News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Taxis and ride-sharing in Toronto

There still seems to be no love lost between the general public and taxi drivers. I don't imagine this "strike" is going to win anyone over.

well...thanks to them DVP was jammed for over 45min this morning....definitely sparked discussion and debate...though not sure if its in their favor

well...thanks to them DVP was jammed for over 45min this morning....definitely sparked discussion and debate...though not sure if its in their favor

Some downtowns resident tweeted that the protest backfired, as far as they were concerned.

“Needed a cab today but they are all protesting uber so I was forced to take an uber. Great work! #taxi #uber,” one pedestrian tweeted.
Roland Pharand, whose dog shook as the cab horns blasted, berated one of the drivers blocking his way as he tried to cross at Queens Quay and Yonge.

“All I can say is, honking like this: illegal; blocking the street like this: illegal . . . They're the ones breaking the bylaws,” Pharand said. “There's something wrong with our cab system here.”

Asked if he used UberX, he said, “I will now.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/12/09/taxi-drivers-protest-against-uberx.html

AoD

Tinfoil hat....this strike wasn't organized by the taxi unions it was conspired by Uber from the inside! /s

There still seems to be no love lost between the general public and taxi drivers. I don't imagine this "strike" is going to win anyone over.
Exactly. Taxis needs to win the public opinion right now, and shutting down traffic in the city is not the way to do it. Taxis have had some PR hits lately: the cab that refused the Musik shooting victim, parking in a bike lane, etc.

Sounds like a great day to bike. I mean, there are tons of cabs around and cabbies are generally lousy drivers, but these ones don't seem to be moving much.

Everybody seems to love Uber, at least until Uber implements surge pricing. The cabbies should have stayed home (or taken transit down to a rally), saved on the gas they're burning. The shortage of licensed cabs would likely cause Uber to implement 2x or 3x surge pricing. That would send a better message, I think.

ydZmZSO.jpg

9:45 a.m. Outside Queen's Park. Good PR for the taxi industry

rFLjXDz.jpg

XWSC3xS.jpg

More taxis parked in bike lanes. December 9th Adelaide West of Bay

I think protesting Uber is about as effective as protesting snowstorms. Even King Cnut knew that he had no power to stop the tide.

Back