News   Apr 19, 2024
 15     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 444     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 779     3 

Street Signs

I've not seen anything like those. I've also never seen a Toronto reference to the 'quadrant' designators. The only Canadian use I can think of is Calgary but there may be others. Possibly UK?

Thanks for the reply. I friend did some research on the cast iron signs and determined they were from Knoxville, TN. With Midland and Islington being out in the townships, I wondered if it was something York County had come up with way back when.

Dead thread I know, but this is what the new East York street signs look like. From 2017:

1599016064074.png

IMO it still feels bland and I'm not sure if anyone will bat an eye at the logo. The word East York could've been added on as well.

Actually, those are nice for standard street signs.
Eh, I guess they do look okay. It would be interesting to see what the pre-amalgamation logos would look like on the Toronto street signs. However, I noticed a newer looking Scarborough sign that was implemented last year.

1600381351643.png

This is from 2017.

1600381415996.png

This is from 2019.

Dead thread I know, but this is what the new East York street signs look like. From 2017:

View attachment 267187
IMO it still feels bland and I'm not sure if anyone will bat an eye at the logo. The word East York could've been added on as well.

That's a lazy way to do it. It probably corrupts the original design guideline.
The neighbourhood customized designs should be on the top panel, where the city logo is.
As in this:
Beach sign.jpg

Source

or this:
bridlewood-sheppard-avenue.jpg

Source

Last edited:
Eh, I guess they do look okay. It would be interesting to see what the pre-amalgamation logos would look like on the Toronto street signs. However, I noticed a newer looking Scarborough sign that was implemented last year.

View attachment 270094
This is from 2017.

View attachment 270096
This is from 2019.

Traffic light mounted street signs are different, but you're right, that's not the new standard.

Was wondering if you guys had any street signs you were willing to sell, as platinum liquidations has been quite bare in recent times.

View attachment 267187

The East York signs are even used on College View Avenue:

IMG_0500.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg

I have taken the photos today at College View and Avenue, a few kilometres from East York.

Now that this thread is back, does anyone have any idea when the Annex street signs were made? I've heard people throw around that they were made in the fifties or sixties but on first thought I assumed that they were made more recently as they aren't metal and very thin. I've been looking to buy some of these for some time, but they seem to be quite rare and even rarer that the city replaces them.
The Annex Real Estate | The Julie Kinnear Team of Toronto Real Estate Agents

Here's Jimmy Wisdom Way (formerly the southern section of Locksley Avenue between Eglinton and Hopewell) in Fairbank that I took today.

IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0540.jpg

Notice that the Jimmy Wisdom Way signs have the wordmark of the former City of York. This sign is placed next to a Hopewell Avenue sign (that was installed when the former City of York existed (it's the newer version with the lowercase lettering)).

Now that this thread is back, does anyone have any idea when the Annex street signs were made? I've heard people throw around that they were made in the fifties or sixties but on first thought I assumed that they were made more recently as they aren't metal and very thin. I've been looking to buy some of these for some time, but they seem to be quite rare and even rarer that the city replaces them.

The Annex ones are certainly unique.

In terms of condition I'd assume much newer than other acorn ones but I have also heard they may be from the 60s or 70s.

The flat piece plus the finial on top is really weird in my opinion, but also appear rarely in other forms around the city.

I suspect that the signs with a 'neighbourhood slant' date from the 1990s. Certainly the ones in St Lawrence were all installed in about 1999-2001 when the neighbourhood association and the then Councillor (Kyle Rae and then Pam McConnell) used s 37 funds to make a whole bunch of them. As seems to be inevitable, as these get damaged or fall over, they are replaced with the standard City signs.

I suspect that the signs with a 'neighbourhood slant' date from the 1990s. Certainly the ones in St Lawrence were all installed in about 1999-2001 when the neighbourhood association and the then Councillor (Kyle Rae and then Pam McConnell) used s 37 funds to make a whole bunch of them. As seems to be inevitable, as these get damaged or fall over, they are replaced with the standard City signs.

Hmmm didnt know the st lawrence ones were so new. Some have even been taken down since then which would mean they were only in service for a decade or so ,pretty short lifespan.

Back