News   Mar 28, 2024
 201     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 303     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 673     0 

The condo act, board powers, registration, etc..

Sorry to hi-jack but my building has banned electric bbq's. Is that normal?
I lived in a building that didn't allow them (or any outdoor cooking) because of smells. When I pointed out that indoor cooking also causes smells, they didn't care. :rolleyes:

Thanks all, appreciate the insight. I reviewed the condo rules and it actually only says "no food or drinks IN the pool". Hence, I would think anything on the pool deck is fine, especially because it later says no smoking in or around the pool.
This may be a case of poor drafting of your Rules as we are all subject to the various Laws and Regulations - even if the Rules are not as restrictive. The City publishes a Guide to Pools (See: https://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_tor...munications/files/pdf/swimming_pool_m2009.pdf )_ It states:

pool.JPG

The Reference is to the Regulations ( Ontario Regulation 565/90).

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 977
Yes, our rules also make reference to the city regulations governing pools.

This may be a case of poor drafting of your Rules as we are all subject to the various Laws and Regulations - even if the Rules are not as restrictive. The City publishes a Guide to Pools (See: https://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_tor...munications/files/pdf/swimming_pool_m2009.pdf )_ It states:

View attachment 113965

The Reference is to the Regulations ( Ontario Regulation 565/90).

That's great, very helpful. Thanks.

As an aside, how can many condos allow both BBQs and alcohol around the pool? I know of at least one rooftop pool where this is the case, although maybe the pool deck is defined as only a small section around the pool and the BBQs and alcohol are outside of that.

Yes, I figured as much. That's why I was hoping someone could give me the name of a reputable provider here in Toronto. Anyone?

I know a reputable Energy Audit, we received several thousand (over 10k+) back from our submetering company for excessive charges.

I also know a good water auditor and elevator auditor.

Is there a way to send private messages?

If not I created a chat area we can connect and network, I can send you the details privately there. https://discord.gg/GYQbuGN

But you know what? My Board is stressed and exhausted. Today I had a meltdown, as did my normally chill-beyond-belief VP.

It doesn't help that our current Brookfield manager is RUDE, CRUDE and a USELESS LIAR and we feel that, if we didn't do all that we are doing, the building would fall down. (The last Brookfield manager was stunned and useless -- and had to leave his former assignment for shady reasons.)

The Brookfield contract is up at the end of the year and we will definitely start looking around before then.

Do you hear that Brookfield???

Did I say BROOKFIELD often enough?

We are so conscientious as a team, and do so much, that everybody in the building -- and it's not a small building -- seems to be happy and rarely complains. We don't pick up on anything negative through our various grapevines. Oh sure, there's always the usual whiners but they whine about anything, anytime, anywhere. Because everybody is confident that the building is well-run, nobody wants to challenge us at election time. The younger newcomers can't be bothered, the downsizers want to relax and travel and the older original crowd members have served their time, are not healthy enough to run or think they live in a rental.

One of these days we will be too tired to go on and, to be honest, all of us are concerned about what will happen then.

I am thinking of seeing about bringing in "apprentice" Board members next year to the extent it is legally possible. And if it isn't, we'll make it happen somehow, even if we have to pass a bylaw adding two-three Board members.

Seriously. Our situation is NUTS.

How's it going with the management search? Did you select a new company yet?

I'm going through the same process now for the same reasons. We interviewed six companies narrowed it down to three... meeting with the managers this week and next and then we make a final decision.

Is there a way to send private messages?
Click on the person ‘s user name and then choose start a conversation.

We have also used a consultant to review our hydro bills. He doesn’t get paid unless he finds a problem.

F Shaw Consulting does great work with the elevator industry. They more than earned their fee with us.

This is an interesting thread. My condo has some funky rules, including not being allowed to put bicycles on your patio (which is a pain when someone visits) and having a maximum number of permitted flowerpots allowed (this one is really bizarre to me). No lights on your patio permitted after March 1, else they're considered holiday decorations. They're now introducing a rule that can charge you if you receive a notice, due to an 'admin' fee. Seems a bit silly.

This is an interesting thread. My condo has some funky rules, including not being allowed to put bicycles on your patio (which is a pain when someone visits) and having a maximum number of permitted flowerpots allowed (this one is really bizarre to me). No lights on your patio permitted after March 1, else they're considered holiday decorations. They're now introducing a rule that can charge you if you receive a notice, due to an 'admin' fee. Seems a bit silly.

Those are insane. But note that "they" is a Board and you can vote it out. Also, under sections 46 & 58,you can requisition a meeting to fight a new rule before it comes into effect.

Those are insane. But note that "they" is a Board and you can vote it out. Also, under sections 46 & 58,you can requisition a meeting to fight a new rule before it comes into effect.

Thanks! Might be worth looking into, particularly if they do some crazy sweep and charge people 'notice fees'

Yes, Rules are made by the Board (not the manager) and they must then tell all owners that a new or changed Rule has been approved and give OWNERS 30 days for the requisite number of owners to requisition a meeting. You need at least 15% of all owners to sign and the Act gives you the instructions as to waht the requisition must say. The meeting can amend, delete or ?? the new/changed Rule. Rules must be 'reasonable' and the number of flower-pots Rule sounds challengeable under that provision of the Act, should the Board try to enforce it.

Back