News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.2K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.8K     1 

The Renaissance of Downtown Kitchener

It is the parking lots that destroy cities. When they empty at the end of the day, they tend to stay empty. At least in Toronto, the parking is either hidden or most take public transit to get to the venue.

... but contrast that with only a decade ago or so when Toronto too was potmarked with parking lots, and a trip to the Ex or the O'keefe Centre or anywhere downtown was also likely done by car. As there was with Toronto there is lots of ongoing potential for places like Kitchener and Hamilton, relatively speaking. Too bad Brampton just didn't see this.

In the 200,000 - 500,000 category, KW probably isn't going to win the "best city" award, but it probably deserves to be shortlisted for "most improved".

... but contrast that with only a decade ago or so when Toronto too was potmarked with parking lots, and a trip to the Ex or the O'keefe Centre or anywhere downtown was also likely done by car. As there was with Toronto there is lots of ongoing potential for places like Kitchener and Hamilton, relatively speaking. Too bad Brampton just didn't see this.

What a silly, ignorant comment. Downtown Brampton isn't a parking lot prairie like Hamilton is right now. I suggest comparing apples to apples than comparing mid sized independent cities to suburbs.

I agree with Hipster Duck. Kitchener could win a "most improved" mid sized city award easy.

I grew up in Brampton. I know its ups and downs from horrific experience.

As for commuting - yes, my point is that these places will become commuting towns when the GO Train reaches them - in fact Ken Seiling, Waterloo Region Chair, worries that the GO Train will turn KW into a bedroom community. 10,000 people already make the commute in their cars - why wouldn't they do it in a GO Train? Especially when they can get cheap houses, lots of land and a charming downtown.

Commuting for long distances on trains is pretty standard in NYC and in Europe. I have a friend who lives in England and commutes every day from Brighton. Some people live in France and commute to London every day!

So yeah, if I was forced to live in either Brampton (or Miss or Markham or Pickering) or KW, I'd pick KW. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

I grew up in Brampton. I know its ups and downs from horrific experience.

As for commuting - yes, my point is that these places will become commuting towns when the GO Train reaches them - in fact Ken Seiling, Waterloo Region Chair, worries that the GO Train will turn KW into a bedroom community. 10,000 people already make the commute in their cars - why wouldn't they do it in a GO Train? Especially when they can get cheap houses, lots of land and a charming downtown.

Commuting for long distances on trains is pretty standard in NYC and in Europe. I have a friend who lives in England and commutes every day from Brighton. Some people live in France and commute to London every day!

So yeah, if I was forced to live in either Brampton (or Miss or Markham or Pickering) or KW, I'd pick KW. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

And work where! In Toronto? Have fun on your 2+ hour trip ... Maybe in western Mississauga. Waterloo or Kitchen will never be a bedroom community for Toronto ... just like Barrie will never be, and it has a GO train ...

Negative, Eaton Lofts......the upper 2 floors work.........the ground floor looks wrong.

The upper floors don't look too good on the inside. Construction was substandard, with exposed wiring and other problems. I think the developer is facing a few legal issues--as soon as they can find him...

Odd, whats with VIA have a 2-car consist?

Could have been a weekend train from a few years ago--they tend to be shorter. It's rare to see even the weekend trains with less than three coaches nowadays, and the weekday trains are usually 4-5.

The area is coming along nicely, though. And it's good to see that there is still some manufacturing downtown; a diverse workforce cannot consist of accountants and hairdressers alone.

Keep in mind that the 10,000 people you're citing is to the Greater Toronto Area, not to downtown Toronto (the only place the GO train serves effectively as a destination) or even the City of Toronto for that matter. The overwhelming majority of GTA bound commuters from Waterloo Region and Guelph are commuting to the western suburbs of Toronto, to employment districts such as Milton, Meadowvale, and the Airport area. This is where you're seeing the increase, as this is where the employment growth is happening. It is only a 20 minute drive between Cambridge and Milton on the 401 at about 120km/h.

Conversely, Waterloo Region and Guelph are also becoming greater employment destinations in and of themselves, attracting commuters from as far as Woodstock, Elora-Fergus, Brantford, and yes, even the GTA.

Theoretically, it could become a bedroom community for downtown Toronto. But you'd need a high-speed rail connection. Currently, the GO-train as it is proposed would not be a viable option for the sane residents of Waterloo Region, or even Guelph. It is not a question of distance, as it is a question of time and cost. That is also why you can find such crazy distance commutes taking place out in Europe.

In the 200,000 - 500,000 category, KW probably isn't going to win the "best city" award, but it probably deserves to be shortlisted for "most improved".

Agreed.

And it baffles me why some people would still feel the need to sling insults when a city isn't where it should be for its size and is playing 'catch-up' in regards to urban living. I thought people here at UT supported increasing densities, improved transit modal shares, and the adaptive reuse of derelict buildings.

It is only a 20 minute drive between Cambridge and Milton on the 401 at about 120km/h.

Before I moved to Port Credit I drove to Milton every day to get the GO train. Half an hour minimum--worse if the traffic began before James Snow Parkway (though it was quite amusing to speed by the gridlock on the off-ramp to James Snow!)

Theoretically, it could become a bedroom community for downtown Toronto. But you'd need a high-speed rail connection. Currently, the GO-train as it is proposed would not be a viable option for the sane residents of Waterloo Region, or even Guelph. It is not a question of distance, as it is a question of time and cost. That is also why you can find such crazy distance commutes taking place out in Europe.

To an extent the area is (well, Cambridge at least) but KW, Cambridge, Guelph, and the townships in between are already bedroom communities to each other so there's a bit of insulation. We have enough local employment to keep each other happy--but not enough to convince everybody in the area that light rail is worth the expense.

And it baffles me why some people would still feel the need to sling insults when a city isn't where it should be for its size and is playing 'catch-up' in regards to urban living. I thought people here at UT supported increasing densities, improved transit modal shares, and the adaptive reuse of derelict buildings.

Only if it happens within the boundaries of the old City of Toronto. Don't worry; the vitriol directed between, Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge (and within Cambridge) is just as colourful as it is here.

Back