News   Oct 02, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 453     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 477     0 

The Mayor Miller appreciation thread

Why is it that here in Toronto, the word "park" is so often coupled with the world "sterile". Having just taken a walk through fantastic Central Park in Manhattan two weekends ago, I believe that is the urban park to lift, not Stanley. There are delights galore in Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum is part of it. (Oh, and adma, the veg there is so much like ours).

Since you're referring to Central Park, let me clarify that my ref to "50s/60s park-planning sterility" re Toronto Island meant 1950s/60s, not 1850s/60s...

The shepperd LRT....

When it's done, I only have to spend 18 minutes instead of 24 minutes during rush hour... a few billion dollars for 7 minutes... amazing!

Hume makes good points here, in today's Star. It is true that Miller lost my support, for two reasons:

- basically because he didn't communicate often enough to his city
- I didn't care for the "inner circle" that he chose

.. still, he may be the best mayor we've had in a very very very long time.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/704247

Last edited:
Nuit Blanche. I hope Miller leaving doesn't mean it's over. It should be a permanent fixture on the city's event circut.

When it's done, I only have to spend 18 minutes instead of 24 minutes during rush hour... a few billion dollars for 7 minutes... amazing!
Though part of the point is reliability. On a bad day it would be (say) 20 minutes instead of 35 minutes. And the times will only get worse; a whole lot of this started when they published the predicted congestion information for the future, which shows roads getting a lot worse in the next couple of decades.

Not to mention that you will be much more likely to find a seat, and you won;t be squished sardine-style in the bus.

But I guess some people prefer trying to keep balance while smelling six armpits rather than having a seat and getting there faster.

Back