News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 735     0 

The Great PC/Mac Debate (Embarrassing Revelations for Windows Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except my wireless Apple mouse that I got with MacPro has 5 buttons. Currently use 3 of them. Haven't yet got to use to side buttons.

Still use my keyboard shortcuts more than the mouse anyways.

(I use the Windows side of my MacPro for some PC games. Otherwise, it stays on the Mac side with the word processor, graphics, accounting programs, internet browser, etc.)

I'm not sure what this has to do with the functionality issue.

Mouses (not sure if it would be mice in this case) with 5 buttons (or more) have been available on PCs for ages.

Hey angry mac guy, why don't you take your own advice:

Hey, out-of-context-guy, why don't you read the entire post?:

one of the clear and unarguable advantages of a PC over a Mac is that you can use shortcut keys in Excel and Word.

Hipster Duck unequivocally declares that a Mac can not use shortcut keys. He even goes on to say that his statement is "unarguable". That demonstrates ignorance of the issue he's trying to debate.

Calling somebody out on their ignorance is not an insult. It simply demonstrates that they don't know what they're talking about.

Hey, out-of-context-guy, why don't you read the entire post?:

Hipster Duck unequivocally declares that a Mac can not use shortcut keys. He even goes on to say that his statement is "unarguable". That demonstrates ignorance of the issue he's trying to debate.

Calling somebody out on their ignorance is not an insult. It simply demonstrates that they don't know what they're talking about.

In fairness to HD, who has shown himself to be a very intelligent poster, I would say "absolute ignorance to anything outside the Windows world" is at least a bit overdramatic.

I don't question Hipster Duck's intelligence. He has indeed contributed in other areas of this forum.

It is his firm statement on a Mac's alleged inability to perform keyboard shortcuts that I'm calling him out on. It uncovers the all too common anti-Mac Windows aficionado who claims they've "tried a Mac and it sucks", all the while discovering that they probably spent a dozen minutes at the Apple store or their College lab. Or worse: they read or heard another person's opinion and adopted it without even using a Mac.

Anybody who's used a Mac for more than a day will have figured out that shortcuts can be performed. They just use a different modifier key.

I don't question Hipster Duck's intelligence. He has indeed contributed in other areas of this forum.

It is his firm statement on a Mac's alleged inability to perform keyboard shortcuts that I'm calling him out on. It uncovers the all too common anti-Mac Windows aficionado who claims they've "tried a Mac and it sucks", all the while discovering that they probably spent a dozen minutes at the Apple store or their College lab. Or worse: they read or heard another person's opinion and adopted it without even using a Mac.

Anybody who's used a Mac for more than a day will have figured out that shortcuts can be performed. They just use a different modifier key.

Or maybe he just used the wrong ones since the Mac Office has different shortcuts than the PC version. That could be all there is to it.

When you say someone has "absolute ignorance" you're implying they know nothing at all about the Mac, when that may not be the case at all. You're taking one little instance and using that to brand him "Anti-Mac", a "Windows Aficionado"...it's all really over the top.

His quote clearly indicates that the PC Excel and Word (not Open Office) have an "unarguable" advantage over the Mac version because the PC version can use shortcut keys while the Mac cannot:

This is funny because one of the clear and unarguable advantages of a PC over a Mac is that you can use shortcut keys in Excel and Word.

Again, this clearly demonstrates that Hipster Duck hasn't used a Mac enough to figure out that it indeed uses shortcuts. His is an absurd statement, considering that Mac invented the C, X, V shortcuts to begin with.

I'm inclined to believe that he's simply uneducated about the Mac, rather than to think that he's not intelligent enough to figure out the shortcuts.

His statement is indicative of the unfortunate and all too common Windows user who makes assumptions about Mac without actually using one.

Nonetheless, I'd like to hear his take on his statement and the extent of his knowledge of the Mac.

Hipster, please join the discussion. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

His quote clearly indicates that the PC Excel and Word (not Open Office) have an "unarguable" advantage over the Mac version because the PC version can use shortcut keys while the Mac cannot:

They key words being "in Excel and Word". He didn't say you can't use shortcut keys on a Mac. You may not realize this but the shortcut keys for Office on the Mac aren't the same as they are on the PC (at least for Excel they're not). That could be where the confusion comes from.

Again, this clearly demonstrates that Hipster Duck hasn't used a Mac enough to figure out that it indeed uses shortcuts. His is an absurd statement, considering that Mac invented the C, X, V shortcuts to begin with. I'm inclined to believe that he's simply uneducated about the Mac, rather than to think that he's not intelligent enough to figure out the shortcuts.

His statement is indicative of the unfortunate and all too common Windows user who makes assumptions about Mac without actually using one.

No, it indicates he hasn't use MS Office on the Mac enough to figure out the different shortcuts. There's a big difference between that and 'having complete ignorance to anything outside the Windows environment'. You're getting pretty carried away over something that could be nothing more than a simple misunderstanding.

It would be like me declaring you Anti-Windows and ignorant to anything outside the Mac world for trying to pass an IPhone off as an entry level computer or going on about Apple's multi-touch offerings and ignoring everything else.

(...) it indicates he hasn't use MS Office on the Mac enough to figure out the different shortcuts. There's a big difference between that and 'having complete ignorance to anything outside the Windows environment'. You're getting pretty carried away over something that could be nothing more than a simple misunderstanding.

Syn, use some logic here...

The MS Office shortcuts are the same as the system wide OSX shortcuts. If a person has used a Mac enough to know the system wide ⌘C ⌘X ⌘V and ⌘Z, then they'll know to apply the same shortcuts to other applications such as MS Word and Excel.

One can't claim to know the system wide shortcuts, make the statement that shortcuts aren't possible and then claim that they assumed that because they don't have enough experience in an app that uses the same shortcuts. Syn, your argument is refuted.

