News   Aug 27, 2024
 118     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 1.4K     6 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Swaminarayan Mandir/Canadian Museum of Cultural Heritage of Indo-Canadians

why oh why does this have to be so far away? something like this has to have more prominance in our city!

It isn't "far away" if you live near it. I suspect that far more of people who will use this building live near it than live downtown.

There's no way they could have built it for $40 million downtown...the land alone could have cost more. It's like suggesting the Crystal Cathedral should not be in Garden Grove.

Ziggactly. Where downtown is there space large enough for a campus like this? Nowhere close to transit, that's for sure. Nowhere affordable either.

This place has not been built primarliy as a tourist attraction anyway - it's meant more for Hindu pilgrimages, and it makes sense to be close to the bulk of the GTA's Hindu population.

All that said, maybe in some halcyon future there will be better transit to Toronto's northwest corner. Enlightened thinking and Woodbine Live may help to spur it; if this spot becomes a magnet, it may help seal the deal.

Is anyone concerned about how well the marble will age? Being right next to a highway can't be good.

This is mind blowing!! This just goes to show you what CAN be done , even in this century when people decide to make something incredible. WOW!

why oh why does this have to be so far away? something like this has to have more prominance in our city!

Bad location.
This should be somewhere..... well, anywhere but where it is.

There's no way they could have built it for $40 million downtown...the land alone could have cost more. It's like suggesting the Crystal Cathedral should not be in Garden Grove.

These structures are always built away from the cities that are attached by their name: Chicago is really several miles away in Bartlett, IL; the same with Houston which is located actually in Stafford, TX. Believe me, they know what they are doing, they will be heavily attended in their Ontario location, by followers and tourists.
__________________​

Yes cost is a primary factor for location, but where the main population that will participate is located is usually a major factor as well. Asian Indian communities near Bartlett IL, for example, are large enough to support several types of sects of Hinduism aside from this one, within a two-mile radius. Finally, Swarminarayans support their buildings not just by actual monies but also "sweat equity" labor and skills, donated for free and thus not part of the cost (that was mentioned in a previous post). Historically, until the train and car made the suburbs prevalent options, other religions built new churches the same way, but in the poorer sections of the cities.

Is anyone concerned about how well the marble will age? Being right next to a highway can't be good.

Marble will hold up just fine. Look at Chicago and New York, which have several buildings clad in marble at the base of the structure and have withstood decades of grime, auto pollution, acid rain, and normal wear-and-tear created by humans (like graffitti and a few other unmentionables) with minor consequences. The only problem that I can see will be increasing costs to build with marble in the future, especially the type of white marble that their sect demands.

I have 20 posts per page as my default (same as the old board), with page 1 being the earliest posts.

Yes but there is one more factor. I have a data-bound screen that oftentimes forces me to do edits in the foreground, and carry less posts per page. My Page 2 actually does not contain a post from you. I'm guessing where it is at. And I will not be able to modify this until I get back to Chicago or Toronto when I can use less restrictive computers than I am using now in NYC.

The graphics we are posting here, both mine and others, are resulting in image doubling for me. I'll be interested in how they look when I finally see them - I hope they are as I say.

I see this as a bad location not because it isnt downtown, but because it is in the middle of an industrial park.
It could be in the middle of Vaughn, Brampton, Barrie... wherever - as long as it is somewhere other than an industrial park.

Back