News   Apr 26, 2024
 167     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 253     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 443     0 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

The small town I lived in had no bakery, no indie shop, nothing. The local Chinese restaurant wasn't open mornings. When Tim's came to the next town over, there was much rejoicing because finally we were "civilized" (ok, so we already had a McD's which means we were already partially civilized). That was years ago. Today, the McD's is still there and thriving, there are now two Tim's and still no indies although a couple of them tried and failed -- small town Northern Ontario won't pay those prices and they don't want "fancy".

North Bay has the Twigg's chain, and Sudbury's got a few fancy coffee places (I like Old Rock Coffee downtown), so Northern Ontario isn't entirely lost.

I had a really nice "fancy" coffee from an independent shop in Downtown Barry's Bay a few weeks ago (part of this bus trip). Barry's Bay is not large, nor is it especially touristy (though it is close to Algonquin Park), but it does okay, even with a Tim Horton's at the edge of town. That was a little surprising.

^hopefully won't make it to another 50.

I've been most of those places as well, but it had nothing to do with Timmy's.

Also that video was egregious amounts of single use take away cups.

Almost. I used to travel a lot both for work and with my kids to fun places like Hearst, Kapuskasing, Cochrane, Smooth Rock Falls, Sturgeon Falls, Elliott Lake and more. Tim’s, McD’s or gas station coffee was generally the choice.

Last edited:
Are there any good coffee shops in the Morningside/Rouge/Port Union area? Meeting a friend there today.

No rewards at the OnRoute locations either, and if you want to pay with a Tim Card they have to manually enter it in as they don’t have scanners.

My wife can't live without her iced capps. no matter what time of year it is. She will literally send me to get one in January.

Tim Horton's is garbage even compared to Country Style and Krispy Kreme, let alone any "fancy" place. I loved their doughnuts as a kid but now it's all pre-frozen and all of the icing melts after a few hours so I had to look elsewhere. Even as someone who only eats doughnuts like once or twice a year, I find the "Always Fresh" Tim Horton's stuff unacceptable.

Back