1.7K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 536     0 

Street Cleaners

casaguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is one of those things that makes me think "WTF?!?!?"

For years I've been seeing these loud, polluting monsters on our streets.

They leave behind a total mess, missing half of the garbage.

Wouldn't a guy with a broom be a much more efficient way to sweep our streets?

DSCN0690.jpg

What, you don't like our fleet of MadVac 2000's? I noticed there is a well worn broom attached just for back-up.

Every night around 10 pm they have a pumped-up version of this cleaner, the ones with the circulating brooms on the bottom that seem to be wet, running up and down Church St outside my place. It seems to just run up and down the curb lane. It's really loud and very annoying. Does anyone know what this one does??

Every night around 10 pm they have a pumped-up version of this cleaner, the ones with the circulating brooms on the bottom that seem to be wet, running up and down Church St outside my place. It seems to just run up and down the curb lane. It's really loud and very annoying. Does anyone know what this one does??

is it like a bobcat with a sweeper attachment?

quick_sweep_2.jpg

I used to see them going up and down grass along suburban roads, but it's been a while...I'm sure Miller moved them all downtown.

Yep, that's exactly it. It's basically a flat cirular version of that pic that was posted by Promotheus. What does it accomplish?

Yep, that's exactly it. It's basically a flat cirular version of that pic that was posted by Promotheus. What does it accomplish?

it's a sweeper. debris is collected in behind the rotating brush in a container. it's like a broom with a dustpan, only instead, the broom is a rotating brush. alot of construction companies use them to clean the road before they spread asphalt.

the bonus of this equipment is that you can attach it to a skid steer like a bobcat or case. instead of buying a dedicated machine, you buy an attachment which costs less. you can attach all kinds of things to skid steers like jack hammers, snow plows, forks, etc. so you can do alot of jobs with the same machine.

Those larger "wet" versions I have no problem with. You can see that they do actually make a difference when cleaning large swaths of street.

But these smaller ones are so useless! How many does the city have and what is it costing? Seriously, I'd like to see a competition between a guy with a broom and one of these things to see who's faster and does a better job!

The guy with a broom does a better job for cheaper, cheap enough to hire two guys, probably...naturally, this won't be done.

if the machine is *used properly*, it does a better job. i bet they don't empty their collectors as often as they should.

Those larger "wet" versions I have no problem with. You can see that they do actually make a difference when cleaning large swaths of street.

But these smaller ones are so useless! How many does the city have and what is it costing? Seriously, I'd like to see a competition between a guy with a broom and one of these things to see who's faster and does a better job!

...and they don't appreciate it at all when you point out that they missed a bit of litter

Every time I see them it's like they target some specific piece of litter and then ignore everything else around it. It's bizarre.

Back