News   Apr 24, 2024
 202     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 309     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 639     0 

The Esplanade Assembly | Allied REIT

I wasn't arguing for a particular aesthetic.

I'd be happy to see a well executed Art Deco skyscraper; but not on top of Victorian heritage buildings.

Do note, that I clearly opposed building out the tower proposed above.

I'd further add, I would be interested to see an attempt at a Victorian highrise (done well); but I don't want to tear down existing heritage to get there.

Like many I like 1140 as a proposal. I don't know why you would assume otherwise.

But I would note, 1140, the heritage property was built in 1930, so Deco is a logical style for something built above.

The Front Street row dates from ~1870, certainly long before Deco.
Though I appreciate you taking the time to nitpick on matching styles making your point . I would be nice for a change to see more precast products instead of tin and plastic cladding on a building.

Something along the scale (maybe a bit taller) and quality of 7 St. Thomas would be perfect for this site - what's been proposed here looks crammy. Hopefully whatever proposed for this site eventually would block that awful IBI Berczy as well.

AoD

Last edited:
Can we hide this thread so we dont give developers any ideas? This is the absolute last parcel of land that we need to see razed/facendectomized for some decrepit, rancid Toronto-style development that wont do the block any justice.

Allied is the only Toronto developer that would do the site any relative justice, but even then I wouldnt want them touching this site.

Can we hide this thread so we dont give developers any ideas? This is the absolute last parcel of land that we need to see razed/facendectomized for some decrepit, rancid Toronto-style development that wont do the block any justice.

Allied is the only Toronto developer that would do the site any relative justice, but even then I wouldnt want them touching this site.
Burying this thread won't stop giving developers bad ideas. They're quite apt for doing that on their own.

Too late...

Thank god it's not an actual proposal 😓

Surely it's just a matter of time though? If they can propose to build atop of the Dominion Public Building there's little in the city that they won't build on. Perhaps only the Ontario Legislature and Union Station are safe. At this point I don't think even City Hall, the Royal York Hotel, or the CN Tower is safe. There will surely be people who come along that place zero value on them and seek to re-develop or re-imagine them to suit their personal aesthetics.

It bears mentioning that it wasn't that long ago that some barbarians proposed taking down City Hall's elevated pedestrian walk way and/or to re-clad it in glass. The arguably more significant Concourse Building was lost just a few years back. All that remains is an exterior wall. The other 95% of the building ended up at the city dump. It's unrealistic to assume that a building is untouchable. Apparently, every Toronto building (save 2-3) will eventually be re-developed with an exterior wall indicating what used to stand there.

Last edited:
I mean...bad is bad no matter who it's from. Judging by Page 13 of the PDF, there was little thought into concept development past neat pics on pinterest.
What do you think modern condos are beyond assemblages of products, spec'd to create a given effect. It's all window dressing. And that's not even a bad thing, it just is what it is.

"Neat pics on pinterest'' (precedent) is what most architectural firms do to get a handle on what their client wants. It's almost always one of the initial steps.

Hmmmm let me think. I recall that when I attended university and something I designed did not sit well with my instructors what did they do? They shat upon me with the utmost zeal. Perhaps that wasn’t the best approach but I learned from it. Therefore should I have said ‘good, job great attempt’ rather than my opinion? That would be worse than being honest.

Hmmmm let me think. I recall that when I attended university and something I designed did not sit well with my instructors what did they do? They shat upon me with the utmost zeal. Perhaps that wasn’t the best approach but I learned from it. Therefore should I have said ‘good, job great attempt’ rather than my opinion? That would be worse than being honest.
The opinion in question held no value. No take away. Was simply an opinion that wasn't insightful, interesting, or helpful. I'll leave it at that and move on.

What do you think modern condos are beyond assemblages of products, spec'd to create a given effect. It's all window dressing. And that's not even a bad thing, it just is what it is.

"Neat pics on pinterest'' (precedent) is what most architectural firms do to get a handle on what their client wants. It's almost always one of the initial steps.

It is what is but we can certainly voice our displeasure with that, especially since a common lamentation on this forum is that the culture of development in this city is regarded as nothing but an excercise in real estate investment. If we must refrain from hurting some young prefessional's feelings, one that will likely never read these comments, in lieu of expressnig that displeasure then so be it. But really they already won a competition, I'm sure they can look past our digs.

In seriousness it was a well put presentation, but there's no denying that the visualization that they put out there is a dog's breakfast (out of scale, mishmash of cladding, etc). I remember with how vehemetly attacked The Berczy was on here when the window wall was being revealed and that project actually exists. Surely people being sensitive about ruining a block that many would consider a model of heritage preservation and urban scale in this city can be excused, even if it's just fantasy.

Back