News   Mar 28, 2024
 139     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

The Beer Store: Political Reasons to Keep/Kill It

I was told by an owner of a craft brewery that pretty significant changes are coming this spring, but where they fall on the spectrum between franchise fees and the entire system being dismantled he wasn't sure. There were a few specifics that he knew of -- all logical, but nothing earth-shattering.

One of the three major brewers that own the Beer Store is supposedly making a major announcement on the 5th about this issue.

If the announcement is coming from TBS rather than the Ontario gov't, it's just going to be something minor to try and quiet down the calls to end their monopoly.

Yes, it'll be PR spin to convince the apathetic masses how beneficial these monopolies are to Ontario, and how lucky we are to have them. They will probably hire the same firms that used to work on behalf of big tobacco or that try to convince us that global warming is merely a normal cycle.

At the end of the day though i don't really blame the brewers at all, they are just doing what big corporations (are allowed to) do. I blame the government because they are not doing what governments are mandated and funded to do, which is protect the interests of their constituents.... oh, and the electorate for being too docile, apathetic and gullible.

^It should be opened up to competition regardless! Why are people in Ontario so willing to turn a blind eye to ethics? Why do we trust government so blindly?? Here we have direct proof that our government deliberately screwed us over and most could care less.
I don't see it so black and white. I actually don't support a monopoly, but if the electorate of Ontario does, and there is no political will to dismantle the current system, then I think that the Brewers should be paying the people of Ontario quite handsomely for their generosity, what with being granted the enormous privilege of having a retail monopoly in a province of 14 million people.

I don't see it so black and white. I actually don't support a monopoly, but if the electorate of Ontario does, and there is no political will to dismantle the current system, then I think that the Brewers should be paying the people of Ontario quite handsomely for their generosity, what with being granted the enormous privilege of having a retail monopoly in a province of 14 million people.

No, wrong is wrong. No matter how much ill-gotten money is wrenched out you can bet that it won't be a fraction of the amount that corruption costs us in the long run. Societies turn a blind eye to corruption at their peril.

M.R.Victor I just noticed your comment from an earlier post regarding the Dairy Marketing Board.
Code:
that "Stalinist collective" is for the most part the reason why our dairy products don't degrade into the type of toxic sludge available just south of the border. Trust me, the Americans would love to see the milk marketing board dismantled so that Canadian bellies are nice and open to their brand of free market competition. I'm 100% sure that consumers would benefit, no doubt.
I don't know why you think "foreign" milk is toxic sludge. Fact is The Dairy Marketing Board is the biggest impediment to ratifying a free trade agreement with the EU and has also been a sticking point with the US for decades. Canada, in conjunction with the provincial marketing boards, only permits a very small amount of US or European dairy products into the country and the amount that IS allowed in is subject to federal tariffs of up to 400%. That is why a small piece of cheese that you can fit into the palm of your hand can cost three times as much as it does in the US or Europe. The price we pay for dairy in Canada is amongst the highest in the world even when you factor in the tax break subsidies that foreign governments grant their dairy producers. My point is the only reason Canadian marketing boards exist, The Beer Store cartel included, is to give advantage to a few privileged and well connected industries. It has NOTHING to do with consumer "protection".

1505617_1020928797920991_7301387261004389727_n.jpg

Government = LCBO
Private Sector = The Beer Store

Greyer than that, I'm afraid. The gubbmint oversees the whole mess and our politicians have been routinely co-opted (ie. bribed with election funding) to keep the status quo, election after election. The private sector has its tentacles in the public realm. The cozy little divvying up of the booze market between the LCBO and The Beer Store has been blessed by the provincial poobahs, time and time again.

Here here Lenser! What worries/bothers me even more is the apathy of the public when such blatant corruption comes to light. Why should we expect any better if we don't demand it??

Indeed, Tewder. Keeps certain prices artificially high, forces us to choose between TBS and the LCBO when all we want is a 12 pack or a 2-4 of beer... it's ridiculous. Amazing it's continued for so long, altough I suppose that's down to a combination of a complacent Ontario electorate and a ruthlessly pragmatic and efficient lobbying effort on the part of Big Booze. Too many people still think of TBS as a subsidiary of the Ontario government; that's a measure of how successful these white collar crooks have been. The LCBO has bowed down to TBS and slavishly accommodated their rather draconian measures to stringently control and maximize their beer sales profit - it's digusting.

The announcement just came in:

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Beer Store opens ownership to all Ontario-based brewers; New small brewer benefits package unveiled

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/146...rs-new-small-brewer-benefits-package-unveiled

TORONTO, Jan. 7, 2015 /CNW/ - The Beer Store has announced that, effective immediately, ownership is being opened up to all Ontario-based brewers large and small.

In a major announcement today, the Beer Store's current owners said opening ownership makes sense for Ontario brewers and consumers. It helps the retail network continue to offer a low-cost advantage and continues to enable brewers to independently set the lowest average beer prices in Canada, while also supporting award-winning environmental stewardship and a world-class responsible sale program.

"Today marks a new era for the Beer Store. We heard from Ontario brewers that they wanted to participate in the management of the Beer Store and contribute to its future success. That's why we're opening up the system and making it even more transparent," said Stewart Glendinning, CEO of Molson Coors Canada.

"The Beer Store is truly becoming Ontario-owned. Ontario brewers will be represented on the Board and share in decision-making. All owners will have the same or better costs to sell in the Beer Store than the current owners," said Labatt Breweries Canada President Jan Craps.

My thoughts are summed up by the Indie Alehouse tweet: "WHY can't there be fair competition? @TheBeerStoreTed Why do I have to be your partner? Why dictate terms? Why can't I open my own store?"

My thoughts are summed up by the Indie Alehouse tweet: "WHY can't there be fair competition? @TheBeerStoreTed Why do I have to be your partner? Why dictate terms? Why can't I open my own store?"
The answer is obvious; there is too much money at stake for the current owners of The Beer Store if they lose their distribution monopoly.

This announcement is an obvious move to try to reverse public opinion.

Last edited:

Back