News   Apr 23, 2024
 462     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 381     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Stockyards, The (30 Weston Rd. @ St. Clair, retail, Trinity, 2s, GreenbergFarrow)

The 2nd floor format could be an issue for retailers that sell big bulky items. A grocery store would work--as would Canadian Tire. Don't rule out existing retailers in the area either, who could move and redevelop their properties.

The 2nd floor format could be an issue for retailers that sell big bulky items. A grocery store would work--as would Canadian Tire. Don't rule out existing retailers in the area either, who could move and redevelop their properties.

There is a upper level parking lot and there are elevators.

Loblaws is definitely under represented in the area. The Roncesvalles location is very dated and the Dundas and Jane is quite small. A massive Supercentre type Loblaws location would do well in this area.

Loblaws is definitely under represented in the area. The Roncesvalles location is very dated and the Dundas and Jane is quite small. A massive Supercentre type Loblaws location would do well in this area.

There is a Metro store across the street and west a little. A short walk, next to the LCBO & (self-serve) The Beer Store.

There is a upper level parking lot and there are elevators.

Still haven't been in the Stockyards mall, so I'm not sure. How big is it? Let's say I went into Lowes to buy lumber, could I exit through the elevator with it?

Also, Metro is terrible. More expensive even than Loblaws, I find.

Costcos with multilevel parking lots are quite common in more densely populated cities. Here's one in Harlem, NY:

Costco_2009_11_12.jpg

Attachments

• Costco_2009_11_12.jpg
    Costco_2009_11_12.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 6,678

Also large Loblaws at St.Clair & Bathurst and also Dupont & Christie.

Target was the anchor at the StockYards shopping district and the Target did have a grocery store section. As does the large Walmart a few blocks to the west. Keeping in mind, there's a Metro grocery store nearby.

For the StockYards shopping district to succeed, it needs a functional anchor tenant,.... the traditional shopping anchors of the past were department stores and they don't serve as solid anchors these days - think Simpson, Eaton's, Target, the Bay, Sears,.... though Walmart does well! Today's anchor needs to sell grocery as does Walmart,.... grocery is something that everybody buys every few days. Grocery will get customers to a shopping district like the StockYards.

But the area is already relatively well served with large grocery supermarkets like Metro and Walmart,.... so what does the StockYard need to do,... sell grocery in a different format like St.Lawrence market with farmers market and specialized groceries stores. Convert that 2nd floor retail space used by Target into an open market like a european marketplace,.... the nearby Italian folks along St.Clair West will go to StockYards to do their grocery shopping especially in the Winter because the marketplace will be indoors and protected from the elements.

This is the kind of suburban, corporate, non-design crap that really pisses me off: giant signs meant to be seen by cars speeding by at 70 km/h, slapped without thought into an alleyway where they're completely out of sight. No one thought to put smaller signs hanging perpendicular to the wall, and at the eye level of pedestrians?

The Target was insanely busy today. I went in because I have $50 worth of gift cards. No deals but just a lot of people.

I'm not a fan of this development, but the accusation above is unfair.

Those signs aren't meant to be seen by cars speeding by at 70 km/h, because there aren't any speeding cars there: that's the back of that line of stores, and all of those signs face into the parking garage. The front doors to those stores are not down that alleyway; those are just loading doors there.

In the image below you can see that there are smaller signs mounted perpendicularly to the walls which do let pedestrians know where the doors to a number of the stores are. 'Bell' is the easiest to see. Maybe that's a vendor by vendor decision sign-wise.

That said, I'll reiterate, I am not a fan of this development. It should have been built to a similar quality as that in evidence at the Shops at Don Mills, which is vastly more welcoming than this plaza.

Last edited:
The Target was insanely busy today. I went in because I have $50 worth of gift cards. No deals but just a lot of people.

Thats funny. Some coworkers went to the location at East York Town Centre last week (after the announcement) and said the same thing! Seems like the negative publicity is definitely helping them out now.

The stockyards development was originally supposed to include some kind of cinema multiplex in the project. My understanding is that due to a number if economic factors and a resistance from the adjacent meatpacking plant to sell. The cinemas were not included.
Perhaps the target and its parking lot could be converted to cinema space. Though I doubt the owners would be willing to spend more in modifications fot this sink hole.

The general west-central York area s woefully underserved by cinemas save for the few remaining independent ones nearby on Roncesvalles and the Humber

Lastly, I can say with near confidence this will not be a Loblaws of any sort.

My recommendation would be either further subdivision of the space or a Costco with the ground level parking converted to their warehouse and using the available freight elevator from the adjacent receiving docks.

This is the kind of suburban, corporate, non-design crap that really pisses me off: giant signs meant to be seen by cars speeding by at 70 km/h, slapped without thought into an alleyway where they're completely out of sight. No one thought to put smaller signs hanging perpendicular to the wall, and at the eye level of pedestrians?

This is a case of being self-misinformed for the purposes of raging to rage. Do you see a road in that picture? If you don't, go on with your corporate design hate somewhere else.

BisNow is reporting that RioCan has "signed Nations Fresh Foods to occupy the entire 153k SF former Target space". Nations Fresh Foods is a two-store grocery chain operating stores in Vaughan and Hamilton.

Back