News   Oct 02, 2024
 4.7K     1 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 680     0 

Strange subway map

Archivist

Member Bio
Reaction score
I came across this subway map, and it must be some French city, but it seems so eerily familiar that I feel almost as if I've been on the subway before.

STTsmall.jpg

(Click for larger image).

I came across this subway map, and it must be some French city, but it seems so eerily familiar that I feel almost as if I've been on the subway before.

STTsmall.jpg

(Click for larger image).

bridge? pope? wtf! how does pape translate to pope? why would they translate dupont to bridge? isn't bridge english? it's supposed to be a french map. :confused:

'Pape' means pope in french, and 'pont' means bridge (du pont would mean 'of the bridge'). Although I agree that it's weird that they reverse translated them.

Toronteau

Looks like some Chinese city also has a subway system laid out like ours...

Map

Well, actually those words don't really have a meaning. Most are just sounds written in Chinese for English name. Only few actually makes sense like "North York Center". I don't know why they bother with a French version though o_O. They should leave it as English. I'm sure French people can read latin characters.

Well, actually those words don't really have a meaning. Most are just sounds written in Chinese for English name.

I know that most names on that map are transliterations of the English names, but there are some odd stations with direct translations... such as Rosedale, Summerhill, Bayview and Victoria Park (no doubt the translator made a connection to the park with the same name in Hong Kong).

Some interesting translations include Queen's Park (which became 'Ontario Provincial Legislature Building' in Chinese) and Scarborough Centre (now 'Scarborough Shopping Centre').

Back