent the wheel? The system is already running in another region of the province just to the north. Save some money on R&D.

Oh I'm sure the implementation of the system at the physical layer i.e. the GPS it self is the same on both.
The way the signal is interpreted at the receiver will vary though depending on what algorithm used and how much adaptation is permitted.

My beef with the Viva system is a rarely see the number go up, more often then not I see it stuck on a particular number.

What I liked about the TTC system is from several observations (although yes it's to early to tell now) it does seem to go up and down. Which I personally prefer.
In the end it doesn't really mater, they both communicate the same message "We really only have a rough idea when it'll arrive" ;)

Today the brightness was lowered to a comfortable level, however the timing was completely useless. The next streetcar showed anything from 4-19 minutes away, when in reality a streetcar (509 or 510) did not show up for over 25 minutes.

Today the brightness was lowered to a comfortable level, however the timing was completely useless. The next streetcar showed anything from 4-19 minutes away, when in reality a streetcar (509 or 510) did not show up for over 25 minutes.

Told you. It's gonna take a while to calibrate the system properly, and even then it won't be perfect.

Back