News   Apr 23, 2024
 181     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 319     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 550     0 

The Star: Jarvis St. must change with evolving environs

Jarvis is loaded with gorgeous buildings from a huge variety of eras, it is a smorgasbord of architecture for anyone who cares to look.

I agree that there are plenty of very impressive buildings along Jarvis. In fact, I believe that the Jarvis courthouse and the Sears building are two of the most underappreciated buildings in the city! However, the smorgasbord makes for an unappetizing whole, especially when you consider the gas station at Jarvis and Wellesley, the Harvey's at Jarvis and Gerrard, the stripmall at Jarvis and Dundas and other disasters.

Adding some unifying elements to the existing sidewalk such as nicer street furniture and more plants will go a long way to improving the street. As someone who used to live just off Jarvis, I have to say that the traffic never bothered me, so eliminating the middle lane seems so unnecessary.

xstatik:

Don't give us an excuse to go commie on you. I've reviewed your previous postings on the forum - and I can say you are *this* close from it.

AoD

Wow, what kind of forum is there where MODERATORS go out and THREATEN users!

I guess there is no room here for real-world thinking!

Anyways, back to the original thread, I find it counterproductive to remove lanes from traffic for use for bicycles, which can only be practically used 6 months of the year. If anything, put a dedicated transit/LRT lane in there to move people, it would have a more use for more people.

Are there any statistics in regards to how many people actually bycycle as a form of communting in the GTA? I'd be surprised if it's over 2%.

Last edited:
Actually, shouldn't those lanes be there right from the beginning? The road is a public right of way that shouldn't have been exclusive in the first place. To argue that bicycles shouldn't be accomodated because they didn't pay for it is about as rational as arguing pedestrians shouldn't be accomodated because they aren't registered.

It isn't exclusive. Cyclists have always been able to use the roads.

Besides, what of public policy? It is in the interest of the public good to encourage and enable cycling - just as it is in the interest of public good to promote to use of transit and reduce the dependency on automobile.

I don't actually think of cycling as much of an answer to anything. It's not a reasonable method of commuting in our climate for most people. I'd rather see more effort (and money) put into public transit.

Last edited:
Ahab, I certainly agree Jarvis has its share of misses, as well. The gas station that clearly used to be the lawn of the big house next door is a huge one, and as you pointed out, there are others. But I live near Church and have lots of friends on the other side of Jarvis, and I find crossing the street to be very unpleasant, completely different from crossing Church or Yonge or Sherbourne or Parliament. It's much more akin to crossing Avenue Road. We'll just have to disagree on that, I guess.

xstatik - I guess there is no room here for real-world thinking! No, there's actually lots of room for real-world thinking, but commie baiting isn't really acceptable, and I support the moderator's intervention. I guess you are unfamiliar with what a moderator does, so welcome to real-world moderation!

I love the "Without cars, the city will be poor!" and "Tax bicycle riders!" arguments. They're so damn ballsy and irrational.

I imagine it's pretty hard to find stats on this, but I am thinking cars and drivers cost the city far more than they take in with driving-related tax revenues. When you consider the cost of road repair, new construction, and that the city's police officers spend a ton of their time dealing with traffic violations, plus pollution -- that all adds up fast.

Bike lanes have minimal impact and aren't really that costly, especially if they're built with the road or during other roadwork. And they're good for drivers, too, as it keeps vehicle types separate from one another. What's not to like?

Government's need consumption, since this is how they collect revenue. If I buy a big expensive SUV the government gets more money in sales taxes and extra fuel taxes, the city of Toronto will get taxes for registering the vehicle in Toronto, and fees whenever I park, fines if I park in the wrong place, the province will get taxes whenever I buy anything car related or not. It's all about consumption....If every cyclist commuter dropped their bike and bought a car, they'd be contributing far more finanicially to the city and province.

I better start taking up smoking (all those tobacco taxes!) and drink myself stupid every night (LCBO profits and alcohol taxes!) too then.

---

Seriously, I'm thinking about going this evening, in a semi-official capacity, though. I'm interested in what they've got planned.

Kudos to those who do it but cycling as one's main mode of transportation is simply not a practical alternative for much of the population, whether because of weather or physical inability or time factors involved etc., and so will only ever remain a fringe mode of transport. Not that cyclists shouldn't be accommodated! They should, but that doesn't mean they should be prioritized on main thoroughfares where you have cars and buses and streetcars etc. Maybe it would be better, not to mention safer and more pleasant too, to designate a bike route around the city that connects smaller side roads so that you can get to the same places but in a way that avoids larger vehicle arteries?

Maybe it would be better, not to mention safer and more pleasant too, to designate a bike route around the city that connects smaller side roads so that you can get to the same places but in a way that avoids larger vehicle arteries?
Now that I can agree with. The current situation seems to be that the cycle-lobby wants bike lanes on every main city street, as if it's some sort of vehicular affirmative action where we state that wherever a car can go, and bike had better go as well in its own lane! Bike lanes on the DVP will be next I suppose.

but commie baiting isn't really acceptable, !

I still stand behind my views on this cities government, and thus I see nothing wrong with refering to them as CENSORED (the constant lies, increasing of taxes (LTT) and the rush to ban everything from cars to plastic bags is quite CENSORED to me)

Last edited:
In an earlier post, I stated that Kyle Rae opposed bike lanes on Jarvis, based on an earlier discussions. At last night's meeting, I was pleasantly surprised that in fact he supports them now. Thanks Kyle! This will make the street much safer.

In an earlier post, I stated that Kyle Rae opposed bike lanes on Jarvis, based on an earlier discussions. At last night's meeting, I was pleasantly surprised that in fact he supports them now. Thanks Kyle! This will make the street much safer.

Can you tell us if anything else interesting happened at last night's meeting?

Good news! Now, about Bloor Street...

Specifically, he wants the reversible middle lane removed and space given to cyclists, pedestrians, trees and art.

ok, i have to draw a line (as if i could affect anything).
i live outside the city, take the train every day and use the subway whenever i can. i am a not a suburban suv dude.
however, due to a family member in hospital i had to drive in and out of the city a few times over the past two weeks.
and thank god for jarvis. it was the only street that wasn't clogged when i was trying to move my loved one home from toronto general.
this whole fantasy that the city can sacrifice its streets to bike lanes and art has gone just a tiny bit too far.
dundas has been strangled. wellesley has been eaten up. bay is diamond lanes etc.
traffic in downtown toronto is a serious issue. people do need to use their cars as i found out this week.
so many hospitals and other vital institutions are located in this city.
we can't just play with streets like we're redesigning our bathrooms.
if kyle rae wants to shut down another city street, he can pay for a nice affordable home for my family next to a safe, clean, fully functioning subway stop...or else leave the streets alone.

No offense, lawsond, but half a lane here and there wouldn't have prevented streets from clogging up - only a change in the usage patterns of cars will. Other cars - and the desire to use them at the same time - causes congestion, not bikes.

Besides, your loved one is not at risk - and ironically, if there is an emergency, it is other cars that will pose the greatest delay for emergency vehicles.

AoD

Back