1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

Stinson files for bankruptcy protection

Instability, huh? Hate to see something like this happen
sunsphere.jpg

The problems, said Mr. Mirvish, were that his partner didn't seem to have concrete plan.

There, my friends, is the precis of Harry Stinson's entire career.

Does he own a unit in 1 King West? I think he's still working and living in Dallas (picture Michael's condo townhouse from 'the Office')...suburban Dallas and 1 King West, now that's living the high life! Although he's probably too busy to actually join the Ontario Club or sample the many perks that 1 King West has to offer, perhaps he chipped in to help take the art off the walls to get some face time in with the Harry.

note to self.....never, ever have any financial dealings with Harry Stinson, or any of his companies....:(

When he issued those bonds with his 'personal guarantee', we commented on how desperate he seemed.

First Gino Empry dies, then the Dominion Club fails, now Speed Stick's great visionary stumbles. Can things get much worse?

..and yet at the end of the day Mr. Simsom was successful in biulding the most noteworthy residential highrise in Canadian history. Well done, I'd buy a beer for you anytime my friend.

As an owner in this development, I can tell you that I am very disappointed in both Harry and David. Harry has a great vision and works tirelessly but lacks any business sense. Harry has put into place a very qualified mgmt team and I think ultimately, this will be a success. This hotel consistently gets very high grades from travellors (check the comments on many travel sites) and I still believe in the potential of this development. Fortunately, I have had my unit rented out for $1800/month almost from the beginning but I do plan to put it back into the rental pool as soon as the tax issue gets sorted out and my tennant no longer wants to use it.

Long term, this will be a good investment because as everyone knows in R/E, it is all about location and the basic elements of this building are spectacular. Show me another new condo development in TO that comes close. By the way, check the MLS listings, there are some great deals from investors that are panicing!

..and yet at the end of the day Mr. Simsom was successful in biulding the most noteworthy residential highrise in Canadian history.

Well, actually, no. Harry failed to build it. If Mirvish hadn't lent him the money, it wouldn't have been built.

And there's a fine line between noteworthy and infamous. If I was an investor, I'd be panicking too. Tax problems, lawsuits, loads of bad press and Harry Stinson talking up a storm about how shitty the build quality is...not exactly a recipe for increasing property values.

Well, at least our picture of the day today indicates that there are much more confidence-inspiring people coming up to replace the former "Condo King."

Is it possible to convert 1 King to 100% hotel business?

Imagine a large hotel chain coming in and buying out the freaked out individual owners (at a discount of course)?

I mean you can't beat the location and I heard the occupancy rate for the existing hotel stock is above average.

Just a thought.

Well, at least our picture of the day today indicates that there are much more confidence-inspiring people coming up to replace the former "Condo King."
IMG_0765.jpg

Tom Of Condoland?

Back