News   Apr 26, 2024
 39     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 132     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 561     0 

The Climate Change Thread

Indigenous Mapuche pay high price for Argentina's fracking dream

Community tell of devastating environmental impact on land where their animals grazed
Uki Goñi in Neuquén

Mon 14 Oct 2019 07.00 BST

I see another region has discovered fracking.

The Pampas region is much like our Prairies.

Indigenous Mapuche pay high price for Argentina's fracking dream

Community tell of devastating environmental impact on land where their animals grazed
Uki Goñi in Neuquén

Mon 14 Oct 2019 07.00 BST

The Mapuche should summon the spirit of young warchief Lautaro to end the fracking of the Pampas.

2KGMKT_CivilizationVI-RF_Game-Art_Mapuche_Lautaro_Bkgrnd.jpg

Stripped bare: Australia's hidden climate crisis

An epidemic of land clearing is sabotaging efforts to address climate change. Farming communities are bitterly divided over the issue – but it also has global consequences

Anne Davies, Mike Bowers, Andy Ball and Nick Evershed
16 October 2019

The greatest failure of many recent mass movements in the West is a failure to branch out from their middle-upper class origins (the source of most political agitators) and connect to the working class.

UK to use finance meant for green energy to support fracking in Argentina

Documents show government’s plans to use money from £1bn 2017 deal to prioritise support of major oil companies

Jillian Ambrose
Tue 22 Oct 2019 12.04 BST Last modified on Tue 22 Oct 2019 20.10 BST

'Racism dictates who gets dumped on': how environmental injustice divides the world

Five luminaries explain the concept of ‘environmental justice’ and reveal why, alongside the climate crisis, it is one of the most pressing issues of our time
by Nina Lakhani

Amazon rainforest 'close to irreversible tipping point'

Forecast suggests rainforest could stop producing enough rain to sustain itself by 2021

Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
Wed 23 Oct 2019 17.13 BST

Coral cover around popular Great Barrier Reef islands has almost halved

Scientists shocked by data showing loss of hard corals at 100 locations across Whitsundays, Magnetic Island, Keppel Islands and Palm Islands

Graham Readfearn
Thu 24 Oct 2019 18.00 BST

Coral coverage around some of the most popular tourist islands on the Great Barrier Reef has dropped by almost half in the last 18 years, according to a new study.

I’m fully on board with Canada reducing it’s CO2 emissions and I believe the climate science is overly conservative meaning we are in worse shape than it is conventional acknowledging; however I’m not really on board as seeing Canada as an environment pariah. Maybe I can be convinced.

If I do a back of the envelope calculation and forgive me if the math is wrong: Canada has 300 times the forest cover of the UK per capita. If we wanted to do a carbon sustainability comparison for today (forget about uk historical emissions and colonial legacy) the UK would have to bulldoze all their cities and farms, plant the entire nation with trees and reduce their population to 660k to be at Canada’s level ;)

If I do a back of the envelope calculation and forgive me if the math is wrong: Canada has 300 times the forest cover of the UK per capita. If we wanted to do a carbon sustainability comparison for today (forget about uk historical emissions and colonial legacy) the UK would have to bulldoze all their cities and farms, plant the entire nation with trees and reduce their population to 660k to be at Canada’s level ;)

Except those forests has been around historically, and not touching them doesn't do any iota for what we are emitting, only not making it worse by removing a sink which we have little economic rationale to do, unlike the slash and burn agriculture in say Brazil (Amazon) or Indonesia.

AoD

Last edited:

Back