News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.4K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 625     1 

The 401 thread

It appears the plan is a collecter express system till the Credit River and then a 10 lane (5 lane each way) to Mississauga road.
You sure? I thought that Mississauga Road was set up for Collector/Express under it, but that it would be 5 lanes at Winston Churchill.

I could say the whole highway to Milton needs at least one more lane.
I thought they were planning on taking the 5 lanes through to at least 25 in Milton; and they've been working on design for 5 lanes through Kitchener; the new Town Line overpass in Cambridge has been done for 5 lanes.

Mississauga Rd was built with the collector/express in mind, IIRC. But currently they're only going up to the Credit River, or at least that's how it's appeared in everything I've read. And this first phase is only going up to Hurontario anyway. I imagine this first phase includes replacing the Hurontario bridge?

If they're going to build a collector/express system through to the Credit River, than the Mavis overpass will have to be redone as well. The brand new McLaughlin bridge was built to accommodate this when it was redone several months ago, however the relatively new Mavis bridge (past 10 years or so) will have to be redone along with Hwy 10.

They spent all that time and money making such a huge and nice interchange that did not plan for the widened highway???

Wierd...

I think the plan is to built the express collectors in the most busiest section which is still before the credit river. The 403/410 interchange will likely see

A 10 lane highway is sufficient through the rest of Mississauga.

Likely we will see either a loop ramp from 403 N to 401 West. I doubt they will build a gigantic flyover ramp...

And a regular ramp from 401 West to 403 S.

Spinner, you're right but I think the Mavis bridge was designed so that the highway could be widened. They won't have to replace it, just dig out the sides.

Spinner, you're right but I think the Mavis bridge was designed so that the highway could be widened. They won't have to replace it, just dig out the sides.
Exactly. I e-mailed MTO a decade ago when they were building it, and asked why they were building it so narrow, and they said that it's designed to leave the centre span in space, excavate out the sides, and put 2 more spans up to go over the collector lanes.

Exactly. I e-mailed MTO a decade ago when they were building it, and asked why they were building it so narrow, and they said that it's designed to leave the centre span in space, excavate out the sides, and put 2 more spans up to go over the collector lanes.

Too bad they hadn't thought to do that with the 427 overpass all those years ago.

I'd assume that eventually the Collector/Express system will go as far as Mississauga road. Beyond that it'll be 5 lanes since that's the maximum the fairly new bridge over Derry Rd. can accommodate.

I'm guessing one of those new lanes will be HOV only.

The end of Highway expansion

* I made a similar post in the K-W #8 thread, but Its not identical

I may be a lone voice in this thread....

But I'm getting quite tired of, and depressed by the continuing expansion/widening/creation of highways in this province. :(

With few exceptions, they have only led to urban sprawl, pollution and congestion, all at the taxpayers expense.

I am not saying we should remove all highways or roads, by any means, nor that there is not ever a place for the odd small-scale widening to address a design quirk caused bottleneck.

But I would really like to see the overwhelming effort made by the province and local municipalities to intensify, to curb, nay, eliminate sprawl and to get people to choose transit/cycling/walking/inter-city rail etc. for their transportation option.

In the case of this particular project, this will ruin what little that remains desirable of this section of the Credit River. I want to be able to enjoy a hike along side the river or a kayak trip down it without having to deal both with the endless highways and with sprawl at the valley's edge they help create.

Why not focus the efforts in this area on the GO Georgetown/K-W expansion project, on GO Milton/Cambridge, on the Hurontario LRT (for local traffic) and on various other improvements to Mississauga/Brampton transit?

If all that was done, and still this section of the #401 was bottlenecked, I'd be the first to say we need to fix it (well Ok, maybe the second....or 300th....). But I want to see the other more progressive options delivered first, then we can properly gauge whether more highway here is essential.

not happening

After the 407, no sane politician will seriously considering tolls.

As a politician would you??

If you say yes, of course your lying and trying to be all idealistic.

Highways will have more traffic as there is now a lot more travel not inside metro areas but between them and not to the centre of those metros but to areas outside the metros. Like Going from Brampton to lets say Cambridge.

