News   Aug 10, 2020
 364     0 
News   Aug 10, 2020
 1.2K     1 

The Coming Disruption of Transport

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't wait for Silicon Valley to "invent" the concept of a bus and try to market it to the public as a new technology.

The main change from a flexible bus service (like TTC's WheelTrans) was inserting themselves as payment processor.

TorPronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is why we must halt investment in transit. Any fixed-route, rail-based transit we build now will be obsolete in a few short years. As self driving cars (ride-hailing and ride-sharing) make roads more efficient and cheaper to use, transit will be without purpose, and all that money will have been wasted.
We've seen the likely results via ride-sharing. Autonomous vehicles will increase traffic and gridlock making rapid transit even more important.

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
View attachment 251645Beware of those peddling technology solutions in transportation without common sense of spatial distribution, or understanding of mobility principles such as frequency and vehicular capacity (directing my gaze at both AV's and hyperloop)
This! Why does it matter how the car is driven if we all still want a private car to take us somewhere?
I can't wait for Silicon Valley to "invent" the concept of a bus and try to market it to the public as a new technology.
That need only count of our communal ignorance of the past and present.
This slide sure piqued my curiosity.

- Paul

View attachment 232029
Ugh, when I see this I just want to get onto my 1969 Triumph motorcycle with nothing but magnetic and mechanical electronics. I am so glad I got to live a good part of my life before everything went digital and surveillance capitalism.

MisterF

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was at my dad's house on the weekend and the topic of electric cars came up. He's a skeptic. He trotted out all the usual talking points: Oil is the lifeblood of the economy. EVs are worse for environment. They're no good in the cold. There's not enough power in the grid. Solar panels only last 20 years. Hydrogen is better. Every point was either overblown, easily overcome, or outright wrong. Still, a lot of the public feels the same. This is the power of the oil lobby, to get the public to fear change.

For all of Elon Musk's faults, I will give him credit for having the conviction to stick to his vision and, against all odds, make it happen. Thanks in no small part to Tesla, EVs and the battery technology behind them now have momentum that even the oil lobby can't stop. But so many don't see it. If there's one thing that my conversation with my dad has convinced me of, it's that a lot of people and companies are blind to the coming disruption and are going to lose their shirts.