News   Apr 24, 2024
 597     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 818     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 543     0 

TCHC: West Don Lands Affordable Housing (589 King St E, 2x 4 + 8s, Core Architects)

One of the best looking projects Ive seen in a while (LOVE the brick and the colour). Everything cant be the same glass you know....
I wish we'd see more 'brick' or dark coloured construction projects throughout the city like this with that 'old school flavour'.

Several years ago I was very heartened when there were a few projects around that had black brick (i.e. 510 King E) but this district absolutely has too much of it now - this being one example, the new Canary Park towers under construction, and also River City (I realize it's not black brick, but it's now added to the mix). Overall I find it's becoming a bit oppressive, but I guess time will tell once trees grow in and more life comes to the area.

I love this development. No doubt due to my time spent in Montreal, but i am a sucker for cleanly executed brick buildings. Its especially refreshing given the amount of glass being used these days. This along with River city adds a ton of character to the area

Hmm, I like them. I think they're pretty sleek yet still have character. That being said, I really don't like to bring this up again, but the hydro wires are just deplorable. Okay, I know. I'll stop there.

Hmm, I like them. I think they're pretty sleek yet still have character. That being said, I really don't like to bring this up again, but the hydro wires are just deplorable. Okay, I know. I'll stop there.
I agree with you, it's a great pity that the City/Hydro/WT did not remove ALL the overhead south of King Street. They DID remove it all from the main Pan-Am Village site and on Old Eastern Avenue and the City (with extra funding from the BIA) removed most of it from Front Street last year. St Lawrence Street would look FAR better if it were buried!

Workers are changing all the lighter grey spandrel panels on the top two floors to charcoal grey ones. Looks so much better now. Kind of wished the developers of The Berczy changed their mind after installation, too.

These show only slightly more finesse than the aged stock being torn down in Regent park. In fact, I'd say the Regent Park stock may have been more innovative at the time, because it looked starkly new, and because the architectural ideas that were driving the construction of it all were more progressive.

I think the brick, however lovely it may be on its own was not the right fit for these buildings. They look soot-stained in advance, not the best way to go about resurrecting a former industrial slum area.

With their wood interior construction, banal forms and dull exteriors, I'd be surprised if these last as long as the sixty-some-odd years-old Regent Park stock has. Maybe some vines and shrubbery will help. There's a million things that could have been built here, and a multitude of ways they could have been finished. This was a very low setting for the bar, indeed. A well finished, low set bar.

Perhaps, but the buildings themselves at Regent Park weren't really that bad. Some of them were quite good. It was the overall plan and the organization of streets and common areas that caused the downfall. The UK and Holland have many scenic and vibrant communities that are comprised of buildings very similar to the lowrises being demolished at Regent Park.

Oh, goody!

Application:
Building Additions/Alterations
Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 1M6

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#:
14 160692 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date:
May 23, 2014

Project:
Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description:
Interior alteration to ground floor commercial unit for new restaurant. Occupant load = 31 seats inside + 5 staff + 12 patio. Tenant - "Tim Hortans".

Tim Hortans

Sounds like a new type of cafe or something.

They're going to add leather couches, write everything in Italian, double the prices, then market it as a trendy high end cafe. Oh wait, that's Starbucks' strategy.

Last edited:
Steps up to the townhouses along Lower River Street

YUwMB4n.jpg

Definitely not the same as across the street at River City Phase 1 (I don't know what it was on Saturday when I was there - but it looked terrible - construction dust probably doesn't help - also stains on the cladding, why did they now paint the undersides of the baclonies?)

JFGtlAx.jpg

Funny thing is this affordable housing project looks light years better than The Streetcar project across the street.

510-King-st-E-807-Front.jpeg

Back