Store Fronts!

Revealed on Yonge opposite Castlefield:

oldsign.jpg

Attachments

• oldsign.jpg
    oldsign.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,931
Those 'ghost' signs are wonderful.
This one is at an abandoned auto dealership at Lawrence/Birchmount.

autodealer-Lawrence-Birchmount2014_zpsfbab2103.jpg

A couple of cleaners (the first of which was immortalized in a Kids In The Hall sketch):

Owner Peter recently passed in early 2014. RIP

Sorry to hear that. Was he the guy who appeared in the sketch [1:50]?

[video=youtube;vZ5YccZlbEg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ5YccZlbEg[/video]

I seem to remember in the dvd commentary they mentioned the guy in the sketch was the actual owner (or, at least, worked there) and that they had to do a bunch of takes because he was always "hamming it up" too much!

03/14/1969 -- Shopping plaza signs like these in Scarborough, between Victoria Park and Pharmacy Ave., would have been governed by a bylaw rejected yesterday by the Legislature's private bill committee. Scarborough officials sought power to order removal of advertising signs that were not esthetically compatible with their environment. Attorney-General Arthur Wishart termed the proposal outrageous.
Mario Geo

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but I like the individuality that accompanies those old signs. Yonge St. was certainly more vibrant before all the old neon was removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was by this place last June and it was closed down, but I liked the sign so I thought I'd grab a quick picture as the plaza is slated for development, too bad I didn't take a better one. 621 Kennedy road at Corvette.

IMG_0642.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,236
Yes I have lived in this area(Bathust & Wilson) for over 50 yrs. This drugstore was privately owned for many years after selling out to Shoppers. I have seen so many changes in this area over the years.
Brooklyn Furniture has been there since the 1950's, I remember going there as kid with my parents. Also Sea-Hi restaurant used to be a bowling alley before then, I could tell you so many more stories.

Fred136
Fred, I grew up on a street called Charleswood Dr. in the 1950s & 1960s and at the time there was a farmhouse dividing the street, owned by an old time farmer by the name of Stewart. I also recall the Aikenheads store in the Loblaws parking lot, so do you recall these items, which are long gone now. What year did you move into the area?

Odd sign on Sheppard Ave, E. near Midland.

Diary Mart sigh-Shrppard Ave. E-web.jpg

Attachments

• Diary Mart sigh-Shrppard Ave. E-web.jpg
    Diary Mart sigh-Shrppard Ave. E-web.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 623

Back