News   May 08, 2024
 235     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 629     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 528     1 

The Great PC/Mac Debate (Embarrassing Revelations for Windows Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a desktop in Mac of course, but for some reason they have it defaulted on that stupid menu bar...

I personally love the Dock. Some people like the Start menu and the taskbar...

I prefer the straightforwardness of the Dock. Everything's on display. You have a collection of your favorite apps right there on display.

I love Leopard's addition of Stacks. The Downloads Stack keeps my desktop clean. Love it!

Here's my Dock:

Apple Macs run Windows Vista less awfully than PCs
Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 09:15 AM EDT

"Popular Mechanics has published a shootout between similarly-specced Macs and PCs using popular benchmarking tools and user feedback and has come to a (not very) surprising conclusion [the Macs won both the desktop and notebook shootouts]," Stewart Meagher reports for The Inquirer.

"Glen Derene from Popular Mechanics also used a number of 'real world' tests to find out how the machines," Meagher reports.

Derene reported:
In our speed trials, however, Leopard OS trounced Vista in all-important tasks such as boot-up, shutdown and program-launch times. We even tested Vista on the Macs using Apple’s platform-switching Boot Camp software... and found that both Apple computers ran Vista faster than our PCs did.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/reviews/4258725.html

... and in other news, Microsoft is losing its grip on the corporate world too.

IBM is investigating the feasibility of migrating to Mac. IBM! They swapped a group of their employees from ThinkPads to MacBook Pro's and here are the results:

Of the 22 of 24 who responded, 18 said that the Mac offered a “better or best experience” compared to their existing computer, one rated it “equal or good,” and three said the Mac offered a “worse experience.” Seven reported having no or marginal prior knowledge of using Macs, while 15 reported having moderate or expert knowledge of the platform.

Other highlights:
- 86% of pilot users requested to keep the Mac
- More new hires are requesting Macs
- Research and Academic clients have a growing Mac community
- IBM internal software made for Mac was easy to install

Some comments:
- "When presenting at customer or external meetings, I have been greeted with the 'wow factor.' 'Where's the ThinkPad, IBM uses Apples now?'"
- "This can free us from the Windows stranglehold."
- "It has been easier learning the Mac than learning Vista."
- "The ability to run Windows XP in a VM under Parallels is a great feature."

Article Link.

I'm now seriously considering a Mac for my next computer. I read that one of the top new internet companies advertises for prospective employees that you will work on a Mac, and now IBM is switching. I think Vista has been a real catastrophe for Microsoft, because a lot of people used to XP who wouldn't want to switch to a new interface won't have a choice, even if they keep their PCs. There are some issues I'm still concerned about. Foremost is cost, of course, because you pay a lot more for comparable specs. Other issues are compatibility with certain websites and software, and getting used to the general feel.

I'm amazed that I'm saying this, because I've been using DOS/Windows since I was two years old, and I never would have imagined switching.

I'm now seriously considering a Mac for my next computer. I read that one of the top new internet companies advertises for prospective employees that you will work on a Mac, and now IBM is switching. I think Vista has been a real catastrophe for Microsoft, because a lot of people used to XP who wouldn't want to switch to a new interface won't have a choice, even if they keep their PCs. There are some issues I'm still concerned about. Foremost is cost, of course, because you pay a lot more for comparable specs. Other issues are compatibility with certain websites and software, and getting used to the general feel.

I'm amazed that I'm saying this, because I've been using DOS/Windows since I was two years old, and I never would have imagined switching.

Don't worry unimaginative. I was shocked that I was thinking that back when I switched coming from a Windows developer background. It was a bit of a shot in the dark back then because at the time Intel chips weren't a reality in the Mac yet (now has the ability to run Windows in case you get cold feet) and Apple wasn't getting all this good press.
I knew I made the right decision the second I opened the box. I spent the next couple of hours looking for replacements for all my Windows apps and more often than not, found ones that I liked better.

As for price, there's a very good argument that for the price you're getting more than just comparable specs if you count the included software and added productivity.
The inclusion of iLife and the real world unnecessiary purchase of anti-virus/spyware software more than makes up for the price difference.

Nonetheless, if you make the swap, count yourself amongst one of the many hoardes of people who will be doing just that in the coming couple of years. Companies and individuals are asking themselves: Why switch to Vista, a new OS that you have to learn when you can switch to OS X, the proven winner between the two if you have to switch anyway?

Does Leopard boot in <30s? My windows machine does. Paring down the OS usually helps with boot and application load-times. You can complain about Vista being slow, but I bet I could get it to boot in under 30s, as well--especially considering I don't find any of the new graphical features enjoyable.

My version of Leopard boots in less than 30s. Just tried in order to find out.

By temperamental I meant that sometimes the Dock doesn't appear properly on mouseovers when it's placed to the side and hidden. When on the bottom it usually is fine.

The test they did with Macs and PCs is so obviously flawed I don't know how anyone can take it seriously.

Regarding boot times, I haven't found Vista to be particularly slow...I've actually found it a little faster than XP. I find the Mac Pros I've used boot faster...but then they're much more powerful systems.

At work, we are getting ready to put on a webcast of a live seminar for the very first time. We are working with the tech department at UofT and the test video they've put up works for everyone... except Windows Vista users.

We finally hired a tech guy to research the problem and he found a simple workaround: Vista users need to download and install Firefox and a plug-in which allows Windows Media Player to work with Firefox. The problem is some sort of conflict under Vista between Internet Explorere and Windows Media Player.

Way to go, Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back