News   Oct 02, 2024
 394     1 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 377     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 443     0 

The Mayor Miller appreciation thread

He didn't show concern for getting put into a pot as food when the PanAm evaluators were here.

He has made transit a priority.

He has addressed the disparity in business property taxes that exists when comparing Toronto with other parts of the GTA.

He is a nemesis to Ford and Stintz and hopefully any replacement to Miller is as well.

I also don't mind the new multi-cultural food carts that have been complimenting the staple street meat: the venerable Toronto street dog.

There are a few main areas where Miller has stood out for me:

*Waterfront. A lot of work on Harbourfront. Construction underway on the West Don Lands and plans in place for the East Bay Front and Portlands.
*Transportation. A real focus on reducing our dependence on the car. Improved transit, cycling, and pedestrian facilities
*Integrity. Not even a whiff of corruption about the administration, was pro-development but not controlled by the development industry like many past mayors
*Poverty. Improved homelessness situation, redeveloped Regent Park, redirected services to the new poverty concentrations in the suburbs
*Advocacy. He has been the most prominent mayor in the country advocating for a better deal for cities from the federal and provincial governments.
*Environment. Tower renewal, rejected incinerators, focus on transit.

I like that he's been socially progressive but still promoted development in the core. For a long time, the left was wedded to anti-development and anti-growth policies.

There are definitely other people out there who are better politicians and tougher, but Toronto has done a lot worse than Miller in the past.

He really understands how cities work, which is suprisingly lacking for municipal politicians. He is also pro-development and pro-transit. Also passionate about the city and hard working.

There are a few main areas where Miller has stood out for me:

*Waterfront. A lot of work on Harbourfront. Construction underway on the West Don Lands and plans in place for the East Bay Front and Portlands.
*Transportation. A real focus on reducing our dependence on the car. Improved transit, cycling, and pedestrian facilities
*Integrity. Not even a whiff of corruption about the administration, was pro-development but not controlled by the development industry like many past mayors
*Poverty. Improved homelessness situation, redeveloped Regent Park, redirected services to the new poverty concentrations in the suburbs
*Advocacy. He has been the most prominent mayor in the country advocating for a better deal for cities from the federal and provincial governments.
*Environment. Tower renewal, rejected incinerators, focus on transit.

Well put.

I'm a Bay Street guy, and I think Miller's alright. Not every lefty politician does that for me.

Miller just announced he will not be running for re-election in 2010.

I hope he is remembered for his great achievements. His legacy will be remembered as sending Toronto into a positive direction.

I dont live in the city and so am not affected in my everday life by any of his policies or achievements. But just as a general observation I am always in favour of having a well educated, socially progressive personage in political office, rather than someone who is cynical and panders to the lowest common denominator. Miller vs Lastman = Obama vs Bush

I personally like Miller - he's a great (intelligent and enthusiastic) representative for the city whenever big ticket events and festivals are on in the city. And at times he can be a tough politician. I just find him to be very well rounded as a person. If the talk of him not running again are true I will be disappointed.

^^ Agreed. I don't agree with a lot of Miller's policies, but I do think that he's passionate about this town and has worked hard to push forward his vision. And for that I fully respect him. He'll be remembered well.

Essentially, let’s not forget that lots of people voted for Miller because he was ready to fight in order to right a couple of wrongs. No one here need remind me of how the voting patterns went, basically southern seats to Miller, outlying suburban seats to the losing candidate …

First, Miller has had the nerve to stand against the expansion of the Island airport. Some stupid mayor back in the 1930's forked over the land near Hanlans for that damned facility. Now, at its best it's a tacky convenience to those who want to leave this town but quick. At its worst it's a tremendous eyesore and a misuse of the lands -- a full-on Stanley Park-like use would be a better thing for all (with the residents kicked off). But the shortsighted among us have prevailed, and they settled for third prize in the Lotario of life - voila, there’s this tacky visage, for all to see. And we’re propping it up with taxpayer dollars.

Second, Miller’s desire to remove all or part of the Gardiner, well, I can only laud that. But it is a daunting task. Political alliances are needed for this effort, and that is where Miller messed up.

Don't forget the wonderful waterfront initiatives that are becoming reality ... they will be Miller's lasting legacy. In fact, here's hoping that he will stay on in some way, in the effort to repossess what we can of our misused waterfront.

I don't like Miller's transit strategy, it's not high capacity enough, but criticisms are meant for another section, this is the appreciation slot. Sorry. But this is my time to laud the intent -- to give us an alternative to excessive use of the auto.

Last edited:
Because he won, John Tory lost and then went into provincial politics, guaranteeing that the Tories won't win in Ontario for another 10 years. Good stuff!

Oh that and Transit City and waterfront improvements.

I'm surprised so many people have been saying that Miller used the excuse of spending more time with his family, with the real reason being dwindling poll numbers. Miller was a brilliant campaigner and even Tory admitted that he is not the kind of guy to back down from a political fight. This was an issue of putting family first, and the images of his son choking back tears seem to affirm this.

I agree with one of the comments above, Miller really did understand the city. Sure not everything was perfect, he's only human. I know I'll like him better than the next guy in the pipe.

Too bad he never got more done with bike lanes, but what he got accomplished with the city and the environment will be remembered for generations.

Back