News   Apr 26, 2024
 409     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 196     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 658     0 

Subway Extension to STC or Sheppard East LRT?

Which would you choose, a subway (replacing the SRT) to STC or a Sheppard East LRT?

• Total voters
But two of those stations Midland and Ellesmere I bet dont get much use... McCowan is also so close to STC it shouldnt be too big a loss.

This is a little off topic... How many people think there should be LRVs/HRVs serving all educational institutions, i.e. Centennial.

I voted for the subway extension.

It's a no brainer to extend the Sheppard subway to STC and replace the SRT ... though I assume you'd only go as far south as Lawrence before coming up to STC. (just kidding, the poll question is very poorly worded).

Seriously, I voted yes, because clearly Sheppard East LRT is dead. So might as well use that money on the Danforth subway extension to STC.

And as you've not cancelled the SRT upgrade as part of this poll, then once the subway extension to STC is open, you can close the SRT and complete the upgrade and extend to Malvern as originally planned!

I think it's pretty clear that "a subway (replacing the SRT) to STC or a Sheppard East LRT?" is pretty clear in that the subway itself is REPLACING the SRT, i.e. the funding that was to go to converting the SRT to Mk II and later LRT would go to REPLACING the SRT with subway instead.

That said, even there was funding still available after replacing the SRT with a subway on a new alignment, I don't see how there'd be any demand for an LRT in the SRT alignment, even if you extended it to Malvern.

In theory though, I wouldn't object to an SRT/LRT commencing at STC and extending to Malvern, as I think STC is a good terminus for subway and a good starting point for LRT out into the far reaches of Scarborough.

I think it's pretty clear that "a subway (replacing the SRT) to STC or a Sheppard East LRT?" is pretty clear in that the subway itself is REPLACING the SRT, i.e. the funding that was to go to converting the SRT to Mk II and later LRT would go to REPLACING the SRT with subway instead.
I tried to clarify this earlier, if you were talking about taking the funding from the current plan to replace the SRT with LRT, and you said "No, I'm not referring to replacing the SRT with LRT."

Now you say you are taking that money.

The poll is completely and totally of no value, as it is not clear. It's not even that clear which subway you want to extend to Scarborough Centre.

In theory though, I wouldn't object to an SRT/LRT commencing at STC and extending to Malvern, as I think STC is a good terminus for subway and a good starting point for LRT out into the far reaches of Scarborough.
If you do that, why not simply run it all the way to Kennedy in addition to the subway. You'd still be servicing all the in between stops that would lose service, and let someone who is travelling to Kennedy ... or even on Eglinton a one-ride trip.

How is it not clear? You're just confusing things.

This poll is about replacing the SRT with a subway? HOW IS THAT NOT CLEAR?

What's not clear is why your not including the upgrade from the SRT to LRT in the question.

Why would I? We're talking about replacing the SRT with a subway instead. The whole point of building the subway is that you can run the SRT into the ground while the subway is under construction, rather than having to take it out of service for months to renovate it.

I'd have thought you'd have had to have cancelled the upgrade to find the money for your subway ... but hey, it's your poll - as confusing as it is.

abstained. question is way too misleading.

The real choice is more like:

1. BD Subway extension to STC.
2. SE-LRT and SRT LRT upgrade and extension to Sheppard

But two of those stations Midland and Ellesmere I bet dont get much use... McCowan is also so close to STC it shouldnt be too big a loss.

This is exact argument those of us advocating for a subway have been saying. Ridership at Midland, Ellesmere and McCowan can be consolidated at STC without much loss, because most of those riders arrive by buses...which can be at STC two minutes later.

If you do that, why not simply run it all the way to Kennedy in addition to the subway. You'd still be servicing all the in between stops that would lose service, and let someone who is travelling to Kennedy ... or even on Eglinton a one-ride trip.

Will the ridership justify running both the subway and the RT between Kennedy and STC? Note that the cost of modifying the existing RT to either Mark II or to LRT is quite nontrivial.

Plus, if the subway takes a new route and the north-south section of RT is decommissioned, the space may be used to add another track for the Agincourt - Stouffville GO service.

Will the ridership justify running both the subway and the RT between Kennedy and STC? Note that the cost of modifying the existing RT to either Mark II or to LRT is quite nontrivial.
Do you need to modify it then ... would the capacity justify expansion, or could we just tender for vehicles that are compatabile with the Mark I's ... and perhaps just rehab the whole thing at nights.

Plus, if the subway takes a new route and the north-south section of RT is decommissioned, the space may be used to add another track for the Agincourt - Stouffville GO service.
There is plenty of space for at least 1 more track.

Not true ... rail service would continue to STC on the SRT. With LRT Scarborough would have dozens of new stations. With subway extension they would have 1 new station and the closure of 4 existing ones. That's an awful lot of people who won't have nearby stations with just the subway.

You should the term "stations" losely when it comes to the LRT. I doubt most Torontonians would consider glorified bus shelters to be stations. Are they even completely protected from the elements along these LRT lines (SRT and extension notwithstanding).

In any event, I was referring to the fact that no replacing the SRT will leave no higher order transit going to STC since the SRT will eventually have to put out of service and the SELRT currently is not planned to head to STC.

Back