News   Jul 26, 2024
 865     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

The Retail Apocalypse

Digital cameras will likely be obsolete soon. With the quality and features of cameras on our cell phones having improved exponentially, and the ability to share photos on social media instantly, what is the incentive to invest in an expensive, bulky, separate piece of equipment that only produces marginally better photos, and only if the user knows what they are doing? Hand-held cameras will become the exclusive domain of a small handful of trained experts and hobbyists in photography.

The Henry's camera chain already had to go through store closures recently, and will need to look towards being more of an online format to survive. Hobbyists and professionals are mostly the ones who remain their market.

I remember back in 2007 after getting my first part-time job, one of my first major purchases after getting a pay cheque was a Canon digital camera. Along with an iPod but that's been rendered irrelevant too nowadays. I was a casual photo enthusiast and even took photography classes in high school.

However, the last one I bought must have been around 2013 or so. The standard consumer point and shoot camera started falling off the grid around that point too. When the built in smart phone camera started to become a more convenient equivalent.

The Henry's camera chain already had to go through store closures recently, and will need to look towards being more of an online format to survive. Hobbyists and professionals are mostly the ones who remain their market.

I remember back in 2007 after getting my first part-time job, one of my first major purchases after getting a pay cheque was a Canon digital camera. Along with an iPod but that's been rendered irrelevant too nowadays. I was a casual photo enthusiast and even took photography classes in high school.

However, the last one I bought must have been around 2013 or so. The standard consumer point and shoot camera started falling off the grid around that point too. When the built in smart phone camera started to become a more convenient equivalent.
Henry's would need to diversify its offering, just like its American counterparts Adorama and B&H.

Not just that, but the most popular camera based on Instagram posts is the iPhone.

Henry's would need to diversify its offering, just like its American counterparts Adorama and B&H.

Not just that, but the most popular camera based on Instagram posts is the iPhone.

The Instagram part isn't surprising, as social media content posting is pretty much almost entirely shared straight from a mobile device. Henry's should look into selling computer webcams as that is a product very in demand right now.

Pier 1 to permanently shut stores, wind down business

May 19, 2020

Dive Brief:

• Pier 1 on Tuesday said it is seeking court approval to wind down its retail operations "as soon as reasonably possible" once stores are able to reopen after being shuttered because of the pandemic.
  • In a court filing, the retailer said it plans to sell its inventory and remaining assets, which include its e-commerce business and intellectual property assets, through a court-supervised sale.
  • In an effort to maintain its staff during the wind-down process, Pier 1 is seeking court approval to give severance and bonuses to current employees, according to the filing.

NEW: Reitmans (Canada) Ltd. says it is seeking court protection from its creditors under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act to allow a restructuring of the retailer.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...utm_campaign=National&utm_content=rollingfile

One thing I wonder is how many outstanding gift card balances will be wiped out by the "creditor protection" events.
I wonder if people realise that even if these businesses continue in existence in some future form they may not honour, and may not be legally required to honour the old cards as they are just another "creditor" whose unsecured debt is wiped out.

The Instagram part isn't surprising, as social media content posting is pretty much almost entirely shared straight from a mobile device. Henry's should look into selling computer webcams as that is a product very in demand right now.
The vast majority of home computers available on the market already come with a webcam embedded on the monitor, all-in-one desktop, or atop the laptop screen. To be fair, most of the embedded webcams aren't as good as dedicated webcams.

Pier 1 to permanently shut stores, wind down business
I always hated their stores. I am a big minimalist and the memory of walking through their Queen St. East store in the 1990s fills me with dread. The row upon row of knickknacks. They had a store at Laird and Eglinton and I always wondered who shopped there.

Why are you closing all stores in Canada?
After a thorough review of the business and to align with the current operating environment, we determined that it is in the best interests of the Company to move forward in the U.S.

I always hated their stores. I am a big minimalist and the memory of walking through their Queen St. East store in the 1990s fills me with dread. The row upon row of knickknacks. They had a store at Laird and Eglinton and I always wondered who shopped there.

Why are you closing all stores in Canada?
After a thorough review of the business and to align with the current operating environment, we determined that it is in the best interests of the Company to move forward in the U.S.

Pier 1 peaked in the 90s when everyone wanted their living room to look like a seaside Cape Cod retreat. They never really changed.

Victoria's Secret to close about 250 stores in the U.S. and Canada,
I'm surprised that Victoria's Secret still exists. AIUI, women no longer GAF what men think of their looks, take it or leave it seems to be today's comfort-focused, sweat pants and pony tail mantra. It goes both ways of course, I see guys out on dates looking like slobs. We're all seeking affirmation and acceptance of our looks, even if we've screwed them up through sh#tty choices on diet, exercise, clothing or self neglect and abuse. I can't imagine trying to sell clothing based on sex appeal when you're no longer supposed to to define what that is.

Victoria’s Secret? In 2018, Fewer Women Want to Hear It
The lingerie company has clung to the idea that women should look sexy for men. And its stock is falling.

Last edited:
Not sure it was ever really about being sexy for men to begin with. Women are much more judgmental about each others looks/fashion choices then men ever are.

I'm surprised that Victoria's Secret still exists. AIUI, women no longer GAF what men think of their looks, take it or leave it seems to be today's comfort-focused, sweat pants and pony tail mantra. It goes both ways of course, I see guys out on dates looking like slobs. We're all seeking affirmation and acceptance of our looks, even if we've screwed them up through sh#tty choices on diet, exercise, clothing or self neglect and abuse. I can't imagine trying to sell clothing based on sex appeal when you're no longer supposed to to define what that is.

Victoria’s Secret? In 2018, Fewer Women Want to Hear It
The lingerie company has clung to the idea that women should look sexy for men. And its stock is falling.

Victoria's Secret may be struggling due to a variety of reasons such as increased competition along with the emergence of online shopping. However, I disagree with the notion that women (and men) no longer care about their physical appearances. Concepts such as fashion style, hair, makeup, and nail care remain important. The prevalence of the Instagram/social media influencer scene and the use of that as a contemporary marketing channel is a prime example of that.

Back