News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

What about 151 Front St W (SE Corner of Simcoe & Front)? Relatively low-rise building, and has some interesting opportunities for tearing down/re-incorporating part of the Skywalk, possibly even going out over the rail tracks a bit. Could potentially be coordinated with the redevelopment of the MTCC North.

Don't know how it is these days but 151 Front had long been a major telecommunications nerve centre. My dad worked for CNT there through the 70s and 80s and two of my brothers did worked on the building's heating and plumbing systems. There were a couple of floors given over to heavy-duty computer and comm gear.

Yeah, these days the building seems shortish and inconsequential.... don't know how stable its current tenancy is.

not allowed to say anything more than this, so don't ask, but something HUGE is coming to the downtown core.. but not supertall huge. (probably one of dozens of projects on the go right now, but this is the first/only one I have ever had insider knowledge of.)

One Bloor East getting some new neighbours?

I don't think they'll touch 151 Front, it's completely leased and redevelopment is probably prohibitively costly. You aren't moving offices around, there are servers in there that many local biz and institutions rely on for 24/7/365 availability. The last plan to build an addition onto the south-west side of the building got shelved. Data centre expansion is happening elsewhere, Allied REIT bought 35 John Street and 905 King St W and new customers are being directed there

It wasn't the Ed mirvish project. That came as a complete surprise to me! Note that I have not heard anything about this said project since I last mentioned it, it might have been cancelled, it might not have.

the fact that there are even rumours about other supertalls is just mind boggling - great to be a skyscraper geek in TO these days..

Istill bet Calgary gets the first supertall in Canada. Toronto will get rumours and proposals that go nowhere.

Istill bet Calgary gets the first supertall in Canada. Toronto will get rumours and proposals that go nowhere.

I don't understand why you would think that??? Considering that the new tallest building in the west is The Bow at 236M is the tallest building in Canada outside of T.O, right? As a mixed use, primarily office building, you would assume they could go taller. Considering we here in Toronto have several residential buildings under construction that greatly exceed 236M, I really wonder what could motivate you to believe that Calgary of all places will get a supertall before Toronto, let alone ever.

I don't think they'll touch 151 Front, it's completely leased and redevelopment is probably prohibitively costly. You aren't moving offices around, there are servers in there that many local biz and institutions rely on for 24/7/365 availability. The last plan to build an addition onto the south-west side of the building got shelved. Data centre expansion is happening elsewhere, Allied REIT bought 35 John Street and 905 King St W and new customers are being directed there

I believe I read very recently a story in The Globe and Mail that this building houses a very large and very important chunk of Toronto's telecommunications and internet infrastructure and that it would take years and massive amounts of money to replace it. Apparently at least two floors of the building have nothing but hundreds, maybe thousands of network servers and phone company equipment.

Last edited:
I believe I read very recently a story in The Globe and Mail that this building houses a very large and very important chunk of Toronto's telecommunications and internet infrastructure and that it would take years and massive amounts of money to replace it. Apparently at least two floors of the building have nothing but hundreds, maybe thousands of network servers and phone company equipment.
That's correct. There's a significant portion of Canadian Internet traffic that runs through 151 Front. It's Canada's premier Data Hotel.

Stupid question of the day here (yeah, leave it to me :confused:) but does anyone know if 45 Bay is a lost cause, or, are there still plans for the site? It could be another possible supertall site. The way thing are going, sadly, I just can't see a supertall being constructed for at least a decade, I only hope I'm still alive to see the day we get one. I have no doubt we will get one eventually, I'm just praying that my colon cancer stays in remission long enough for me to see it! (Fingers crossed, they already removed my colon, rectum and three feet of small bowel, cancer sucks! But, it is not a death sentence, you just tend to walk on egg shells, praying it stays away). What do you think?

Back