1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Target

Target unveils Canadian stores
Jessica Rinaldi/Reuters
Target Corp. has announced the first 105 locations that it will take over from Zellers when it begins opening stores in Canada in early 2013.

Target Corp. has announced the first 105 locations that it will take over from Zellers when it begins opening stores in Canada in early 2013.

“This is just the first wave,” Target Canada president Tony Fisher told media in a presentation in Chicago Thursday.

The list includes properties in 10 provinces; 13 in Alberta, 15 in British Columbia, five in Manitoba, one in New Brunswick, two in Newfoundland and Labrador, two in Nova Scotia, 45 in Ontario, one in PEI, 19 in Quebec, and two in Saskatchewan.
The “vast majority” of those sites will become Target stores, he said, after securing construction approval for extensive renovations. “Our goal is to open as many Target stores as possible,” with the first wave opening in early 2013.

Target will pay half of the $1.82-billion purchase price to Zellers owner Richard Baker in coming days for Zellers leasehold interests. In January the retailer announced it was buying up to 220 leaseholds from Zellers, a unit of Hudson’s Bay Co.

Target also announced it will open its Canadian headquarters in 180,000 square feet of space in Missisauga, Ont. The Canadian leadership team will be moving to Canada this summer.

In September the retailer will announce a second wave of store sites, Mr. Fisher said.

Alberta
• Chinook Centre, Calgary
• Forest Lawn Shopping Centre, Calgary
• Market Mall, Calgary
• Shoppes at Shawnessy, Calgary
• Signal Hill Centre, Calgary
• Sunridge Mall, Calgary
• Bonnie Doon, Edmonton
• Kingsway Garden Mall, Edmonton
• Mill Woods Town Centre, Edmonton
• Prairie Mall, Grande Prairie
• Bower Place, Red Deer
• St. Albert Centre, St. Albert
• Sherwood Park Mall, Sherwood Park

British Columbia
• Abbotsford Power Centre, Abbotsford
• Metropolis at Metrotown, Burnaby
• Discovery Harbour Shopping Centre, Campbell River
• Cottonwood Mall, Chilliwack
• Coquitlam Centre, Coquitlam
• Driftwood Mall, Courtenay
• Tamarack Mall, Cranbrook
• Scottsdale Mall, Delta
• Willowbrook Shopping Centre, Langley
• Haney Place Mall, Maple Ridge
• Nanaimo North Town Centre, Nanaimo
• Pine Centre, Prince George
• Oakridge Shopping Centre, Vancouver
• Village Green Mall, Vernon
• Tillicum Mall, Victoria

Manitoba
• Shoppers Mall, Brandon
• Grant Park, Winnipeg
• Kildonan Place Shopping Centre, Winnipeg
• Polo Park Shopping Centre, Winnipeg
• Southdale Centre, Winnipeg

New Brunswick
• McAllister Place, Saint John

Newfoundland and Labrador
• Corner Brook, Corner Brook
• Cabot Square, St. John,s

Nova Scotia
• Bedford Place, Bedford
• Mic Mac Mall, Dartmouth

Ontario
• Durham Centre, Ajax
• Aurora Shopping Centre, Aurora
• Bramalea City Centre, Brampton
• Shoppers World Brampton, Brampton
• Trinity Common, Brampton
• Burlington Mall, Burlington
• Millcroft Centre, Burlington
• Cambridge Centre, Cambridge
• Woodbine Centre, Etobicoke
• Gates of Fergus, Fergus
• 175 Stone Road W., Guelph
• Centre Mall, Hamilton
• South Hamilton Square, Hamilton
• Hazeldean Mall, Kanata
• Cataraqui Town Centre, Kingston
• Lindsay Square Mall, Lindsay
• Masonville Place, London
• Westmount Shopping Centre, London
• Milton Mall Shopping Centre, Milton
• Erin Mills Town Centre, Mississauga
• Square One, Mississauga
• Meadowlands Shopping Centre, Nepean
• Upper Canada Mall, Newmarket
• 1899 Algonquin Ave., North Bay
• Centerpoint Mall, North York
• Orillia Square Mall, Orillia
• Place D,Orleans, Orleans
• Five Points Mall, Oshawa
• Bayshore Shopping Centre, Ottawa
• Billings Bridge Plaza, Ottawa
• RioCan St. Laurent, Ottawa
• Hillcrest Mall, Richmond Hill
• Bridlewood Mall, Scarborough
• County Fair Mall, Smiths Falls
• Niagara Pen Centre, St. Catharines
• Stratford Mall, Stratford
• Sudbury Supermall, Sudbury
• Intercity Shopping Centre, Thunder Bay
• Cloverdale Mall, Toronto
• Shoppers World Danforth, Toronto
• East York Town Centre, Toronto
• Flamborough Power Centre, Waterdown
• Conestoga Mall, Waterloo
• Taunton Gardens Power Centre, Whitby
• Devonshire Mall, Windsor

Prince Edward Island
• Charlottetown Mall, Charlottetown

Quebec
• Galeries d,Anjou, Anjou
• Faubourg Boisbriand, Boisbriand
• Carrefour Angrignon, Lasalle
• Mega Centre Notre-Dame, Laval
• Galeries Chagnon , Levis
• Place Longueuil, Longueuil
• Place Alexis Nihon, Montreal
• Place Vertu, Montreal
• Terrarium Shopping Centre, Pointe Claire
• Les Galeries De La Capitale, Quebec City
• Place Fleur De Lys, Quebec City
• Place Laurier, Quebec
• Le Carrefour Rimouski, Rimouski
• Promenades Saint-Bruno, Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville
• Carrefour Saint-Georges, Saint-Georges
• Carrefour Richelieu, Saint- Jean sur-Richelieu
• Carrefour du Nord, Saint Jerome
• Carrefour de L,Estrie, Sherbrooke
• Les Rivieres Shopping Centre, Trois Rivieres

Saskatchewan
• Northgate Mall, Regina
• The Centre, Saskatoon

I'm interested in this. There's few big surprises, so I'm interested to see the second list in the fall. but it does mean a lot of third-tier malls didn't make the cut. There's no Lawrence Square or Gerrard Square. But malls like Centennial Mall in Brampton and Westdale Mall in Mississauga will be devastated. I was surprised that Sheridan Mall in Mississauga and Scarborough Town Centre didn't make the cut.

I'm interested in this. There's few big surprises, so I'm interested to see the second list in the fall. but it does mean a lot of third-tier malls didn't make the cut. There's no Lawrence Square or Gerrard Square. But malls like Centennial Mall in Brampton and Westdale Mall in Mississauga will be devastated. I was surprised that Sheridan Mall in Mississauga and Scarborough Town Centre didn't make the cut.

Centenial Mall was, to me, a pretty obvious one to not make it. My preference would be to see that entire mall go .....knock it over build some multi-family residential......but if it has a future as a retail it seemed clear that it was not going to be with a Target Store as part of that future.

Some locations might be missing because Target is still working out the details with the respective landowners. The fact that they are missing from this first list doesn't necessarily mean that they are not desirable locations in Target's eyes. It appears to be a work in progress.

I am always surprised when someone desribes Gerrard Square as a third-tier mall. I guess it depends on one's definition of "third-tier", but it is a completely different mall than it was a few years ago, ever since it was "boxed". I would be kind of surprised if Target were not interested in it, given its central location among a number of gentrified and gentrifying neighbourhoods in the east end. Having said that, I am not party to Target's leasing strategy obviously, and there may be other reasons why they might not be interested in Gerrard Square (GFA, location within mall, etc.).

Some locations might be missing because Target is still working out the details with the respective landowners. The fact that they are missing from this first list doesn't necessarily mean that they are not desirable locations in Target's eyes. It appears to be a work in progress.

That's quite true as the full list is supposed to come out in September..

However I don't think Sheridan will be added.. They are managed by Bentall Kennedy and 10 other Zellers were already announced through them so I wouldn't see this as being an issue.

My thought is that the proximaty between SQ1 and EMTC is too close for them.

Interesting that there's nothing within the former City of Toronto yet (Shopper's World IIRC is within the former East York--come to think of it, two within East York?!?). So, not only Gerrard Square, but the Galleria and Bloor/Dundas didn't make the cut...

Interesting that there's nothing within the former City of Toronto yet (Shopper's World IIRC is within the former East York--come to think of it, two within East York?!?).
Where was the East York/City of Toronto border -- north or south of Danforth?

The Toronto-East York line is just south and west of S.W.D. - the border on Danforth was at Lutrell Avenue (hence the streetcar loop and Scarborough buses looping there until the subway opened to Warden in 1968), so just a tiny part of East York went south of Danforth, but south of the tracks, it was the city of Toronto still to Vic Park. West of Lutrell, the border was generally one or two blocks north of Danforth all the way to the Don River, not a straight line.

I believe that the Ford plant which pre-dated Shopper's World was likely located outside the Toronto boundary "for a reason"...

From an east GTA perspective, I'm not at all surprised to see the Durham Centre Ajax location there--it already feels Target-esque. No surprise over the Taunton Rd. location in Whitby--another newer store in a rapidly developing area. What is interesting is that they're bypassing the two large mall-based locations in the Oshawa Centre and Pickering Town Centre for the time being, and going with the smaller-mall location of Five Points in Oshawa. That does fall in line with many Targets in the States, which tend to be freestanding or close to freestanding and not part of larger malls. (There are exceptions to this--was in the LA area last week and saw numerous Targets attached to large malls).

Though West GTA, the locations are in major regional "second-tier" and first-tier super-regional malls like Square One, Bramalea, EMTC (all 3 former Eaton's stores) and SWB, Woodbine Centre, Burlington Mall.
Interesting stuff.

Ya know the Woodbine one REALLY surprised me a lot.. I went in there back in the Winter and the entire mall was pathetic. Very empty, with lot's of closed stores and the Zellers looked worse for the wear. Add to that even Sears was closing early as they had no customers!

Maybe we can get Target to pay for a portion of the Yonge subway extension to Centerpoint mallmat Yonge and Steeles. It would be the only Target on the subway. Call the station "Target".

Allow the site 60 stories. It would be The gateway to Toronto.

Last edited:

Back