News   May 02, 2024
 774     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 228     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 305     0 

Streetcar Attack Victim Angry Over TTC Driver's Lack Of Action

Eighteen-year-old college student Jennifer Kutosa (pictured) relied on the TTC for her daily trip to George Brown College, and for the most part her experiences with the streetcar commute on the busy King St. line were positive. The doors always opened for her and she got to school on the cheap by using her Metropass. But her perception of the public transit service was dramatically altered when those same doors slammed shut on her when she desperately needed help.

Kutosa was beaten by two thugs while trying to board the 504 car at King St. and Yonge on Tuesday at around 3pm, and she maintains the driver of the streetcar saw her ordeal, but closed the doors and took off without helping or calling authorities, leaving her to fend for herself.

Our TTC operators are superheroes!

Meet Bob:

"My CIS showed that I was 3 minutes behind schedule, even though I was closely following another streetcar in front of me that was running 7 minutes behind schedule - I was soaking that poor schmuck good! Then some lady on the street is being mugged and assualted. But since my CIS machine told me I was running late, I decided I couldn't even call transit control and ask for police assistance! So close the doors and go.

"I hope they don't short turn the car in front of me. That would fill up my car. I don't like passengers. They ask questions. The expect help with strollers and carts. They don't go out the back door. Oh, I love the new automated announcments, where I can press a button to tell people this car is short turning, get off, rather than actually saying it myself ahead of time."

Bob does his best to adhere to his schedule, especially when convenient. And he presses a button to remind passengers to move back. That's heroism.

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek - I know this doesn't represent all, or even a majority of TTC drivers, but it does represent a visible bunch of bad apples that turn people off).

Anyone seen the "Drunk Vomit Comet Bus Fight" video (or whatever it's called) on YouTube?

That thing went on for like 10 mins and the bus driver just kept on driving...didn't stop...didn't even come over the loud speaker....did NOTHING.

Then again, if I was a bus driver, I doubt I'd risk bodily harm when a) I'm not getting paid a lot (although I don't know their salaries for sure) b) I have nothing to help out with (like a stick or spray) c) given our backwards justice system, I could be the one being charged with assaulting some youths.

They should just enclose the drivers already, and then put some sort of big red button that fills the bus with Gas to knock everyone out long enough for the cops to arrive. Maybe they can just have some sort of really sticky gooey stuff that just keeps people from moving.

Anyone seen the "Drunk Vomit Comet Bus Fight" video (or whatever it's called) on YouTube?

That thing went on for like 10 mins and the bus driver just kept on driving...didn't stop...didn't even come over the loud speaker....did NOTHING.

Then again, if I was a bus driver, I doubt I'd risk bodily harm when a) I'm not getting paid a lot (although I don't know their salaries for sure) b) I have nothing to help out with (like a stick or spray) c) given our backwards justice system, I could be the one being charged with assaulting some youths.

In this case, the driver was in contact with dispatch. He was told to drive on, the police were on the way. Where the film ends is when the police arrived and made arrests.

It always seems to take forever, but help did arrive.

In the other matter of the driver's lack of action, Giambrone said on CFRB this afternoon that the police, TTC management, and the union are reviewing the matter and is in contact with the victim's parents.

I think most drivers are pretty good. In Miss. they have highlighted more than one incident where transit drivers saw crime in progress, etc. and gave assistance. They are presented with recognition certificates, with Hazel present.

If they can identify the driver who slammed the door on this girl, he should be disciplined. :mad:

When I got mugged on the subway 10 years ago, the subway operator wouldn't let the train move an inch, and had police and security there within minutes. They were tremendously helpful.

I really hope this was an anomaly, or that the driver was sincerely unaware that the girl needed help.

I think most drivers are pretty good. In Miss. they have highlighted more than one incident where transit drivers saw crime in progress, etc. and gave assistance. They are presented with recognition certificates, with Hazel present.

If they can identify the driver who slammed the door on this girl, he should be disciplined. :mad:

We had something like that with the TTC. They would put up posters with employees that had made a difference through heroic acts and initiative. I don't remember if there was formal recognition beyond that though.

We had something like that with the TTC. They would put up posters with employees that had made a difference through heroic acts and initiative. I don't remember if there was formal recognition beyond that though.

Those ads were a joke. The "heroic" acts included picking up the phone and calling transit control. What do TTC Special Constables do? I see them all over the place, idling in their Impalas. Has there been a marked decrease in crime or vandalism since they were put on the beat?

Those ads were a joke. The "heroic" acts included picking up the phone and calling transit control. What do TTC Special Constables do? I see them all over the place, idling in their Impalas. Has there been a marked decrease in crime or vandalism since they were put on the beat?

No, but I was under the impression that they employed the bare minimum needed for security.

Back