534     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.8K     3 

The Budget

• Thread starter prometheus the supremo
  • Start date
P

prometheus the supremo

i'm not quite sure what sort of subliminal message was being conveyed about todays budget with yesterday's photo-op with jim flaherty grinding the blades of a pair of skates :eek

keep an ear out for the gas tax.

i wonder what will happen with transit city?

"Grinding the blades" ? Hmmmm ...

Perhaps people with wheelchairs will get a free cowcatcher for the front, and rotating scythe blades for the axles of their chariot ... to better negotiate urban sidewalks?

i'd rather have this...

home.jpg

This caught my eye:

money.canoe.ca/News/Other...24-cp.html

"The centrepiece of that budget is a proposed fix to the so-called fiscal imbalance that will deliver about $3.5 billion in annual transfers to provincial capitals, with the lion's share going to Quebec."

How does that fix the fiscal imbalance? Maybe the voting imbalance...in their favour...

"The centrepiece of that budget is a proposed fix to the so-called fiscal imbalance that will deliver about $3.5 billion in annual transfers to provincial capitals, with the lion's share going to Quebec."

I noticed that too. Perhaps it will be coupled with a service reduction since Quebec currently duplicates a few services and wants the feds to step back?

Anyway, there is also this:

"The remainder of the projected $8 billion planning surplus is expected to go to energy conservation initiatives, such as rebates for hybrid vehicle purchases, post-secondary education, the child tax benefit, a new approach to research and development emphasizing applied science, and the military."

This is one year surplus related but perhaps a large chunk will go to Ontario.

Anyone remember the last Prime Minister who toadied to Quebec to such a degree as Steve? Here's one hint - he wasn't a Liberal.

Here's another hint - his son continues to haunt us with bad entertainment shows and knock-offs of American reality TV.

And for those who are still stumped, he's still the most hated PM in Canadian history. And destroyed his party after the Albertan bible-thumpers and Quebec nationalists jumped ship as he became more and more unpopular, even in Quebec.

the one who mulruined canada? who can it be??? ;)

Here's another hint - his son continues to haunt us with bad entertainment shows and knock-offs of American reality TV.

You mean British Reality TV. ;)

I'm wondering if history will repeat itself.

Though it means another eight years of Harper, a new Liberal leader, and perhaps a few months of Prime Minister Rona Ambrose.

I am sick and tired of pandering to regions (Newfoundland, Quebec, Alberta), especially since my region has never been pandered to. That said, I am curious about the budget. I think though it mightbe soft and fuzzy enough to help these dicks out.

from the G&M:
OTTAWA — The minority Conservatives' 2007 budget directed tax breaks to specific groups such as manufacturers, small business and farmers, without broad-based change to corporate tax rates or capital gains rules.

The budget is disappointing for business, said Michael Tinkler, vice-chair of the Certified Management Accountants of Canada. He said there is a total lack of new measures for big business over and above those announced previously.

For the first time in three budgets, Ottawa offered no big cuts to corporate income tax rates. But the government is providing incentives to the provinces to eliminate their capital taxes by 2011.

also from the Globe:

NDP Leader Jack Layton agreed.

"As this budget stands, what will happen is that the prosperity gap in Canada is going to continue to widen. This is a series of steps backward ... It looks like the kitchen table got a few crumbs and the boardroom table got big corporate tax cuts."
-----------------------------------------------

Jack Layton - Always there for some meaningless rhetoric.

www.theglobeandmail.com/s...budget2007

Quebec: $5.7-billion boost in transfers announced

DANIEL LEBLANC

Globe and Mail Update

OTTAWA — The federal government is announcing a $5.7-billion boost in transfers to Quebec over the next two years, unleashing a fierce battle in the province among political parties hoping to capitalize on the bonanza in time for next week's election.

The three leading parties in Quebec – the Quebec Liberal Party, the Parti Québécois and the Action Démocratique du Québec – are all expected to welcome the influx of cash. However, they will also take different approaches in staking their claims to even more funding in the future, and in stating how much more money Quebec deserves out of the federal government.

The three parties will have to contend with Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's assertion that discussions on future transfers to the provinces are “finished.â€

Liberal Leader Jean Charest scheduled the election one week after this federal budget, hoping he would get the credit for the new money and therefore solidify his support. As polls show a three-way race in Quebec, however, the PQ and the ADQ will do their best to state this is not a Liberal victory in any way and that the money belongs to all Quebeckers, regardless of who forms the next government.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper made a splash in the last federal election campaign when he promised to take up Quebec's fight for increased transfers to Ottawa. In that context, the Conservative government is now arguing that the budget ends the provinces' fight to win over a larger portion of the rising federal revenues.

“The long, tiring, unproductive era of bickering between the provincial and federal governments is over,†Mr. Flaherty said in his planned budget speech. “The action taken in Budget 2007 will restore fiscal balance through long-term, fair and predictable transfers.â€

Overall, Ottawa is promising to provide $15.2-billion in transfers to Quebec this year and $16.3-billion next year, up from the current level of transfers of $12.9-billion. It's an increase of $5.7-billion in transfers over two years through rising equalization payments, increased health and social transfers, and new money for the environment, infrastructure and training.

Quebec, which has almost a quarter of the Canadian population, is doing better than the other provinces in this federal budget.

Out of $3.2-billion in new transfers to all of the provinces this year, Quebec gets $919-million. And out of next year's $4-billion in new money, Quebec will get $1.1-billion.

“Quebec pays about 21-per cent of the taxes in the country and it gets a third of the new money in the first year,†said Clément Gignac, the lead economist at the National Bank.

Mr. Gignac explained that the new social spending is being spread out on a per capita basis, but that Quebec scores better than the other provinces because it is favoured by the new equalization formula.

Over the weekend, Mr. Charest took credit for the rising transfers coming to his province, while stating there had to be more to come in the future.

“I don't think it will be the end. I don't expect everything will be solved in one single budget. But I do expect that a chapter will be written, and an important one at that,†Mr. Charest said.

The Bloc Québécois in Ottawa and the PQ on the provincial stage have been calling for an eventual $3.9-billion increase in annual transfers to Quebec.

Mpolo2 - always there for some cheap NDP bashing.

Thumbs down - too little spread too thinly. To be fair, there are some decent moves, and not too much in the way of tax breaks.

But many of the environmental policies are feel-good at best, like ethanols and car incentives/disincentives.

[Flaherty] "The day in Canada of governments with their hands out to other governments are passing. It’s time for governments to be self-reliant and to be answerable to their own taxpayers, which is one of the benefits of fiscal balance"

Two-faced hypocrite, as he hands out money to Quebec. Though at least Ontario gets more money:

Ontario’s federal transfers will skyrocketed by $1.1 billion, from $11.65 billion in 2006-07 to $12.76 billion in 2007-08. The news is even better for McGuinty – and Harper - next fiscal year, when transfers from Ottawa will increase by another $1.23 billion to $13.97 billion.

The budget proposes spending $250 million this year for 25,000 daycare spaces across the country. Ontario’s portion is roughly $100 million for 10,000 spaces.

Ontario's budget is coming. I have a feeling it will be better for Toronto than the federal budget.

Back