News   Apr 25, 2024
 127     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

My first thought:

WAIT!, let the Cumberland Terrace re-do come to market first, every cycle the owners are late to market and we get stuck w/that piece of #$#@ for another decaded+.

If something like either of these 2 proposals (100/80) come to market, and are successful, I see Cumberland sinking again)

My second thought: Honestly residential height is getting a little concerning. People forget the practicalities, like the last blackout.....natural water pressure only gives you running water to between the 6th and 11th floor depending on your area and floor heights.

So, no power (back up generators generally only give you 30min to an hour of water pumps)....no water, that's not just the sink folks, or the shower, no toilet either!

Also, no power, no elevators..........you thought walking up 20 floors sucked, wait for 80+.

Not trying to be a buzz kill.....I can still support residential at High Rise levels....I'm just thinking this is overkill.

Besides, I want more mid-rise intensification on Danforth, Bloor West, Eglinton (East and West) etc.

Toronto has truly reached another Golden Age for skyscraper developments.

That, or we're reaching the peak before the crash. Remember that the largest skyscrapers are planned/built before a crash (i.e. Burj Khalifa, Empire State Building).

Last edited:
My first thought:

WAIT!, let the Cumberland Terrace re-do come to market first, every cycle the owners are late to market and we get stuck w/that piece of #$#@ for another decaded+.

If something like either of these 2 proposals (100/80) come to market, and are successful, I see Cumberland sinking again)

My second thought: Honestly residential height is getting a little concerning. People forget the practicalities, like the last blackout.....natural water pressure only gives you running water to between the 6th and 11th floor depending on your area and floor heights.

So, no power (back up generators generally only give you 30min to an hour of water pumps)....no water, that's not just the sink folks, or the shower, no toilet either!

Also, no power, no elevators..........you thought walking up 20 floors sucked, wait for 80+.

Not trying to be a buzz kill.....I can still support residential at High Rise levels....I'm just thinking this is overkill.

Besides, I want more mid-rise intensification on Danforth, Bloor West, Eglinton (East and West) etc.

Agree. 100 stories simply isn't practical. Like you, I would much rather see intensification in those areas you mention. (Not that the two are mutually exclusive.) It doesn't make sense to have such low density along the subway route. We only have 2 lines (basically) ! We have to use them in the most efficient way possible. I think it must be tough to intensify along Bloor/Danforth though, because the neighbourhoods are so well established and there would probably be a lot of NIMBYism.

That, or we're reaching the peak before the crash. Remember that the largest skyscrapers are planned/built before a crash (i.e. Burj Khalifa, Empire State Building).

Yes, I'm concerned that this is the Stollery's/Bloor West site, and that it will be knocked down only to sit as an empty dirt pit for years as One Bloor East did.

i think we need something in the 1200ft range, not the 1500, or 2000ft range. 100 floors would probably put us at around 1100ft.

I hate to throw cold water on these 100-storey and 2 x 80-storey rumours, but i think they are just that: rumours.

Anyone who has an ear cocked toward the news these days would expect a slowdown, not a heating up.

Colour me skeptical and doubtful.

This could be this decade's new "Manulife tower" rumours: lots of talk, mentions of star architects, musings about various sites.....and ultimately nothing.

Can a building like this make financial sense? I've always heard that nothing much over 60 stories is ever cost effective. Once you get higher than that, the extra costs of elevators and HVAC cost you more per floor than the income you'd get from the extra units.

Back