News   Jul 23, 2024
 82     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 204     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 963     2 

The Ascendancy of Toronto

Hume: Reports of Toronto’s demise are exaggerated

Okay, to steer us back from Degrassi to the supposed ascent/descent of Toronto, here is Christopher Hume's editorial from today's Star. His sentiments agree with what I posted previously, particularly the "times of change bring out the best in some, the worst in others" which I think sums up the core of the anger we are seeing today.

Hume: Reports of Toronto’s demise are exaggerated
http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/837265

July 18, 2010
Christopher Hume

To listen to the mayoral candidates, Toronto is on the verge of collapse. As one of the more prominent among them likes to say, “The party’s over.â€

Let’s hope not.

Such a dreary vision from a man-who-would-be-mayor bodes ill for the city, especially since dreariness can be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

No question Toronto has problems: Council needs fixing — it’s dysfunctional. And no question our financial house is not in order; we spend more than we make — all of us.

But through it all, Toronto lurches along regardless. It’s no surprise civic politics are on everyone’s mind during a municipal election, but in truth leadership is all around us.

During the last decade and with minimal help from the city, for example, the cultural sector transformed Toronto from top to bottom. The Art Gallery of Ontario, Royal Ontario Museum, Gardiner Museum, National Ballet School, Ontario College of Art and Design and others have redrawn the face of the city.

And despite general cynicism about waterfront revitalization, it is slowly but surely unfolding. With the imminent completion of Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Common, an exciting and innovative vision of Toronto is emerging in a precinct we neglected for decades.

There are those who would tell us we can’t afford parks and beaches, that they are frivolous, and a waste of the city’s most valuable resource — money.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Because of these investments, private developers will spend billions on the waterfront in the years ahead. That process is well underway and land that had little or no value is starting to become desirable.

Let’s hope that party never ends.

Even the infamous Lower Donlands ice facility has apparently been saved from banality through the application of intelligent and innovative thinking. Perhaps, the city isn’t so brain dead after all? The new proposal, revealed last week, is reason for optimism.

Then to top if off, work began last week on revamping Jarvis St. Certain candidates railed on cue, but, frankly, who cares?

Voices of the past are louder than ever in Toronto these days. That should come as no surprise; times of change bring out the best in some, the worst in others.

The G20 fiasco didn’t help; extreme behaviour on both sides — protestors and police — exacerbated divisions within the city and created feelings of self-doubt that went beyond Toronto’s traditional inferiority complex.

But think of the remake of Regent Park, a triumph for the much-maligned Toronto Community Housing. And through all the shouting and screaming, plans for Lawrence Heights could similarly transform that troubled neighbourhood.

Fortunately, the city carries on regardless. Not even an inept council can squelch the energy, though too often it seems to do its best to slow it down. In many ways, council has become a parallel universe, almost irrelevant. Just ask John Tory, the-man-who-could-be-mayor-but-has-better-things-to-do-with-his-time.

The thing about this election is that the focus on politics has stifled discussion of the city. The debate has yet to get beyond council. So far, no candidate has bothered to offer a compelling vision of Toronto. Indeed, to listen to the ranting of some of the more hysterical participants, you’d think the only issue is Kyle Rae’s good-bye party.

Get over it.

Regardless of who becomes mayor in October, he or she can look forward to one certain pleasure: Sitting in their office at City Hall right beside the council chamber’s new green roof, a modest reminder of where the future lies.

We know that’s something each and every one of them would relish.

Common ... the fact Hume even needs to right an article regarding the issue is just silly ... of course the candidates are going to paint a very bleak picture - it gives them all the more room to come up with more policies.

While I've agreed with Glen on a few points - most of arguments candidates make regarding why Toronto is in decline are just preposterous - there are issues, and they've barely been mentioned ...

Common ... the fact Hume even needs to right an article regarding the issue is just silly ... of course the candidates are going to paint a very bleak picture - it gives them all the more room to come up with more policies.

While I've agreed with Glen on a few points - most of arguments candidates make regarding why Toronto is in decline are just preposterous - there are issues, and they've barely been mentioned ...

The comments beneath the article explain why, sadly, such an article needs to be written. Then again, the reasoning in the article seems to fall mainly on deaf ears. Those who have a partisan axe to grind continue to do so regardless of any and all facts -- interesting how every single bad thing in Toronto is always entirely Miller's fault, whilst every single good thing is always in spite of him. What ever happened to a middle ground?

Last edited:
I've said it many times ... I think each and every single one of you will miss Miller ... even if you didn't agree with his polocies ... just wait and see - there are so few 'Mayor' like candiates! It'll be like having Mell all over again.

I've said it many times ... I think each and every single one of you will miss Miller ... even if you didn't agree with his polocies ... just wait and see - there are so few 'Mayor' like candiates! It'll be like having Mell all over again.

I agree. Wanted : someone with guts to lead this city who has the imagination to know it's more than the sum of it's parts. Any present candidate fit the bill ?

I agree. Wanted : someone with guts to lead this city who has the imagination to know it's more than the sum of it's parts. Any present candidate fit the bill ?

Sarah Thompson is probably the only candidate with anything that could remotely be called a vision.

