News   May 03, 2024
 617     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 397     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 215     0 

The Junction

11 January 2010 photo update:

Another probable future failed Junction business (just opened) near Pascal's Bagels:

dsc02375ol.jpg

West of Crema, this place has been open a few months, and looks more promising:

dsc02448x.jpg

Update on Little Fish's "Mexican hot chocolate:" It sucks. I watched them make it this time and they cheated, using chocolate milk, steamed foamed milk and a dash of cayenne pepper. Sorry Little Fish people, but I know how to make the real deal! Staying with their good coffee from now on--they poached Crema's prize-winning barista to show them how to make good espresso.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

Junction-based published author Shaista Justin and myself (not a writer, just love reading and Junction :), are currently planning "Junction Lit", a Junction Book Fair for June 2010, looking for volunteers, published authors and musical talent.
This 2-day, 1st annual event will be huge, designed to promote the Junction neighbourhood and local authors! There will be readings & book signings by published authors of many genres (children's too), great book sales, local food/coffee vendors and music!

Join our facebook group: Junction Lit

Last edited:
I found this story through the Liberty Village thread. The Canada Bread bakery on Cawthra Avenue will be shut down. I wonder what will replace it. The city's taxes aren't favourable to industrial development, and the OMB struck down the condo plan on nearby Lloyd Avenue because these are employment lands.

I'm also going to miss the smell of freshly baked bread in the area.

Noticed today that the candy store located at Pacific and Dundas is emptying out/for rent. Looks like the owners sold Bronto Burger and got out of the candy business--couldn't make any money perhaps? Location would fit Tim Horton's or Sbux I think.... although a French cafe would be ideal.

dsc00178.jpg

Junction BIA

Apparently the Junction BIA have fired their one and only office staff member so their office has been closed since early January. A number of her local business owners and community residents protested outside the office a few weeks ago in support of her. Anybody know anything about this?

Drove by today. Looks like the old building is coming down. Alas, I liked it. Another "Lost Toronto"

It's all gone now and the site is being cleaned up. The local historical society supposedly said it wasn't of any significant architectural importance and were not bothered by the demolition. I was surprised to hear that.

Last edited:
So apparently the new condos coming up, by Options For Homes, is nameless. Options is deciding on a new name for the project. They've let the purchasers know that they are open to suggestions. "Village By High Park" was just a marketing name.

re: Junction BIA

Doesn't surprise me - I've heard the BIA Board is drama central - screaming matches between local business owners and board members.

244 High Park Avenue - Committee of Adjustment Hearing

JRA - 244 High Park Ave 006.jpg

The stately home located at 244 High Park Avenue was built in 1910. It has large principal rooms, and retains many of its original interior features, as well as sunny bay windows, solid bricks, and even a slate roof.

Recently this home was purchased by a developer, and last November they asked the city for permission to demolish it, divide the lot and squeeze in two, three-story houses, each with a garage next to the front door.

Depending on your point of view, this development could be an opportunity to rejuvenate the neighbourhood or represent potential loss of our heritage.

The loss of one house is not going to change Junction life any more than new condos or railways will, but I view this project not as one step but possibly the first of many such steps.

The large lots of the Junction are ideal for this type of intensification. As the Junction gentrifies, prices will rise and the equation for profitable intensification will draw many more developers, with bulldozers not far behind.

The Etobicoke York Committee of Adjustment will review this proposal on Thursday, February 18th.

I plan to attend the hearing to make my case to reinforce the existing physical character of the Junction and ask the Committee to reject this proposal.

If you want to say Yes to Junction History and No to McMansion, please follow the directions below and write to the Committee of Adjustment today.

The Committee equates silence with acceptance, so every email counts.

Please email or fax Barbara Bartosik at the Committee of Adjustment and Ward 13 Councillor Bill Saundercook: bbartos@toronto.ca & councillor_saundercook@toronto.ca, fax 416-394-6042.

All comments must be received by Wednesday February 17th at 5pm.

The developer's plan can be viewed at the Etobicoke Civic Centre.

Please feel free to use the letter below or add your own comments.

Subject line: 244 High Park Avenue - Committee of Adjustment Hearing

To Whom It May Concern:

I respectfully request that the Committee of Adjustment does not consent to sever 244 High Park Ave.

The proposed development does not comply with the City of Toronto Official Plan for established neighbourhoods in that it does not respect the existing physical character of the Junction neighbourhood.

The proposed design does not match the prevailing building type, or the size and configuration of existing lots. The prevailing rear and side yard setback patterns are also not respected.

In particular, the proposed architectural design (including the addition of a front-yard garage) does not complement the built form features that contribute to the unique physical character of the Junction and the many heritage listed buildings in the area.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

[Your Name Here]

[Your Address Here]

Attachments

• JRA - 244 High Park Ave 006.jpg
    JRA - 244 High Park Ave 006.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
I know someone who used to work there. She said their main business was importing cocaine and hookers...

Back