Hipster Duck was caught making a silly statement that demonstrated the common misconceptions about Mac.

There's nothing wrong with knowing little or nothing about Mac. Attacking it with misconceptions at the base of your argument is what is wrong.

Syn, use some logic here...

The MS Office shortcuts are the same as the system wide OSX shortcuts. If a person has used a Mac enough to know the system wide ⌘C ⌘X ⌘V and ⌘Z, then they'll know to apply the same shortcuts to other applications such as MS Word and Excel.

He didn't say he didn't know the system wide shortcuts. He said that shortcuts didn't work in Excel and Word. Believe it or not, not all Windows and Mac shortcuts are the same in all programs.

There's also more to shortcuts than cutting, copying and pasting.

One can't claim to know the system wide shortcuts, make the statement that shortcuts aren't possible and then claim that they assumed that because they don't have enough experience in an app that uses the same shortcuts. Syn, your argument is refuted.

Hipster Duck was caught making a silly statement that demonstrated the common misconceptions about Mac.

There's nothing wrong with knowing little or nothing about Mac. Attacking it with misconceptions at the base of your argument is what is wrong.

That isn't what he claimed.

I think you need to read his post more carefully:

"This is funny because one of the clear and unarguable advantages of a PC over a Mac is that you can use shortcut keys in Excel and Word."

He is wrong about that, but I can see how he missed it since they use different shortcuts than the PC version (at least Excel does anyways). It doesn't necessarily mean he's ignorant about all things Mac.

He didn't say he didn't know the system wide shortcuts. He said that shortcuts didn't work in Excel and Word.

They're the same shortcuts. If he doesn't know the Excel and Word shortcuts, he doesn't know the system wide ones either because they're the same ones. If he doesn't know basic shortcuts, he knows little about the OS. It's basic logic. Further, the shortcuts themselves are all over the menus in every app and in the OS itself.

Syn, you're grasping for straws on this argument. The guy obviously made an incorrect statement and I called him out on it to demonstrate an example of how people think they know about Mac, shoot it down and end up not knowing much at all.

Hipster Duck unequivocally affirms that you can't use shortcuts in Excel and Word. These apps use the same system wide Mac shortcuts. If he'd had any experience with Mac, he'd know those shortcuts and would apply them to the MS programs.

P for Print, N for New document, O for Open, S for Save, F for Find, A for Select All... and on and on. They're the same in the Mac and Windows versions of Word and Excel. If one doesn't know that, they haven't used a Mac enough to figure out that very basic function of the ⌘ key and they certainly haven't earned the right to criticize something they know so little about.

They're the same shortcuts. If he doesn't know the Excel and Word shortcuts, he doesn't know the system wide ones either because they're the same ones. If he doesn't know basic shortcuts, he knows little about the OS. It's basic logic. Further, the shortcuts themselves are all over the menus in every app and in the OS itself.

Syn, you're grasping for straws on this argument. The guy obviously made an incorrect statement and I called him out on it to demonstrate an example of how people think they know about Mac, shoot it down and end up not knowing much at all.

Hipster Duck unequivocally affirms that you can't use shortcuts in Excel and Word. These apps use the same system wide Mac shortcuts. If he'd had any experience with Mac, he'd know those shortcuts and would apply them to the MS programs.

P for Print, N for New document, O for Open, S for Save, F for Find, A for Select All... and on and on. They're the same in the Mac and Windows versions of Word and Excel. If one doesn't know that, they haven't used a Mac enough to figure out that very basic function of the ⌘ key and they certainly haven't earned the right to criticize something they know so little about.

Those are the most basic system shortcuts. That's not what I'm referring to. There are many other things you can do in Excel that are program specific, but it's pretty obvious you've never used it before. There are quite a few differences in the shortcuts between the PC and Mac versions of the programs.

You're avoiding the fact here: the case in point is that Hipster Duck did not know even the most basic shortcuts. If he knew, he would have applied them to Office and wouldn't think that Mac doesn't use shortcuts.

I'm aware of all the shortcuts available in Excel and Word. I learned to use them first on a PC. It's "obvious" to you that I've never used them before.... why? Because I'm focusing on the basic shortcuts that anybody who's used an OS will know? I'm sticking to the point. You're running around trying to find a reason to prove me wrong, despite all the logic pointing to the contrary.

This is turning into a game of logic. I didn't think you'd take this long to put logical elements together:

1- Shortcuts in OSX use ⌘
2- Even the most basic shortcuts in OSX are identical to their Windows counterparts
3- A person using OSX for more than a few hours will discover that ⌘ replaces CTRL as a modifier key. They're all over the menus.
4- Using Word or Excel for Mac and claiming that it doesn't use shortcuts means that you don't know the most basic system shortcuts
5- Not knowing ⌘P, ⌘C or ⌘N for example – some of most basic shortcuts – means you haven't used a Mac for any length of time.

Now Syn, you're quite stubborn and proud. I don't see you admitting it, but if I wrote a logical explanation of how the sky is blue, I wouldn't see you admitting it either.

With my name flying around, I feel I need to interject. I know the basic shortcut keys for Macs, but I have more trouble with things such as transposing, or pasting in a special format. Regardless of whether there are shortcuts or not, I bought a PC because I couldn't reconcile spending an extra $900 for a MacBook Pro that has the same specs as my ASUS.

No, it indicates he hasn't use MS Office on the Mac enough to figure out the different shortcuts.

This is pathetic, 22 pages and all you can do is jump on someone because the mac uses different shortcut keys.
I asked you many questions back in the beginning...you, of course, couldn't or wouldn't answer them.
You're the only one in this thread to make personal attacks, which truely reveals your personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back