Degrassi, Flash Point and Being Erica (my favourite) are all shows shot in Toronto and take place in Toronto and they are all good shows. I watch them all. Being Erica is even doing a Pride Parade episode. I can't wait to see that. Some of my friends were extras. It was shot on Church Street, in front of Woody's.

New Being Erica episodes?!?!?! WHEN???? :D

Sarah Thompson is probably the only candidate with anything that could remotely be called a vision.

Agree!

I think where you stand on the issue depends on where you live.

I certainly agree that the region and the city have certainly grown in stature and gained a ton of confidence. To some extent, I actually credit the country as a whole in having a hand in this. Toronto being the financial centre of one of the few countries in the developed world that survived the financial crisis with all its banks intact, certainly helped showcase Canada and in turn Toronto's strengths. But it's amzing to see my hometown growing importance globally. We'll never be London or New York. But I don't see why we can't beat out Munich or Zurich in global importance.

That said, while not as pessimistic as Glen, I too worry about Toronto's place at the centre of the region. I don't want the GTA becoming an American donut. And while it's not heading that way, I can certainly see some risk if Toronto doesn't get its fiscal house in order eventually.

I think the worst off are the people that live at the edges of the 416. Ask them if they think Toronto is ascendant and you'll get a completely different response. This band is kind of a strange one. People who are better off and want bigger houses move to the 905. People who are better off and want a more urban lifestyle move closer to the core. The outer 416 seems to be an unhappy middle ground for people who aren't as well off and can't afford to go further or closer. But I'm hopeful that better transit will have a huge impact here. Transit can better tie these areas to the core, opening up more employment opportunities, better social options, etc. And that's why I am supportive of faster transit to these parts (because they tie these areas into the core) as opposed to say better local transit. But that's just a different perspective.

All that said, what I think needs to happen going forward is for the 416 urban centres to develop, SCC for example really needs to add employment. It needs more than a few condos there. And perhaps some more effort to make a small downtown there. Right now SCC in my books is worse than MCC in many respects. But it's got amazing potential. And developing SCC would go a long way to including the whole 416 in Toronto's amazing success.

I think where you stand on the issue depends on where you live.

I certainly agree that the region and the city have certainly grown in stature and gained a ton of confidence. To some extent, I actually credit the country as a whole in having a hand in this. Toronto being the financial centre of one of the few countries in the developed world that survived the financial crisis with all its banks intact, certainly helped showcase Canada and in turn Toronto's strengths. But it's amzing to see my hometown growing importance globally. We'll never be London or New York. But I don't see why we can't beat out Munich or Zurich in global importance.

That said, while not as pessimistic as Glen, I too worry about Toronto's place at the centre of the region. I don't want the GTA becoming an American donut. And while it's not heading that way, I can certainly see some risk if Toronto doesn't get its fiscal house in order eventually.

I think the worst off are the people that live at the edges of the 416. Ask them if they think Toronto is ascendant and you'll get a completely different response. This band is kind of a strange one. People who are better off and want bigger houses move to the 905. People who are better off and want a more urban lifestyle move closer to the core. The outer 416 seems to be an unhappy middle ground for people who aren't as well off and can't afford to go further or closer. But I'm hopeful that better transit will have a huge impact here. Transit can better tie these areas to the core, opening up more employment opportunities, better social options, etc. And that's why I am supportive of faster transit to these parts (because they tie these areas into the core) as opposed to say better local transit. But that's just a different perspective.

All that said, what I think needs to happen going forward is for the 416 urban centres to develop, SCC for example really needs to add employment. It needs more than a few condos there. And perhaps some more effort to make a small downtown there. Right now SCC in my books is worse than MCC in many respects. But it's got amazing potential. And developing SCC would go a long way to including the whole 416 in Toronto's amazing success.

Munich? We certainly beat them.. And Zurich? They're Switzerland's snooze city... I lived in that country for 10 years, and to consider Geneva being the Las Vegas of Switzerland, which it is, is already hilarious.

We're far ahead of those European midsize cities.

I agree with filip. Toronto's now up against the big bad boys; London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and such. We don't have a shot of being London or Paris, but we certainly have a shot at the others, maybe enough to cozy our way up just below London and Paris.

Though I'll agree with all of Keithz's other points, especially on urban centres outside of downtown. All of the current little high density nodes scattered throughout the city, not just SCC and NYCC and ECC, could use a lot of redevelopment and reimagining to bring the inner 416 closer to downtown.

I agree with filip. Toronto's now up against the big bad boys; London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and such. We don't have a shot of being London or Paris, but we certainly have a shot at the others, maybe enough to cozy our way up just below London and Paris.

Though I'll agree with all of Keithz's other points, especially on urban centres outside of downtown. All of the current little high density nodes scattered throughout the city, not just SCC and NYCC and ECC, could use a lot of redevelopment and reimagining to bring the inner 416 closer to downtown.

Trust me, after living in Madrid for a year, they're not even worth our time or attention. They're behind Barcelona in many ways (Spain's second city packs a very mighty punch, unlike ours), while where they do excel, they're far below Toronto. Just consider it a nice location to get so plastered, for cheap, that you will wake up in a fountain the next morning with absolutely no recollection of what happened the prior night.

Back