News   Apr 25, 2024
 353     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

The province of Toronto?

Maybe the said Conservative MPP should find out how many constitutents he represents, and compare that figure with urban MPPs and find out exactly whose voice isn't behind heard?

AoD

Pam Fletcher: Minister of Health
Howard Moscoe : Minister of Education

etc.

Scary!

Besides, if Toronto was a Province, who would it blame for it's being 'shortchanged'?

Although the idea is compelling, there too many hurdlers in the way to make the dream a reality, as the star pointed out:

Political observers say the change is unlikely to happen, given it would require the approval of Parliament and seven of the provinces, with at least 50 per cent of the population.

I can understand the approval of Parliament, but needing seven provinces with 50% of the population to form a new province seems overkill than what would be required.

Pam Fletcher: Minister of Health
Howard Moscoe : Minister of Education

etc.

Scary!

That doesn't make sense; those are municipal councillors (and that's Paula, not Pam), whereas I'd presume that Toronto-the-province would have the existing MPPs grandfathered in. So, maybe you'd run the risk of a Premier Laurel Broten, or something...

CodeMonkey:

It is overkill - but to change that means changing the Constitution - which is even less likely than having Toronto as a separate province.

AoD

So, what about my arrogance then ? I don't live in Toronto, but I sense the city, along with other big centres such as Montreal and Vancouver, require special federal/provincial strategies that deal with transportation and socio-economic issues. Our present federal government simply pretends or assumes the large urban centres can get by . Arrogance is a word that has more than one application . Negligence also comes to mind.

Funny though, since I always associate her with the "hicks" she condemns.
I thought the term was being used in jest. Apparently I'm the only one who thought that.

I find his use of the term "Toronto mentality" to be offensive. He's really talking about the obvious urban-rural divide which, correct me if I'm wrong, exists EVERYWHERE. If he wants to live somewhere with no large city and where rural issues are the only issues, he needs to move to Nunavut.

duper:

If he does, he would find a way to complain about how Iqaluit dominates the policy agenda, etc. Hans Island might be a better choice.

AoD

Toronto the City State

province_of_toronto_logo.gif
here we go

Attachments

• province_of_toronto_logo.jpg
    province_of_toronto_logo.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 325

Back