News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 556     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

The Beer Store: Political Reasons to Keep/Kill It

The answer is obvious; there is too much money at stake for the current owners of The Beer Store if they lose their distribution monopoly.

This announcement is an obvious move to try to reverse public opinion.

I love the corporate-speak: even more transparent (so clearly it was opaque before), truly becoming Ontario-owned (as opposed to falsely Ontario-owned prior?), ad nauseum. I think the government truly need to de-regulate the distribution of beer and put an end to the BS. The only question left is how to do it responsibly.

AoD

I agree, this is just transparent and blatant PR designed to ride out the little flurry of scrutiny. The thing is to continue the scrutiny and the pressure. Anyone know of a petition or Facebook page to join, or who to email in government to register the disgust/deliver the ethics lesson to?

The Beer Store response, as expected, is pure BS. In fact, it's the very definition of BS…Stuff that is made up for the purpose of placating someone with chatter and nonsense. I have written to Kathleen Wynne again requesting the dismantling of the Beer Store and replacing it with free enterprise, i.e. beer sold in corner stores and supermarkets. kwynne.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

The Beer Store response, as expected, is pure BS. In fact, it's the very definition of BS…

I thought the very definition of BS was a lie? So if the Beer Store response is the very definition of BS does that mean they don't intend to do what they are saying they are going to do? ;)

I thought the very definition of BS was a lie? So if the Beer Store response is the very definition of BS does that mean they don't intend to do what they are saying they are going to do? ;)
It's BS because they're not "opening ownership" in any real way. Local brewers can apply for permission to be allowed to include some limited range of their products in some existing Beer Stores.

This reminds me of my parents, who escaped Eurocommunism to come here, marvelling at our sick and twisted version of a market economy. (For the record, I also marvel at this half-command economy with its corporate welfare, bailouts, oligopolies, etc)

It's BS because they're not "opening ownership" in any real way. Local brewers can apply for permission to be allowed to include some limited range of their products in some existing Beer Stores.

Yep. And the brewers that don't join will be even more screwed. It's BS.

Do those inside the Board room of the Beer Store really believe that everyone, let alone anyone, outside the inner sanctum perceives this to be a solution?
I'm scared, who is stupider here, them or us?

New lawsuit could strike down The Beer Store’s Ontario monopoly

From this link:

A lawsuit launched by an aspiring craft beer retailer in Ontario could spell the end of The Beer Store’s stranglehold on private suds sales.

On Tuesday, Barge Craft Beer filed notice with the Ontario Superior Court alleging the deal between the province and The Beer Store constitutes “an unreasonable restraint on trade†and should be struck down.

The province has 60 days to respond.

Michael Hassell, the lawyer representing Barge, said his client is a fledgling craft beer distributor that wants to open “boutique†retail outlets across Ontario.

“In theory, they’re the only competitor to The Beer Store in the sense that they want to sell beer,†he said. “However, their focus would be on high-quality craft beer… not just the mass-produced, low-quality beer that’s the most popular item at The Beer Store.â€

Although businesses like Barge exist in places like Quebec and British Columbia, the Ontario Liquor Control Act forbids anyone other than The Beer Store or brewers themselves from selling beer to the public.

Founded in 1927, Brewers Retail – the non-profit which runs The Beer Store – was once a diverse consortium of beer makers. However, consolidation has left control of the operation in the hands of only three large companies: Labatt, Molson and Sleeman.

“They’ve used their monopoly to control the market,†Hassell said. “You can see all their brands sitting out in front of the store, while everyone else’s is behind a wall in the back room. That’s a pretty unfair situation.â€

If successful, Barge’s lawsuit would invalidate The Beer Store’s monopoly and force the government to draw up new legislation.

For more information, visit bargecraftbeer.ca.

A copy of the notice, including a draft application, can be downloaded here:

Barge Craft Beer Notice of Application concerning the Liquor Control Act Draft for Notice Purposes

Perhaps a province wide boycott of the Beer Store and LCBO until material changes are made would bring about change?

Perhaps a province wide boycott of the Beer Store and LCBO until material changes are made would bring about change?

How about an online monetary campaign to enable a very serious and high profile challenge.

How about an online monetary campaign to enable a very serious and high profile challenge.

I guess it would depend on what basis the challenge was made ....they don't appear to be doing anything illegal. Might be easier to get the public to withhold money from them (via a boycott) than it would be to get the public to give money to challenge them.

Back