News   Aug 12, 2024
 695     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 596     0 

The geographic divide in Toronto

Ever heard of future alternative fuels such as hydrogen fuel cells?

How do you produce the compressed hydrogen required to run hydrogen fuel cells? "Currently, global hydrogen production is 48% from natural gas, 30% from oil, and 18% from coal; water electrolysis accounts for only 4%."-Wikipedia

That is, we produce hydrogen by extracting it from hydrocarbons AND we do it using energy we obtain from burning similar hydrocarbons.

Before we crack that particular solution as an 'alternative' to fossil fuels we would need to reliably produce cheap electricity from renewable sources.

Even then, do we really want to use water to fuel our cars? As harmless as it sounds we would essentially be sucking out oxygen from street-level in industrial amounts and converting it into water vapour (which would act as a greenhouse gas and produce large amounts of cloud cover). We would need to ideate a complex system to make this sustainable.

Further engaging in this discussion would be off-topic, but it's fair to say that unless we find or refine a source of cheap energy sometime soon, suburban living will continue to rise in price as a function of energy values.

Well let's not forget the "affluent ethnoburban" element, i.e. the heavy Jewish and Asian tinge as opposed to the old-Ontario WASPiness that still defines Oakville + Burlington.

Good point. There's likely a premium to live in a more "institutionally complete" areas for ethnic communities. You won't find much in terms of kosher food or Asian supermarkets in Oakville/Burlington.

Though east side is more accurate if not the historical term. Kind of like how we still call our art museum the Art GALLERY of Ontario.

East end/East side? What's the difference? Art gallery/Art museum? Again, what's the difference?

Drives me crazy when 'they' call it the 'east side' and not the 'east end'.

It drives me crazy when an address close to Yonge (say, St Lawrence Market) is called the "east end".

West end --- West Side --- Centre/Core --- East Side --- East End

Roncesvalles --- Trinity Bellwoods --- City Hall --- Corktown --- Beaches

I pretty much call anything east of Yonge street the 'east side'. Unless it's Scarborough, in which case I'll call it the 'east end'. I just assumed everyone did that, but it looks like that's nowhere near to being the case.

1885:
Everyone must admit that now is the time to invest in West End Real Estate; land which could have been bought three years ago at $12 per foot cannot to-day be had for less than $20 or $25, and everything warrants the anticipation of a like increase in the future.

maps-r-47.jpg

Full size: http://static.torontopubliclibrary.ca/da/images/LC/maps-r-47.jpg
http://blog.buzzbuzzhome.com/2013/07/torontos-old-real-estate-ads.html

Art gallery and art museum are very different things. Lots of art galleries along West Queen West, for example, but I wouldn't call them museums.

Not to get too nitpicky about this, but a gallery simply refers to the physical (or virtual) space for displaying works. Museum refers to the (generally) public institution that may contain galleries for displaying artwork.

It's not wrong to call the AGO a gallery, because it is one.

Back