News   Aug 30, 2024
 40     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 242     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 255     3 

The Annex - Death From Above? (Ice falls from airplanes)

The pattern on the ice seems reminiscent of the pattern of the Bata Shoe Museum's metal roof next door.

i was trying to see if i could see the roof pattern from live maps but i couldn't. though not impossible, it's highly unlikely that it would happen more than once (ice from a plane). of course weirder things do happen but you have to rule out all the other likely possibilities. it's even possible that someone could be throwing ice from one of the roofs, a neighbor being a jerk, etc.

I haven't managed to get a copy of the approach plates for the island. However, I am still skeptical that anybody would put their gear down until they are over the water on Final. Certainly, even the opponents of the airport, Community Air, show the approach over the water on their website. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe Porter only uses runway 08/26 which would put their approach almost exclusively over the water making it highly unlikely that they would be dropping ice from a wheel well over the Annex.

And that's taking into account the plausibility of that level of ice accumulation which if it were to occur on a regular basis would have likely resulted in a smoking hole in the ground by Porter somewhere in Southern Ontario. It would certainly be criminally negligent if the airline were conducting operations that pushed the weather envelope to that extent regularly, such that ice was impacting your property on a monthly or weekly basis.

I admit that I am no expert on this topic, but have you really ruled the other possible sources for the ice? I did a quick Google on the Beta Shoe Museum which is visible in your photo and found these images:

1242579341_45b86bc9fd.jpg

hotdocs2007_031.jpg

It looks like your house is on the left edge of the first photo, and near the middle of the second. If so, there are clearly at least three taller buildings very near your home, any of which could have ice sliding and blowing from their roofs onto your deck. At a glance the Beta Shoe Museum roofline even seems to be corrugated with a pattern vaguely similar to what you see imprinted on the ice chunks. The other two buildings are further away but much taller, so any ice falling from them could travel quite far.

Certainly this ice could have come from planes, but I think you'd have to rule out the more likely possibility that it fell from one of those higher neighbouring buildings first. It seems to me that chunks of ice that size and shape would shatter if dropped thousands of feet. Even if they did survive intact, it seems almost unbelievable that different flights months or years apart would drop ice with such precise timing and accuracy that they kept landing specifically on your deck. With planes traveling at hundreds of km per hour thousands of feet in the air through varying wind directions, the odds of ice repeatedly hitting such a tiny target area would be microscopic.

Last edited:

Back