News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Street Canvassers

get a hidden microphone and have a friend wear it while he gets caught by the charity peddlers.

From a hidden corner, record the event on a video tape.

Then combine the audio & video tracks and you will be a Youtube superstar!

The ones that really get me are the "Black History" men on Yonge. They are really bad sometimes, and have little idea what their aim is (as they bug everyone that passes). Since you have referred to a "her", I doubt you are referring to them.

Their aim is to make money by selling a photocopied book for $10. Basically it is aggressive panhandling disguised as activism.

Name the group. Chuggers (charity muggers) are a nuisance - and they include Sick Kids (you support sick kids? - you monster!), Greenpeace, Amnesty International, Medicins Sans Frontiers but this takes the cake. There, I named some names of charities (and very legit charities) that somewhat annoy me, but want to know who these uncharacteristically uber-obnoxious ones are.

The ones that really get me are the "Black History" men on Yonge. They are really bad sometimes, and have little idea what their aim is (as they bug everyone that passes). Since you have referred to a "her", I doubt you are referring to them.

In case yhou didn't know, individuals soliciting money on behalf of Sick Kids, Greenpeace etc., work for base salary plus a commission. The more they collect, the more they get. It is just a jopb.

I cannot name the group because they wouldn't even give me the name of their group. They are a bunch of Asian women who wear a white cardigan and carries a rectangular, black leather-like pocket book that looks like one you get from the waiter when they present you the bill. There is at least a few slots on the inside, and a place near the top center that looks like a spot for someone's photo. I may be wrong, but they tend to target Asian communities, especially where much of the population does not speak English or have no access to help escaping from them.

Down the street is the office of a controversial religious group that is famous for suing people, especially the media, so I worry if they are the same group, I would get into a lot of trouble. I recall they've made copyright claims against people who made hidden recordings.

controversial religious group that is famous for suing people

let me guess, did they offer you a free stress test?

It is indeed a good idea for you to protect your identity from "that" religion. We should also avoid mentioning it's name here, because they will find us via google if we do.

We will have to come up with a creative solution to this problem. You have my full support.

First option is call the police and see if there is anything they can do for you, second call the office of your local councilor.

Failing this, you might want to try video-recording route. Youtube allows the video to remain anonymous , so there is no way they could trace down who did it.

Last edited:
I've heard of these guys - are they the ones who believe in souls trapped on earth, of spaceships looking mysteriously similar to DC-8s?

Don't worry about them. They've been fair game at UT.

Muh huh huh huh
- Evil Lord Z***

----
John Doe

Those Black History guys get on my nerve, and I'm West Indian! "brother", "brother" 'Help a brother out!" Sorry, not giving you money when you try to pull the race card.

'

05secret_scientologist_xenu_story05.jpg

No, they weren't giving free stress tests. They were simply pushing for donations without ever explaining why one should donate (except to stop them from bugging, following, and surrounding you) or to which organization they belong. Either they are not the same group or this is their new strategy.

Doesn't sound like the e-meter crowd's style. Are the "Asians" Pacific-Islander Asians? Did they talk about the photos being that of children need help after a disaster of some kind?

AoD

I believe they are islander Asians but not related to the disasters because they've been around for a long time. They never specify what it's for and just shout something along the lines of, "WOULD YOU LIKE TO DONATE? IT'S FOR A GOOD CAUSE!!!!" Several of them at once too, and non-stop. That's one of many quirks about them that make me suspicious of their legal status and motive.

Those guys really tick me off. If you go past them without acknowledging their existence, they shout stuff thats within a hair of accusing you of being racist ("don't want to talk to a black man?"); if you give them a moment's time its ten minutes to get away without saying something rude.

At least the Nation of Islam sells delicious bean pies when they congregate on street corners in LA. Who wants a book of photocopies for a sawbuck?

Edit: The Sick kids chuggers are a fricking nuisance as well. Their head of fundraising makes something like 560k a year. Why not ask him for dough? I'm sure you could find out where he works and set up out front of there.

Those guys really tick me off. If you go past them without acknowledging their existence, they shout stuff thats within a hair of accusing you of being racist ("don't want to talk to a black man?"); if you give them a moment's time its ten minutes to get away without saying something rude.

At least the Nation of Islam sells delicious bean pies when they congregate on street corners in LA. Who wants a book of photocopies for a sawbuck?

Edit: The Sick kids chuggers are a fricking nuisance as well. Their head of fundraising makes something like 560k a year. Why not ask him for dough? I'm sure you could find out where he works and set up out front of there.

I really depise comments like these ... they fall into the same boat as why does Hydro 1's CEO max so much $$$ or why any high ranking employee of a government backed corporations (LCBO/OLG/...) ... the point is they get paid whatever the market stipultes - likely less actually in government positions - if you want to attract the best talent that's what it takes ... if the CEO's of every other private company get paid X and you want to pay them X/2 ... who are you likely to get?

Back