Like If I want to go to

Last edited:
Press release on paving contract:

Highway 401 Being Improved In Mississauga
June 24, 2009

McGuinty Government Creating Jobs, Keeping Highways Safe Ontario is repaving nine kilometres of Highway 401 in Mississauga from Winston Churchill Road to McLaughlin Road. The project will ensure smooth and safe travel for goods and drivers on one of the country's busiest highways. The $14-million construction contract was awarded to Fermar Paving Limited of Rexdale. Work is expected to be complete by fall 2009 and will create approximately 160 direct and indirect jobs. Drivers may experience minor delays from night-time lane closures and are reminded that speeding fines are doubled in construction zones.

QUOTES
"Investing in highway infrastructure now creates jobs, and helps keep this busy highway and important economic artery in top shape."
– Jim Bradley, Minister of Transportation

"One of the busiest stretches of highway in North America runs through Mississauga. Keeping roads up to date improves safety while making our community stronger."
– Bob Delaney, Mississauga Streetsville MPP

"The rehabilitation of this highway will ensure the flow of goods and people move smoothly, safely and efficiently through our community."
– Amrit Mangat, Mississauga-Brampton South MPP

QUICK FACTS
  • Approximately 140,000 vehicles use this section of Highway 401 each day.
  • The McGuinty government is investing $2.4 billion in highway infrastructure in 2009.
  • Since 2003, the McGuinty government has committed $12 billion in highways, roads and bridges, and invested $7.4 billion in public transit.

Last edited:
Press release on paving contract:

Highway 401 Being Improved In Mississauga
June 24, 2009

McGuinty Government Creating Jobs, Keeping Highways Safe Ontario is repaving nine kilometres of Highway 401 in Mississauga from Winston Churchill Road to McLaughlin Road. The project will ensure smooth and safe travel for goods and drivers on one of the country's busiest highways. The $14-million construction contract was awarded to Fermar Paving Limited of Rexdale. Work is expected to be complete by fall 2009 and will create approximately 160 direct and indirect jobs. Drivers may experience minor delays from night-time lane closures and are reminded that speeding fines are doubled in construction zones.

QUOTES
"Investing in highway infrastructure now creates jobs, and helps keep this busy highway and important economic artery in top shape."
– Jim Bradley, Minister of Transportation

"One of the busiest stretches of highway in North America runs through Mississauga. Keeping roads up to date improves safety while making our community stronger."
– Bob Delaney, Mississauga Streetsville MPP

"The rehabilitation of this highway will ensure the flow of goods and people move smoothly, safely and efficiently through our community."
– Amrit Mangat, Mississauga-Brampton South MPP

QUICK FACTS
  • Approximately 140,000 vehicles use this section of Highway 401 each day.
  • The McGuinty government is investing $2.4 billion in highway infrastructure in 2009.
  • Since 2003, the McGuinty government has committed $12 billion in highways, roads and bridges, and invested $7.4 billion in public transit.

This isn't the widening. Its simply repaving of the existing surface. The Mavis on/off ramps have already been repaved and the eastbound lanes have been prepared for a fresh coat of asphalt.

I really dont understand the point of this, seeing as the highway is supposed to be widened in a few months in this section anyway. Why not combine the projects to save money? Also, the Mavis ramps were repaved, but will have to be moved once the highway is widened. Seems like even more wasted money.

I really dont understand the point of this, seeing as the highway is supposed to be widened in a few months in this section anyway. Why not combine the projects to save money? Also, the Mavis ramps were repaved, but will have to be moved once the highway is widened. Seems like even more wasted money.

How many years will the widening take? If it's more than one then repaving likely needs to be done. The surface may only have a lifetime of 2 years (based on observations of Gardiner repaving).

Combining basic maintenance with a structural contract is a bad idea anyway. Big ticket upgrades are easily delayed and basic maintenance works on a much smaller time frame.

It is also likely that the company which builds the road base/bridge work/general contracting will not be as cheap as one that specializes in paving for the small amount of paving work.

Back