News   Jul 29, 2024
 105     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 

T&T Supermarket Chain acquired by Loblaws

yea they aren't exactly cheap but sometimes there are sales. Their sales can't be compared to other chinese stores but their quality is better. The cheaper chinese supermarkets also have cheaper quality. However T&T compared to loblaws, sobeys etc that stock chinese products, T&T is cheaper. The only problem I have with T&T is their Quality Assurance. They don't check the self items often enough and some items are expired. Loblaws, Sobeys and other bigger stores have better QA. Hence T&T is a bit behind in that aspect. I still think Wellcome store in HK is still the top in supermarket quality.

The stores that makeup part of Loblaws are:

Atlantic Superstore
Dominion
(Newfoundland & Labrador)
Extra Foods
Fortinos
Loblaws Ontario
Loblaws Quebec
Maxi
No Frills
Real Canadian Superstore
Your Independent Grocer
Zehrs

and now
T&T

From that logo, it looks like even they're coming to realize that "Your Independent Grocer" looks ridiculous. (The signage for such stores used to emphasize the "Your", believe it or not.)

I thought the Your Independent Grocers were affiliated or franchised or something. I don't believe the stores themselves are run by Loblaws.

Many of them were originally run by former IGA franchisers after LOEB took over and there was a major cleansing of franchise owners. It begs the question as to how much change in store management will take place at T & T.

I tend to think of it as a non-GTA equivalent to the Mr Grocer/Valu-Mart lineage...

Brand Rationalization

While I certainly want to see T&T stay as its own stand alone brand, I think its long since time Loblaws rationalized most of their store brands.

There really is no point to Zehrs being its own store anymore, its a Loblaws by one other name! The same can really be said of Fortino's; years ago it was at least an 'italian-influenced' grocer, you saw some difference in cookies/biscotti and deli meats. Not true anymore. Its just Loblaws with an Italian name.

Valumart has always been the most useless brand, those former Mr. Grocers are somehow more expensive that No Frills and don't look as nice or have the selection of a typical Loblaws.

My Suggestion:

Loblaws *should be:

Loblaws
T&T
No Frills
&
some kind of 'Urban Loblaws' maybe under that name, maybe a diff. one.

Lose all the other store brands.

Of course, first they have to get the Loblaws brand repaired before stamping it on everything.

:)

* as a side note, Loblaws is gutting/expanding its store at Bayview & Moore
It will be interesting to see if they've learned anything yet about how to design a grocery store!

:D

There's superstore, too, which is not really the same as Loblaws.

I think you're right though. It's odd that they operate under so many names. Maybe with Metro biting the bullet and doing something similar Loblaws may as well.

Loblaws brings it to a whole new level.

There's Loblaws, Loblaw Great Food, Loblaw Superstore, Real Canadian Superstore, Atlantic Superstore. Why do they need three different stores with the name "Loblaw" in them?

The "Real Canadian Superstore" is being phased out in favour of "Loblaw Superstore" - I saw one renamed recently.

Yeah, Zehrs and Fortinos are the best examples of redundant brands - Fortinos seemed like a weird brand that was found only in Hamilton, Burlington, Brampton, Woodbridge and NW Toronto, but not Mississauga or Oakville (I remember when the Loblaws in Brampton was re-branded in the late 1980s to Fortinos). Metro did quick work of removing the A&P, Dominion and Barn brands (and getting rid of its already-owned "Super C" brand in Ontario, replacing it with Food Basics).

YIGs are found not only in Ottawa, but along the Ottawa Valley and Sudbury regions as well.

There should be a few brands:
Loblaws Superstore
Loblaws
No Frills
Valumart (small town format)
Loblaws Fine Foods (urban smaller store format)
T&T

and perhaps keep YIGs where the stores are still indepedently owned and operated

Last edited:
I think Freshmart is a better brand than Valumart for those small, franchised locations. Particularly since those locations tend not to offer much "valu".

Back