News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 858     0 

Target

I went to Target Canada for the first time today and although I agree it's absolutely dead in there--as in a shocking lack of customers around noon at the Stockyards location--I gotta say it is superior to the Walmart experience. Or maybe the lack of "people with poor taste" makes the shopping better here? Either way I'm gonna start using it as my monthly "basic" grocery store.

Of course, being on the Keele bus line makes it much easier for me.

I did a comparison shop at the Target in East York yesterday and found it has improved quite a bit since the last time I arrived. The service is incredible, and the aisles were much more stocked than previously. Prices were also quite reasonable on things like pharmaceuticals, and they had a pretty good amount of unique merchandise that you wouldn't find at any other retailer.

I wouldn't write them off yet. Their launch was a complete disaster, but they have learned a lot and seem to be heading in the right direction. For a work day, at 11am, the location was pretty busy.

I make an effort to shop there as I find prices generally the same but sometimes even better. It may not be perfect, but we all know what happens if they leave. Lack of competition for Walmart means they will charge higher prices.

Target got off to a rocky start, but there's no reason they can't turn it around. People need household goods, and it's always good to have a place that cares about design so it's easy to find good stuff for your place.

Slightly off topic, but good news for those seeking to have the U.S. catch up with Canada on this front:

Target Signs Amicus Brief on Marriage Equality

"Without getting into the specifics of a court case, this brief evaluates the issues created by states that both prohibit same-sex marriage and also refuse to recognize marriages that were conducted legally in other states. This position is particularly challenging for a large organization that operates nationally, such as Target. At Target, we have long offered comprehensive, competitive benefits to our LGBT team members and their families, often above what is legally required. We continue to do so today because we believe doing so is right for our team and for our business. But current laws — in places like Wisconsin and Indiana that are addressed in this brief – make it difficult to attract and retain talent. These disparate laws also create confusing and complicated benefits challenges across multiple states."

...not to mention challenges across international borders.

ICYMI,

Target Corp CEO says every Canadian store ‘has to improve’ as bare shelves continue to plague retailer
Hollie Shaw, Financial Post, 8 October 2014

=====
Sounds like Target is working hard to improve its stores. I still find it incredible that they seem unconcerned about a lack of useful website. Even if they don't have online shopping, they need to at least get a website that shows available products and where they are in stock.

We went to Shoppers World Danforth last weekend, needing to go to the Source and Black's. We decided to go into Target as we were looking for a small area rug and a new steam cleaner. The racks with the right size of area rugs were empty. They did have a display model of a steam cleaner in which we were very interested, but no price and none of the boxes below matched the display model. We couldn't find a sales associate to help.

This is just my anecdotal story - we don't go into Target often enough to have any meaningful impression on whether the chain has improved or not (even though our recent visit would suggest otherwise). Interested in what others who shop there more often have to say. I can tell you one thing - I would never go back to Target for anything specific without first checking their website to see if it is in stock, and since they do not seem to be in any rush to get such a site up and running, I doubt I personally will be back any time soon.

The abandoned Rona at the Colossus Centre in Woodbridge (Hwy. 7 + Weston Rd. Area) has been demolished and will become a Target. Will be located right next to the existing Costco.

The abandoned Rona at the Colossus Centre in Woodbridge (Hwy. 7 + Weston Rd. Area) has been demolished and will become a Target. Will be located right next to the existing Costco.

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 687
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 754
Was wondering what was happening there. Should be a good location with Costco drawing lots of traffic

I think Walmart made a mistake in not trying to grab this spot, with rumours that Smart Centres is planning to build condos/office at their current location.

Although Walmart has a good relationship with Smart Centres so they probably already have a new location planned out.

I just heard that the Target store here will not go ahead (the City of Vaughan document I posted was dated June 3, 2014) so something happened to derail their plans. Word is that they will re-box the site into several smaller mid-box retailers. If I'm not mistaken the old RONA building has already been demolished.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a different topic, I noticed that the newest version of the Target app includes Canadian stores. It's a tiny step in the right direction.

Back