News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

Stupid question of the day here (yeah, leave it to me :confused:) but does anyone know if 45 Bay is a lost cause, or, are there still plans for the site? It could be another possible supertall site. The way thing are going, sadly, I just can't see a supertall being constructed for at least a decade, I only hope I'm still alive to see the day we get one. I have no doubt we will get one eventually, I'm just praying that my colon cancer stays in remission long enough for me to see it! (Fingers crossed, they already removed my colon, rectum and three feet of small bowel, cancer sucks! But, it is not a death sentence, you just tend to walk on egg shells, praying it stays away). What do you think?

I dont think its a lost cause, but then again with all the recent office proposals, and some under construction and others ready to proceed, i doubt it will be a supertall.
The city wants to keep that lot commercial, so the only way i can see that supertall thing happening, is if they build a single mixed used structure,
.... say 3 to 5 floors towards the bus terminal and retail, 30 storeys of office space, and 45 storeys of residential overtop
Anyways Hanlasboy, all the best

Stupid question of the day here (yeah, leave it to me :confused:) but does anyone know if 45 Bay is a lost cause, or, are there still plans for the site? It could be another possible supertall site. The way thing are going, sadly, I just can't see a supertall being constructed for at least a decade, I only hope I'm still alive to see the day we get one. I have no doubt we will get one eventually, I'm just praying that my colon cancer stays in remission long enough for me to see it! (Fingers crossed, they already removed my colon, rectum and three feet of small bowel, cancer sucks! But, it is not a death sentence, you just tend to walk on egg shells, praying it stays away). What do you think?

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your health challenges. I think I remember you mentioning your age and I know you aren't heading into geezer territory yet. I hope you are around to see several supertalls! In the meantime, I hope you richly enjoy each day you do have. Go well!

Hanlansboy, your words really hit home with me. I was diagnosed with colon cancer back in 2008, and I remember looking into the large hole that was the Shangri-La back then, and wondering if I'd still be alive to see it completed. Well, four years on, I'm still going strong, and I'm sure you will be too when a supertall is constructed! Wish you all the best.

Hanlansboy and wmedia. I wish you both the very best, it sounds like both of you appreciate every day you have whilst many others sleepwalk through life taking good health for granted. All the best and good luck!

Hanlansboy and wmedia. I wish you both the very best, it sounds like both of you appreciate every day you have whilst many others sleepwalk through life taking good health for granted. All the best and good luck!

Well said buildup! :)

To bad it not being built here and we would finally get a 1,000 footer. I love the design of the build also and it not square.
Largest skyscraper on West Coast approved for San Francisco Transbay Transit Center

By: Mike Billings | 10/18/12 8:28 PM
Assistant Managing Editor | Follow on Twitter @mbillings

Courtesy rendering
A rendering of what the tower would look like within the Transbay Transit Center and on the San Francisco skyline.

A 1,070-foot tower that will become the largest skyscraper on the West Coast received its final approvals from the Planning Commission on Thursday.
It marks a significant step forward for the project, which is a key piece of the Transit Center District Plan that will redevelop the area around the new Transbay Transit Center in South of Market. The new hub, which is being rebuilt at First and Mission streets, will eventually be the downtown terminus for Caltrain and the future state high-speed rail network.
“I think the vote came out great because it allows the project to move forward,” said Paul Paradis, senior managing director at project developer Hines.
Transit Center Tower

• 61: Stories
    912: Approximate height to roof
    158: Extra feet of decorative crown at top of building
    1,070: Total height
    1.37 million: Square feet of office space
    10,600: Square feet of retail space
    28,300: Square feet of open space
    39,370: Square feet of off-street, subterranean parking
    Source: Planning Commission

Before the Planning Commission voted on the final approvals, Fred Clarke of Pelli Clarke Pelli, the architect for Hines, unveiled the latest small changes to the plans, including a new elevator that will tie the tower together with City Park, a quarter-mile stretch of open space atop the transit center. The building and the open space also will be connected by a 30-foot-wide pedestrian bridge that will extend from the fifth floor of the tower, which will house retail space, according to the architects.
Clarke also showed the Planning Commission the actual metal and glass that will be used on the exterior of the building. He explained that the skin of the building has been augmented to add metalwork that will grow deeper and denser at the bottom of the tower. Clarke said adding the metal to the glass exterior will give the building a light texture that will glow in an ambient way.
The metalwork also was used to make the building safer for birds and to help control the flow of water down the structure.
Some people speaking about the project decried the tower as being too large and criticized its design.
Commissioner Gwyneth Borden noted that the plans and design for the Transamerica Pyramid were widely panned at the time, but that the building has become an icon.
Others lauded the design, which has the tower gently tapering in as it rises.
“I think this is going to be San Francisco’s greatest tower,” Planning Commission President Rodney Fong said.
Several commissioners also made a request for the developers to include an observation deck that would be open to the public.
“I think the request to investigate the observation deck is reasonable and we will certainly work with staff to fully investigate that topic,” Paradis said after the meeting.
The next step is Hines buying the land, which is currently owned by the Transbay Joint Powers Authority.
Negotiations are ongoing.
mbillings@sfexaminer.com

Not fair!!!! A city that will eventually end up in the ocean gets the shiny new supertall? I'd love to know, from an engineering standpoint, how they make a supertall quake proof? Not sure I'd want to be on the top floor when the big one hits! We have the perfect geology for a supertall, one day, sigh.........

A supertall is a building over 300m in height

We are building more highrises now than San Fransisco will in the next century and you guys are begrudging them one tower?

We are building more highrises now than San Fransisco will in the next century and you guys are begrudging them one tower?

Not begrudging them at all, I'm happy for them, and it's true, we've had/have more new construction then most cities would see in decades, and for this I'm grateful. However, just for that reason, it would be the perfect crescendo for us to get a super tall, call it a childish delight, but, just to say we have one would be wonderful. Yes, we have the CN Tower, yes, we have FCP which is only 2 meters off the supertall mark, and yes, we have dozens of soaring towers, but none over that magic number of 300 meters. I suppose it silly really, but just for bragging rights, not to mention the visual dynamic to our ever changing skyline, I'd love to see at least one. I'm sure, in time, it's inevitable, just hope two things. First, it's done with in my life time, and two, it's done tastefully, to compliment our skyline, time will tell, until then, I'm not loosing sleep over it, with so many new projects announced recently, we have more then enough to talk about. As for San Fran, since I've never been there, once they finish their new supertall, I now have the perfect excuse to go, I just pray that's not when the big one hits, I am a quake magnate! My hubby is from El Salvador, my first trip there in 96', they had their first major quake in over 50 years, a 6.0, scared the hell out of me. Been there four times since, three of those times there were a 5.3, 5.1, and 5.9 respectively. His family nicknamed me, loosely translated, the quake curse, thankfully, they live in Santa Ana, second biggest there, and constructed on solid bedrock, so they claim.

^ Well, hopefully in the not too distant future the two Oxford supertalls will be rising on the skyline, and between now and then it's quite possible that other supertalls will be proposed in Toronto.

Back