News   Jul 04, 2024
 277     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 484     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 525     0 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

I think he may be talking about new retail at the Eaton Centre/Atrium/ or Metropolis 10 Dundas, and probably not a supertall.

But, as they say,.... we.....shall... see!

Looks like Mongo is right.

Leftcoaster said:
Hmm, some good guesses there, some of them are even on point, but not about what I was hinting at.

Should be a few big changes at least to that area, but one in particular that will change the entire feel of it.

Last edited:
It would not be a surprise to see an "outlying region" like Mississauga get a super/mega before downtown Toronto, Several decades ago, the Maclean-Hunter lands around Yonge/Sheppard were supposed to get a massive art-deco-ish tower, but plans fell through. It would be curious to see if that tower had been built if the city would have ended up with high-rise "clusters" like Houston, Seoul or Atlanta.

Anyhow, in my opinion, only the Yonge-Dundas and Yonge-College area could support mega structures like -this. Perfect densities. Yorkville residents would freak if the rumoured ones go up in their area.

I'd be surprised to see the suburbs getting a supertall anytime soon. Those kinds of heights only make economic sense in downtown Toronto. I could see some towers in the 200-250m range being built in the suburbs, but not much taller than that. And while a lot of the supertalls that have been built were mostly out of vanity and not for economic reasons, even if it was about vanity, it makes more sense to built it in downtown Toronto imo.

^^^^ Agreed, in theory, however, with the increasing number of restrictions on height in and around downtown that are coming into play (and will come further into play in the near future), I wonder if some builders will get frustrated and head to areas that are more development-friendly (such as outer 416 and 905)? This is of course regarding residential towers only.

Since when is the outer 416 and 905 developer friendly to skyscrapers?
You think there wouldn't be people complaining in those areas about such huge buildings? I'd bet the bank you would have a larger number of nimbys.

Last edited:
There are a dozen or more locations (York-Yonge/King-Front) with mediocre existing buildings that can be demolished to make way for a supertall....
with no height complaints.

Since when is the outer 416 and 905 developer friendly to skyscrapers?
You think there wouldn't be people complaining in those areas about such huge buildings? I'd bet the bank you would have a larger number of nimbys.

The Square One area in Mississauga is the only place I can think of for which there is already a precedent. Even there, taller buildings than is currently the case might well face resistance from suburban residents more accustomed to low-rise urban profiles. Everywhere else, I'd expect stiff opposition to truly tall towers of any kind.

I don't think most people would object to a 250 meter ultra thin point tower, especially if it was an exceptionally elegant design... as long as their own home doesn't fall within the shadow range of said tower.

Another post by LeftCoaster on SSP:

"There might be a major change coming to Yonge Dundas square that will bring a lot of Caltrane's favourite "chichi" people to the area.

Its all very "hushhush" right now but I'll break the news when it's appropriate."

Sears is getting replaced by an American high end department store. Think Saks or so...

Remember, LeftCoaster works for CF!

What "increasing restrictions on height"? It would seem to me we have fewer restrictions downtown than before.

^^^^ Agreed, in theory, however, with the increasing number of restrictions on height in and around downtown that are coming into play (and will come further into play in the near future), I wonder if some builders will get frustrated and head to areas that are more development-friendly (such as outer 416 and 905)? This is of course regarding residential towers only.

Sears is getting replaced by an American high end department store. Think Saks or so...

Remember, LeftCoaster works for CF!

Really? what's your source? It is time for the Sears to go. It is huge, without so much business.

zones.jpg

Here are some zones I think a supertall might not be amiss in - with some conditions. Missing from the map are Scarborough town centre and Sheppard and Yonge at the 401, which I think could both handle one or more. Also, the west end of the Bloor line isn't on here, or Sherway Gardens. Would a building there as a 'gateway' marker would be a good idea? (Like the singular Palace Pier used to be). Downtown Mississauga I could see eyeing a few - it's certainly got the room.

The areas that interest me are around certain subway stops and in-city industrial areas. Yorkdale shopping centre, I think, for example, could easily put a small cluster of highrises including some supertalls attached to itself without blinking. Planes leaving Downsview runway might have to fly as close to them as the Gardiner is to certain waterfront condos, but, hey - who's counting!?
Maybe a demolition and redevelopment of the area around Victoria park? Come to think of it, if those buildings were demolished, I don't think I'd want to see skyscrapers return there. I think they mar the sensitive landscape there. So - revise that. Not Victoria park.

Some in-city industrial zones, especially the ones around Eglinton / Don Mills particularly - are huge. If these were redeveloped as high-intensity mixed-use residential zones, they could be attractive. But that's a big 'if'. Within these areas, speculatively, a supertall might make a nice signature piece.

I'm divided on the Portlands. I champion Waterfront Toronto's current plans as they are to date - as they're actually real life plans!
But, while fantasizing and speculating, I like to envision uses there being a bit more vivid, one way or the other. (No, not anything like the Fords are bandying about).
I think the portlands would make a great waterfront central park for the city, in it's entirety. The whole thing. What a gift that would be! But, since I don't expect to see the entire site freely handed over to meadows, vales, orchards and bosky dells, the idea of it's densities being polarized into a waterfront park west of Cherry and a wholly new futuristic downtown core east of Cherry is tantalizing. This central block along between Lakeshore and the shipping Channel could be a good place for a cluster of competing supertalls. If the area was contextually developed around it to suit. With no new place to build huge office buildings in the old downtown - why not make a new one - still downtown?
I'm afraid to even mention this, given the current slavering over the place by current administration.

Then there's that wonderful series of lots and low buildings between Yonge and Cooper between the Gardiner and Queen's Quay. Not a bad place to consider, for one.

Anyway, something to think about. Toronto, seen from the air, is surprisingly far-flung, low-rise and suburban. And flat. There's no topography from which to view one part of the city from another.
I'd rather see us intensify within our current boundaries than continue to spread outwards. The notion of some new supertalls downtown continuing to demarcate the centre - but with outer ones as reminders and markers of areas we can't usually see from where we're standing, intrigues me. Supertalls as a unifying architectural gesture. It's a bit Hugh Ferris, but not an unpleasant thought.

Last edited:

Back