News   Apr 24, 2024
 687     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 886     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 559     0 

Submission 12: Mackenzie Keast - arch bridge "promenade"

How would you rate Submission 12 out of ten?

Votes: 19 17.0%

Votes: 28 25.0%

Votes: 13 11.6%

Votes: 19 17.0%

Votes: 8 7.1%

Votes: 13 11.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
It's a decent bridge, but not for this location. A rail corridor is a substantially different context than a river setting with all its additional noise which is detrimental for a public space. How do you handle the suicide barriers? With tall cast-iron fencing? That's oppressive and makes the space less pleasant. Glass just wouldn't belong. Brick will probably turn out to be an eyesore with all the diesel trains.

Plus, it doesn't seem to have much to do with premodern Toronto architecturally. Is there one bridge in Toronto that looks like that?

No Bikes?

I love the european atmosphere that your design conveys. My comment is that I don't see it as being very bike friendly as drawn here. You'll need some ramps, big ones to get it high enough to clear the trains. Very well done nonetheless.

Martincan

The design itself is nice, but nothing new in my opinion. Toronto needs something contemporary and creative that meets the needs of our diverse population.

A fantastic proposal -- one that just keeps growing and growing on me. Its biggest strengths, by far, are its turning the bridge itself into a proper destination, its simplicity, and its sense of timelessness. Without a doubt it would also help revitalize that section of Front Street.

Its other virtue may be its design versatility: just a few simple touches could help integrate its exterior better with the contemporary structures to its south while retaining its nods to Toronto's architectural past. Same goes for the choice of materials for its lamps and deck. But the key to any tweaking would be to not go too far and to stay true to the simplicity, elegance and understatedness that make it so inviting.

With some minor tweaks, some classy, understated spectacle could be injected to contextualize it a bit more .... and make it symbolically "span" Toronto's past and future.

Last edited:
Nice concept Mackenzie! All the best from one of your fellow colleagues ;).

I'll take a close look at it and provide some comments once this hectic week is over.

Love the look

Not sure about the Brick... seems out of place but the design is great, and i love the trees

I love it's comfortable surface, especially the trees. I just think the brick should be made into something else.

Back