News   Jul 09, 2024
 41     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

TCHC: West Don Lands Affordable Housing (589 King St E, 2x 4 + 8s, Core Architects)

it is a bit dreary and depressing. No color or any sort of variation at all.

I predict this district in the future will not be called the Canary District, West Don Lands or even the Pan-Am Village. I'm sure people will just call it what it is becoming, the Grey District. Hey, aren't there grey canaries? How about the Grey Canary District? They can decorate the whole district with little grey canaries or even build a grey canary avery as it's centre point. It will look so cute and I'm sure all the tourists will love it! There will be grey canaries everywhere to go along with all those grey buildings, grey lamps, grey benches, grey paving, grey everything. Maybe there is some method to the madness!

I predict this district in the future will not be called the Canary District, West Don Lands or even the Pan-Am Village. I'm sure people will just call it what it is becoming, the Grey District. Hey, aren't there grey canaries? How about the Grey Canary District? They can decorate the whole district with little grey canaries or even build a grey canary avery as it's centre point. It will look so cute and I'm sure all the tourists will love it! There will be grey canaries everywhere to go along with all those grey buildings, grey lamps, grey benches, grey paving, grey everything. Maybe there is some method to the madness!

It's funny how a public housing community (Regent Park) is turning out better than the new waterfront communities.

The East Bayfront will probably be better than Regent Park provided Tridel doesn't put up ugly buildings filled with spandrel at Bayside. Just Monde will probably be better than anything in Regent Park--Great Gulf executes their projects well. Tridel's renderings show no spandrel but the model in the sales centre does in fact show some spandrel.

Last edited:

Hey, it's funny because I am usually the one ranting about how grey everything being built is. The term that I use is "Futuristic Factories", because they look like what factories in the future might look like.

However, I find this entire area to be a fantastic addition, and really, by no means find it drab or grey.

There are those three greyglass buildings, one being the future George Brown residences, and I feel that those are a disaster. The other greyish ones with the floor numbers on the outside of the building, don't bother me anywhere as much as the future George Brown Residence.

at King/River, the brown bricks with the jet black rooflines look superb. And I like those bizarre additions of white, vertical, metallic strips that are interspersed throughout the windows.

There are the grey buildings south of this development, but even those are accented with black-brick buildings with nice copper-green mechanical boxes.

Anyhow, I agree with you, except that I find this area to be a bit better than most.

Back