News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 804     0 

Target

Wow there are going to be a lot of dead malls, if that list is accurate. Sad.

I don't quite understand. I thought not anything going to Target just stays Zellers.

Why would any mall become dead because of this ? I'm sure I'm missing something.

I don't quite understand. I thought not anything going to Target just stays Zellers.

Why would any mall become dead because of this ? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Well, I think the market place is awaiting the dropping of the other shoe......what does HBC really intend to do with the stores not selected by Target? If a 300+ store Zellers chain could not compete with WalMart....what hope for a 100 +/- chain?

Wow there are going to be a lot of dead malls, if that list is accurate. Sad.

Remember, though, this isn't the complete list. A second wave is coming.

Furthermore, even if the Zellers were to disappear today, I don't think that would kill the two East GTA malls I mentioned, Pickering Town Centre and Oshawa Centre. In both cases, the Zellers locations are sort of in a corner anyway, and there are multiple other anchor stores in place. I suspect Target will eventually end up in both these locations (Pickering, especially, since there is no other Target announced for Pickering yet).

Well, I think the market place is awaiting the dropping of the other shoe......what does HBC really intend to do with the stores not selected by Target?

From what I had read, after 2013 Zellers will no longer exist. I think Target and or HBC will sell the remaining stores.

As to who will buy them, now that is the big question.

Don't know if anyone else mentioned it....

But TARGET has signed for its first 'New Build'.

Its going into the Riocan development a Weston & St. Clair.

130,000sq ft.

Opens in 2013

Source: National Post

Speaking of new builds for Target, if I were them, Heartland would be near the top of the list.

Speaking of new builds for Target, if I were them, Heartland would be near the top of the list.

But is there any space left? I mean, they've crammed as much (large) retail as they can in such a busy area. I would think someone like Home Depot or Rona would have to close before they could come in.

Of course, I'm sure they'll find a parcel tucked away somewhere and just jam it in :)

Interesting news that Target has sold 39 locations to Walmart:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2011/06/24/walmart-zellers-leases-target.html

Now I don't know all that much about the US Retailer market, but I thought Walmart and Target were cut-throat competitors? Seems odd for them to flip stores to their main competition.

Wal-Mart was probably the only buyer that could take that many locations off their hands that quickly. There are only a handful of retailers that operate in spaces that size.

There's a big plot on Matheson east of McLaughlin that is currently idle. I don't know if it is zoned for retail, though.

There's nothing left immediately adjacent to the retail portion of the development but, besides the plot of land mentioned by afrasen (at Amtheson and Falbourne), there's also a very large plot just east of Mavis, between Cantay and the 401. If they decide to build, I suspect the latter would be the preferred option.

Target's new Distribution Centre is under construction in Milton. 1.3 million square feet located off of Boston Church Road (north of the 401 between James Snow and Hwy. 25).

Wal-Mart was probably the only buyer that could take that many locations off their hands that quickly. There are only a handful of retailers that operate in spaces that size.

Canadian Tire has purchased some too.

Back