Toronto The Hive: Lofts on The Queensway | 21.03m | 6s | Symmetry | Teeple Architects

There was a similar reaction to the metal siding on the new George Brown waterfront campus. I guess some people associate it with train cars or other industrial applications. I think it's cool as hell, especially in a Toronto context, and hope to see more of it.

Symmetry is absolutely killing it. Great work!

I see this project on a regular basis, and it does look terrific... however, in terms of context on the Queensway, Hive looks like a spaceship has landed...there is no connection whatsoever between it and the surrounding 2 storey commercial buildings...

Raises interesting questions whether or not the Avenues initiative by the city will eventually blow away the old familiar context of two storey commercial buildings lining our main streets - such a fundamental part of TO as we know it.

/just my random impression

…a fundamentally ugly part. That's why I'm excited about this building, it foreshadows the end of the ugly and mostly shabby two-storey buildings along this stretch. Some other shopping streets have far nicer two-storey buildings, so I wouldn't want to see this happen in ever Avenue, but here, bring it on!

Totally agree with you, it's a beautiful building on a nasty stretch of the Queensway, just sayin' there are implications within the Avenues policy that may have a bigger effect than we think...

I really love what this building does for the Queensway. The Zinc metal siding looks amazing. The only part I dont really like is the blank unfinished concrete wall on bottom side of the building. I hope it doesnt stay that way. Perhaps some sort of finish will help tie everything in!

No matter the material, blank walls are not a good thing facing public spaces like streets.

A poured concrete wall in an architectural finish isn't a blank wall, even if it's bare. About 40% of the west wall on the ground floor is curtain wall, so it's not like there's a concrete bunker at grade.
The weight, texture, thickness and tone of the concrete is an entirely appropriate contrast to the metal cladding - the building wouldn't be the same without it. "
But I do appreciate that it's not for everyone.

The building's relationship with the street is good. The tall storefronts are superb. But that is a blank wall along the side street. A blank wall is any featureless empty space, no matter what cladding is used. It would be better to have another storefront, public art, a small garden or a glazed amenity space for the building.

All great points. However, behind the "blank" concrete wall is the stacker garage and storage. No space for a storefront, small garden or glazed amenity space - it is 50' x 105' lot and every square inch has been called into service for the base building requirements. Very little room for street furniture or public art installation on the sidewalk in front of the concrete wall.
Possible for the wall to have some sort of mural or wall treatment but that would distract rather than engage. On a larger lot, I'd concur.

How it looked on Saturday:

IMG_0145.jpg

It faces the street at multiple angles:
IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg