News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Target

We already have Winners on Bloor we don't need another low end chain on this stretch of Bloor. I would rather see one of the many American high end department stores take over that space, unlikely that will anytime soon. Even better would be a mid level retailer like Macy's, J C Penny or even a Kohl's would do very well in this part of town.

Remember the HBC on Bloor is a quirk, built for Morgans department stores, while Queen Street was built for Simpsons.

It would appear that Target is virulently anti-union and that working conditions and salaries are as bad, if not worse, than at Wal-Mart. Never shopped at the latter, and it looks like I'll avoid Target as well.

Remember the HBC on Bloor is a quirk, built for Morgans department stores, while Queen Street was built for Simpsons.

It wasn't. The Bay acquired Morgans in 1964, and converted their Ontario stores to the new name over the next few years (the Quebec stores following in the 70s). Indeed, the Hudson's Bay Centre was built as a corporate-office emblem of HBC's "moving east"...

As for Zellers locations likely becoming Targets, I'd go with:
Toronto:
Warden/Eglinton
Cloverdale
Shoppers World Danforth
York Gate
Woodbine
Centerpointe [sic]

GTA West:
Burlington Mall
Trinity Common
Shoppers World
Bramalea City Centre
Square One
Erin Mills
Sheridan

GTA North:
Hillcrest
Bayview/Wellington (Aurora)
Upper Canada Mall

GTA East:
Pickering Town Centre
Ajax (Salem/Hwy 2)
Oshawa Centre
Brooklin

In the maybe column:
Lawrence Square (one might see this mall redeveloped with the Lawrence Heights project making it a useful property)
Dupont-Dufferin Galleria (with site development)
Gerrard Square (not large enough, but would be good location with reno/expansion)
Bridletowne (Would need lots of attention, but a decent location)
Malvern Town Centre
Thorncliffe Park
Cedarbrae
Milton Mall (with redevelopment)

Unsuitable:
Brampton Centennial Mall
Queensway-Kipling
Westdale
North York Sheridan
Georgetown Marketplace (small store, in same plaza as Wal-Mart)
Bolton
Orangeville (Orangeville Mall)
Davis/Leslie (Newmarket)
Taunton/Ritson

Unserved markets:
Markham
Vaughan

When Wal-Mart took over the Woolco stores, there were a lot of underserved markets. Wal-Mart refused outright some stores like the one in Barrie which was a small downtown store. Others were replaced very quickly when it found a partner in First Pro (now "SmartCentres"). Brampton had no Woolco, so the first brand new Wal-Mart spec store was in Brampton. I expect Target to have a similar relationship with RioCan, and RioCan is slightly better than SmartCentres - it also operates traditional malls unlike SC.

(If it is ever built, I could expect the Osmington mall in Brampton to score Target - half the appeal of the Osmington mall is to serve under-retailed Georgetown and area)

It is interesting to note that in Woolco, Wal-Mart quickly gained two-floor stores in malls, which it was never used to. I never expect Wal-Mart to open in a new mall (like the one planned for Northwest Brampton), but it hasn't been quick to be rid of its mall stores - I can only think of a few stinkers like Blandford Square in Woodstock and Morningside Mall that it dumped quickly.

When it built a new store at New Sudbury (the main mall in the region) to replace the old small Woolco store, the new store remained attached to the mall.
RioCan's Stockyards development would be a perfect site for a Target, likely making a Dupont Galleria Zellers site moot.

Last edited:
A location you overlooked: the "Towers Plaza" one at Bloor/Dundas/Roncy--I'd suppose unsuitable as-is, but locationally splendid for Downtown West Target-eers. So btw/redevelopment there, redevelopment at Galleria, and a Stockyards site, we have three spots to speak of in that end of town...

What I would like to see is Target takeover the Yonge & Bloor Hudson Bay store. Hudsons Bay doesn't need two locations downtown and they could use the money from the sale to focus on the Queen street store which is in desperate need of attention.

I think the Y&B store is far more likely to go upmarket (Lord & Taylor's ?) than downmarket (if it changes at all)

I can't wait! I used to shop at Target all the time when I was living in the U.S.
Their Super Target stores is an awesome one stop shopping place for everything, and they make shopping at discount stores fun and hip (kind of like IKEA).

Zellers is definitely out of touch (and I don't even know where they are even located these days) and I don't want to see the evil Wallmart taking up almost most of the discount retail market.

It wasn't. The Bay acquired Morgans in 1964, and converted their Ontario stores to the new name over the next few years (the Quebec stores following in the 70s). Indeed, the Hudson's Bay Centre was built as a corporate-office emblem of HBC's "moving east"...

True... although there was a Morgan's there (I believe) before it became the HBC Centre. My intent was to comment on the fact that we have two downtown Bay stores because of different chains etc... It still is a quirk of HBC consolidation.

I think the Y&B store is far more likely to go upmarket (Lord & Taylor's ?) than downmarket (if it changes at all)

God, if the Bay ever left that corner, I'd far prefer a Maison Simons to Target.

I think the original plan to bring the Lord & Taylor banner to Canada is currently dead, so as to focus on the Bay, IIRC.

God, if the Bay ever left that corner, I'd far prefer a Maison Simons to Target.

I think the original plan to bring the Lord & Taylor banner to Canada is currently dead, so as to focus on the Bay, IIRC.

Yes, yes yes! Although I can't picture Simons in that concrete bunker.

Yes, yes yes! Although I can't picture Simons in that concrete bunker.

I can't see this being a site that they would sell/relinguish to another retailer.....so it is either leave it alone as a Bay (a renovated improved Bay but a Bay none-the-less) or bring a brand that they control....like L&T.

I don't think they ever had "plans" to bring L&T....it was speculated at the time but they never confirmed it.....I think they have spent the first few years of owning HBC doing 3 things:

1.....trying to bring back the Bay as a full service department store (and progress has been made)

2.....establishing/expanding Home Outfitters as a key player in the profitable home furnishings marketplace before too many of the US competitors got here....somewhat done
3.....figuring out what to do with Zellers (done, apparantly).

Now, I guess, they can fully develop their senior department store strategy which could be something along the lines of key downtown locations starting fresh as L&T and the Bay becoming a more suburban-mall full service outlet.

Back